Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dog Lovers, I need help. Golden Retriever/ St Bernard ITCHING
Posted by: Microman
Date: March 09, 2017 11:35AM
Dog has no fleas, but may have allergies. I know, should just take to dr. But prior to that, to stop loosing hair, is there any home remedy that we can use to try and make dog feel better.

Thanks...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dog Lovers, I need help. Golden Retriever/ St Bernard ITCHING
Posted by: bik
Date: March 09, 2017 11:46AM
What have you tried?

How about a moisturizing shampoo with oatmeal, tea tree oil, or both.

One example:
[www.petcarerx.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: March 09, 2017 11:49AM
between fleas, ticks, ( you usually find those with shorter haired dogs ) hot spots, eczema, seborhea, and who knows what else you really need a vet or trained/exp person to identify the problem. One of our labs had hot spots which we gave oatmeal shampoo baths and watched their diet. We had a couple of labs with food allergies that would get a rash/dry skin on their lower back. Can't remember what it was in their diet we avoided letting them eat.
I've always liked vegetables for treats, like carrots and string beans. They'll often eat anything you do even if they spit it out the first taste.
Better than processed who-knows-what, kinda like with people.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: rexs
Date: March 09, 2017 12:19PM
Our Sheltie was losing hair and flaking skin. The vet suggested a round of alergy tests starting at $800. This was a no go. She then suggested a change in diet to remove everything he was eating and try different food. We tried duck and potato. It was expensive, but it worked.
Posted by: jesse
Date: March 09, 2017 12:52PM
I have a smaller chihuahua mix that was constantly itching and chewing, vet gave him a cortisone shot that helped, also recommended I give him Benadryl to help relieve the itching, it helped, but what cleared it up was adding coconut oil to his food, he's stopped itching and his hair grew back.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 09, 2017 01:29PM
Winter dry skin is also a possible problem. I second the idea of oatmeal bath. Good luck ! Poor Wuppie !
Posted by: numbered
Date: March 09, 2017 01:47PM
Don't have a diagnostic tree, but is the hair falling out on its own, or is scratching the issue? If you suspect allergy you can give dogs Benadryl. Often prescribed, google for dosage. At least this will give an indication about whether allergy is the issue. (It can also be a tranquilizer so don't worry too much about subdued behavior.) If it is allergy, then a diet change/or other environmental issue needs to be managed.

Dry skin, hair falling out can be an issue of needing more fats in the diet. Try an oil supplement--salmon oil is good--even if you are feeding premium food. This will often fix a problem like you describe, and in pretty short order, maybe a week. (I would try this before Benadryl depending on the severity of the issue.)

If it turns into a real hot spot, a vet will want to use a steroid to stop the itching and scratching. But it does not sound this localized (yet)?

A soothing tub might be good for instantaneous benefit, but probably would not last 24 hours.....and it is a bad idea for a hot spot.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: March 09, 2017 03:52PM
You can use Benadryl spray on the hot spot. We've done that for our dogs. It worked better for us than any of the "pet" anti-hot spot sprays...
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: March 09, 2017 05:44PM
Poor thing, I'd also improve his food. And try benadryl spray or cream. I've used cream on our dog, it helps.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Microman
Date: March 09, 2017 09:48PM
This is the food from Costco:

In the past for another dog, I used a mix in a spray bottle of baby oil, water, and original listerine mouthwash for HOT SPOTS
Posted by: dad@home
Date: March 09, 2017 11:34PM
My old Golden who died last year of cancer suffered for years with constant itching and scratching. He would scratch and chew himself raw.
Vet treated the symptoms with Benadryl and later oral steroids. This was mostly effective but the poor pup was never free from it.
After we moved to another town we got a new vet who diagnosed mange.
[en.wikipedia.org]

"A common and simple way of determining if a dog has mange is if it displays what is called a "pedal-pinna reflex", which is when the dog moves one of its hind legs in a scratching motion as the ear is being manipulated and scratched gently by the examiner; because the mites proliferate on the ear margins in nearly all cases at some point, this method works over 95% of the time."

He prescribed Selamectin at monthly intervals with much better results. In fact we were able to wean him off the antihistamine and steroids within 4 months.

good luck

John

Passing gas in Spokane since 1999

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2017 11:35PM by dad@home.
Posted by: bik
Date: March 10, 2017 09:27AM
I can't say that the food you posted is definitely causing the problem, but it definitely is not doing the dog any favors.

I would recommend trying a better quality food. It might make a difference in the dog's overall health, if not this specific issue.

Foods that are 50ยข/lb at Costco or Walmart generally have ingredients lists like:
Ground Whole Corn
Meat And Bone Meal
Ground Whole Wheat
Corn Gluten Meal
Animal Fat

Note: Corn is not a good ingredient for dogs, but it's cheap. Meat and bone meal is not real meat.

The top ingredients in a quality, healthy food should look closer to:
Chicken
brewers rice
whole grain wheat
poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine)
corn gluten meal

Note: Real meat of some kind as the first ingredient. This kind of food will cost closer to $1-$2/lb.

Premium foods will have no corn and maybe no grains at all, but they can be quite expensive.

Microman
This is the food from Costco:

In the past for another dog, I used a mix in a spray bottle of baby oil, water, and original listerine mouthwash for HOT SPOTS
Posted by: numbered
Date: March 10, 2017 09:43AM
bik
I would recommend trying a better quality food.

Yup, I think the food should be upgraded. bik's point are good. The Kirkland Signature stuff at Costco is not bad. The premium dog food category has gone nuts, with dozens of expensive brands. You probably do not need to go there, but eliminating corn, and adding good protein and decent fats will help.

Depending on whether the dog has a delicate-or-dinosaur digestive system, changing foods should be given some thought. A slow transition (adding a little more new food each day over a week to become 100% of the new food) is probably best.

To get quicker relief I would also give the salmon oil supplement. 2-3 squirts on the food will show improvement in a week. This choice at Amazon works well.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 10, 2017 02:07PM
I know this is stupid, but I would maybe try to get some oil to the dog's skin for soothing purposes. I hope "dog" feels better right away.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015