advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Onamuji..is the Asus RT-AC68U usable as.....
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 08, 2017 12:43PM
a complete replacement for an ATT DSL modem?

My Folks have ATT DSL and I want to increase the range and power..

Can i ditch the ATT modem and just install this router that you recommended in that oTheR thread? Or does it have to be hooked up the provided ATT equipment?

I don't know much.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Onamuji..is the Asus RT-AC68U usable as.....
Posted by: clay
Date: March 08, 2017 12:46PM
you still need a dsl modem, but you could skip the wireless component of the att gear and use the asus for wifi.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 08, 2017 12:54PM
ok..cool..just trying to avoid another clump-nest of crap hooked together..

Is there a worthy and equivalent option for only having one box?

Maybe something made by or approved by ATT?
Posted by: clay
Date: March 08, 2017 01:18PM
Actiontec makes a lot of the DSL modems (or at least, they used to) for ISP's. I had one of theirs that was a Verizon branded device when i had verizon DSL. They have a combo dsl modem/wifi router device that may suit your needs:
[www.actiontec.com]

Not sure if it would meet your needs or not, but might be worth a look.

I also used their plain old DSL modem and added my own wireless router for a time, and that worked well.
Posted by: numbered
Date: March 08, 2017 02:46PM
One question is the status of the ATT services in their area. ATT is trying to force an upgrade to its uverse product everywhere they have made the investment. If they have, or are going to get, uverse you will have almost no choice but to use their modem. (A few geeks have tried to find ways to use other hardware.) Their modem(s) do provide wifi, but it is not great.

As clay said, you can turn off the ATT wifi and use your own. But in uverse you have to use their hardware (and settings and dns and so on.)
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 08, 2017 03:27PM
Have you tested the current setups range? (Im not sure what "power" means)

Call ATT to ask them if they have something newer they can replace it with?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: March 08, 2017 07:08PM
It's not a modem.

If your modem provides WiFi, you should get into the web browser admin panel for it and turn WiFi off when connecting a good WiFi router to it.

The WiFi router then creates a new network. With a good router that has multiple external antennas and does MIMO (or "beamforming") it is likely to be faster and more reliable than the WiFi network you had off of the old modem.

...But there's a caveat. Lots of places -- notably old homes with plaster walls -- are designed to defeat WiFi. If you've got a house like that then it doesn't matter what make/model device you're using for WiFi. It's not going to work. This is the point where techs start talking about powerline Ethernet and mesh networks as potential solutions.

...When I wrote about the Asus in the previous thread, the OP had promoted an Airport router as the best solution for good coverage in his home. In any situation where an Apple Airport provides decent coverage, the Asus will probably be better. But if coverage sucks because the house is built to block WiFi then a single WiFi router is not likely to improve anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 07:17PM by Onamuji.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 08, 2017 08:05PM
Ona,

Another option is to use MoCa adapters. On one side of the home, use the modem-router provided by the ISP, connect a MoCa box to it. On the other side, add a MoCa box and then connect the 2nd router to it. On the 2nd router, activate it as a wireless access point only (aka bridge mode). I've had to do that in two difference houses and in my own apartment.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 336
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015