advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
All ths router talk -- switching to Comcast... is there an alternative to their routermodem...
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 08, 2017 03:36PM
Heres my problem -- the ones that I google and see the reviews on are $200.

ARRIS SURFboard SBG7580AC Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem/ Wi-Fi AC1750 Router --$209

Netgear Nighthawk C7000 --$195

But if I "rent" from comcast @ $10 a month = almost 2 years before I break even? (if I even keep comcast after 1 year)

I might be able to save a few bucks with separate units, but maybe $50? So still need to keep comcast for more than a year... and if I do switch away from comcast... then I resell it?

thoughts?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: All ths router talk -- switching to Comcast... is there an alternative to their routermodem...
Posted by: hal
Date: March 08, 2017 03:58PM
The lazyman route - in times of problems, comcast will blame your router and that will be the end of it - get a comcast router THEN we'll talk.

At least, that's how I imagine how it would go... I rent...
Re: All ths router talk -- switching to Comcast... is there an alternative to their routermodem...
Date: March 08, 2017 04:04PM
hal
The lazyman route - in times of problems, comcast will blame your router and that will be the end of it - get a comcast router THEN we'll talk.

Well, I think it used to be that way, but they now have tons of "recommndations" on their site and links to where to buy. They dont seem to be discouraging it. The only router I have is a way old Bufflao W54G -- which was one of the best in its day -- but now pretty much useless unless you have less than G speeds...

----

Posted by: John B.
Date: March 08, 2017 04:09PM
You can buy a DOCSIS 3 cable modem for less than $100 at Target (or any big box store). Even cheaper if you get a refurb online. Not sure I see the value of integrating your wireless access point with your cable modem into a single device...their standards will evolve at different rates.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 08, 2017 05:05PM
Amazon Arris Surfboard $88.99
Plays well with Comcast. On their approved list.
Will not work with Comcast Phone. Is not wireless. Plays nice with Airport.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 05:07PM by Bernie.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 08, 2017 05:19PM
You will need to consult the Comcast web site to see which third-party modems they have identified as being compatible with their system.

If you have VoIP service through Comcast, you probably won't have any third-party options available.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: March 08, 2017 05:25PM
Bernie
Amazon Arris Surfboard $88.99
Plays well with Comcast. On their approved list.
Will not work with Comcast Phone. Is not wireless. Plays nice with Airport.

just bought that and installed it last week. 16 channels down. My old cable modem was 6 years old and it saved me a bundle but it only had 4 channels down. Never so much as a hiccup out of it.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 05:26PM by Schpark.
Date: March 08, 2017 05:47PM
John B.
You can buy a DOCSIS 3 cable modem for less than $100 at Target (or any big box store). Even cheaper if you get a refurb online. Not sure I see the value of integrating your wireless access point with your cable modem into a single device...their standards will evolve at different rates.

Yeah, but thats only giving me 1/2 of the solution.

So $100 for a modem... and I still need a wireless router -- so back to $200 for the pair...right?

And if Comcast standards change = I get a new modem for free from them.

N-OS X-tasy!
You will need to consult the Comcast web site to see which third-party modems they have identified as being compatible with their system.

They have tons...

----

Posted by: Forrest
Date: March 08, 2017 06:19PM
ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem for $59.97 at Amazon. ASUS RT-ACRH13 Dual-Band 2x2 AC1300 Wifi 4-port Gigabit Router with USB 3.0 for $69.99 at Amazon.
Date: March 08, 2017 06:59PM
Well, more research came up with the NETGEAR N450 WiFi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router -- $70 and comcast approved.

Really want to avoid the dual box thing...

Now I see comcast wants $15 for self install box + $15 shipping. ugh.

nickel and effing dime to death.

----

Posted by: Onamuji
Date: March 08, 2017 07:05PM
jdc
And if Comcast standards change = I get a new modem for free from them.

Not without a big fuss and either a trip to their offices or a service-visit for a fee.

But standards are not going to change for a long time unless you're in a competitive market and odds are that you're not.

A modern DOCSIS 3.0 modem easily covers almost any service up to gigabit speeds.

DOCSIS 3.1 would be for gigabit on upwards.

DOCSIS 3.0 is probably more than sufficient for you for the next decade if not longer. If Google Fiber isn't present in your town, Comcast probably won't offer you more than 105Mbps and that'll be at such a premium price that when you see your first bill your eyes will melt out of your skull.

...You've been thinking about this the wrong way. Comcast will steal you blind, rape your women and eat your children and they'll do it for as long as you're under their evil sway.

Scrape some hope from the depths of your subjugation. Buy your own modem. Keep a few bucks away from those a-holes.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 08, 2017 07:16PM
I'm not positive about jdc's location, but the typical speed in a large California city is 125 Mbps.

$112 - ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 1.4 Gbps down, 262 Mbps upload - 32 download & 8 upload channels, future proof until Verizon offers 1.0 Gbps 5G wireless.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: March 08, 2017 07:25PM
I read google fiber is dead...

Yeah, I dont need anything fancy -- everything here is wireless, so dont even need a wired router -- and getting the basic 100 MB service, so 3.1 is overkill. Just a small single story house, and our current wireless router (courtesy of ATT uverse) covers everything fine.

FWIW, making all the switches to save some $$ swithing away from Uverse.

Got DTV for $100 and now comcast for $40 -- $60 less than Uverse.

----

Date: March 08, 2017 07:27PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I'm not positive about jdc's location, but the typical speed in a large California city is 125 Mbps.

$112 - ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 1.4 Gbps down, 262 Mbps upload - 32 download & 8 upload channels, future proof until Verizon offers 1.0 Gbps 5G wireless.

thanks, but still only half the solution.

----

Date: March 08, 2017 07:30PM
jdc
N-OS X-tasy!

They have tons...

Cool! Surprised to hear it, actually - I was under the impression that Comcast did everything possible from discouraging the use of third-party modems on its network.

It is what it is.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: March 08, 2017 07:44PM
KomKast, Southen Sektor reporting, and we must have landline phone, stuck with KomKast's modem, stuck with having to rent it! Onamuji is right, as usual, but, this time, I wish he were wrong.cry smiley

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 08, 2017 07:58PM
jdc
Well, more research came up with the NETGEAR N450 WiFi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router -- $70 and comcast approved.

Really want to avoid the dual box thing...

Now I see comcast wants $15 for self install box + $15 shipping. ugh.

nickel and effing dime to death.

Oh, that is just the start of the nickel and dime charges you will see from Comcr&p. Just wait until your introductory offer expires, and every month in between and after as they add some new charge to recover some expense or another.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: March 08, 2017 08:04PM
N-OS X-tasy!
jdc
N-OS X-tasy!

They have tons...

Cool! Surprised to hear it, actually - I was under the impression that Comcast did everything possible from discouraging the use of third-party modems on its network.

It's the law. They have to certify anything that meets industry-standards.

...At least until the present head of the FCC gets down that far on his list of good works to un-do.

Posted by: wave rider
Date: March 08, 2017 10:52PM
We have had the 6183 and a referb AEB for year and three quarters. Have worked great. Has been worth the slightly extra dollars as far as I am concerned.

Hide the modem and enjoy the lovely AEB if esthetics are important...

=wr=
Date: March 08, 2017 11:32PM
thanks all -- ended up getting a TP-Link N300 DOCSIS 3.0 (8x4) Wireless Wi-Fi Cable Modem Router -- it was $10 more than the netgear I mentioned above, but better reviews, 2 year vs 1 year warranty, and seemed to be a newer model.

----

Date: March 08, 2017 11:54PM
TP-Link makes good stuff.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 209
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015