advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
BRAND of brothers?!.....do you only buy brand names.....???
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 13, 2017 10:59PM
.....are you are brand wh*re.....or do you buy 'generic'/private label....??

......with stores like Trader Joe's or Aldi's.....it depends on item......just bought Royal Gelatin [ .60 cents ] vs. Jell-O Gelatin [ $1.10 ] and saved about 1/2 the price......

......more likely to buy Aldi's brand stuff which saves money......

.........only thing I won't buy cheap is toilet paper....and maybe toothpaste......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2017 11:02PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: BRAND of brothers?!.....do you only buy brand names.....???
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 13, 2017 11:05PM
Depends
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: March 13, 2017 11:28PM
Some of Aldi's toilet paper is actually very good.
I've grown to trust Aldi branded products.
I won't buy generic or "white-label" hard drives, or generic RAM.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: March 13, 2017 11:59PM
space-time
Depends

Ah, that's a pisser...

Posted by: billb
Date: March 14, 2017 12:18AM
I tend to read ingredient labels, not the hype on the front.

But you can't even trust ingredient labels.

It's not just pet foods from China either.
[www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com]

I just keep digging up more of the lawn trying to grow more of my own.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 14, 2017 12:25AM
It varies a lot. Store brands frequently are great values. Love Trader Joe's stuff, and a lot of Kirkland Signature.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 14, 2017 01:04AM
Varies by product. I do not like Costco/Kirkland toilet paper. I can tolerate just about anything else except Scott 1000 sheet or shiny institution stuff. I will buy lots of store brands if they are any good.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 14, 2017 01:17AM
space-time
Depends

Well, poop.

It is what it is.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: March 14, 2017 01:33AM
Wife does the buying of groceries and house supplies, she watches for coupons and sales and buys brand names. According to her, watch the sales and you can buy brand names just as cheap or cheaper as off brands. The only generic brands bought are things like OTC medications -- read the labels if they contain the same ingredients you can save big. Claritin® is a good example generic store brand is $5.00 less expensive and contains the exact same ingredients. Aspirin is aspirin!!

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 14, 2017 02:35AM
I buy mostly generic except for Velveeta cheese and Charmin toilet paper and a few others that don't come to mind.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 14, 2017 05:54AM
Many store brands are made by the brand names.

For example - a couple years ago Skippy Peanut Butter had to do a recall, also recalled was Great Value Peanut butter (Wal-Mart brand). Same peanut butter, different label, cheaper price because no marketing is involved.

There are also companies that do nothing but private labels - all the products are the same, just different labels. Cott is such company - they own and market brand names like RC Cola, 7-up, Dr. Pepper, and Snapple. Cott also produces store brand drinks for Wal-Mart, Publix, and others. Pretty much all that changes is the label.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: March 14, 2017 06:42AM
.....the rumor is that Trader Joe's and or Aldi contract with name brands for their store brands, so some items are name brand items.....and yes most private labels are done through the same company who just rebrand to different private label brands but the products are essentially the same.....

Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 14, 2017 07:22AM
What are you going to do when you get your answers? How will it affect your day? Our day?

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 14, 2017 07:52AM
Hi everyone,

I'll plus one what people have said about store brands. Most are made by the same companies that produce name brand products. However, that doesn't make them identical. Far from. Cheerios come to mind. I've tried dozens of versions and only real Cheerios taste like Cheerios. Some clones are pretty close, but there is something about the real thing that sets them apart.

I have to say you need to be careful when it comes to buying generic versions of medication. Medication isn't necessarily just medication. Chemically, the active ingredient of generic and name-brand medication might be the same. However, the inactive ingredients can differ and that could be enough to cause problems. I know people who use Benadryl. No problems. They can't use generic versions because of a reaction to the inactive ingredients.

This is not to say I won't purchase store-brand products. I do so quite a bit of the time. Sometimes I like store brand versions more than name brand versions. It comes down to the specific product and the price.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2017 07:55AM by Robert M.
Posted by: max
Date: March 14, 2017 09:01AM
NewtonMP2100
.....just bought Royal Gelatin [ .60 cents ] vs. Jell-O Gelatin [ $1.10 ] and saved about 1/2 the price......
Should not be opposite?...seems the horse it came from were of royal stables, versus the branded equines...
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 14, 2017 09:45AM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
space-time
Depends

Ah, that's a pisser...

Damn..

THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Date: March 14, 2017 09:52AM
my wife has done some pretty extensive snooping and has uncovered a bunch of products at T-Joes..that show up at other outlets such as Whole Foods and some of the boutiquey food places around town..crackers, cookies..all sort of stuff..more than you actually notice cause you don't see it every day unless you make your way around to these other places..like she does..cause she's a freak and a pro foody.

We were talking about this the other day cause i asked her if she had ever shopped at an Aldi.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 14, 2017 10:14AM
There are a few products that The Boss has informed be that only name brands will do. But in most cases we go for Aldi's store brands. Cuts the food bill almost in HALF. And.. it's a heck of a lot easier for this ADHD shopper, who can get really confused with too many choices.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 14, 2017 10:45AM
Local grocery store Has all of these "Compare" signs on the store brand next to the name brand items on the shelf. I have done so with many products, some are cheaper, others are just "cheap". Main problem is watching for changes in suppliers on the store brand items, it can change my choice.

As an example, I used to buy the store brand natural peanut butter as it was almost as good as Teddie brand natural. Then they changed, and were putting out a "natural" peanut butter with palm oil substituted for the peanut oil. That lasted for about 3 months before yet another change was made. This third supplier is back to all peanuts for ingredients, but is a poorer quality peanut butter.
Posted by: earache
Date: March 14, 2017 10:47AM
space-time
Depends

I prefer the Drip Master brand.
Date: March 14, 2017 11:31AM
Kran,

Not a surprise. TJs doesn't just sell their brand of goods.

Robert
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 14, 2017 11:34AM
Robert M
I'll plus one what people have said about store brands. Most are made by the same companies that produce name brand products. However, that doesn't make them identical. Far from. Cheerios come to mind. I've tried dozens of versions and only real Cheerios taste like Cheerios. Some clones are pretty close, but there is something about the real thing that sets them apart.

Exactly this. Nobody seems to be able to make knock-off Cheerios which are tolerable. Additionally, you can apparently mess up Corn flakes as I've had some generics which are awful and others which taste the same as the originals.

If any product works the same as the name brand then I get the generic. Sometimes the generic works better: Mac Mini… Intel NUC…
Date: March 14, 2017 12:13PM
Robert M
Kran,

Not a surprise. TJs doesn't just sell their brand of goods.

Robert

We used to be aware of the Aldi's/TJ relationship..

But she's finding all sorts of rebranded product in different stores all over town..just an interesting thing these days.

I see the same thing done incredible nerve in the Toaster Oven lines i see..takes a lot of balls to rebrand the exact same oven - cheap..for $49 dollarr..bottom end store..and then to see the exact same oven with a kitchen aid stamp on it for $119 at Bed Bath and Beyond
Date: March 14, 2017 12:34PM
Kraniac,

I'm not talking about rebranded products. I'm talking about brands that are sold at TJS, Whole Foods and a slew of other speciality shop. Not generic versions. the actual name brand product. Sometimes you'll see the name brand version then, after X amount of time, a TJs version of it. It's as if they did a test to see if the name brand would sell and then when it proves successful, have the name brand make a TJs generic version to sell in its place.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2017 12:36PM by Robert M.
Date: March 14, 2017 12:56PM
Robert M
Kraniac,

I'm not talking about rebranded products. I'm talking about brands that are sold at TJS, Whole Foods and a slew of other speciality shop. Not generic versions. the actual name brand product. Sometimes you'll see the name brand version then, after X amount of time, a TJs version of it. It's as if they did a test to see if the name brand would sell and then when it proves successful, have the name brand make a TJs generic version to sell in its place.

Robert
I gotcha Robert..i was posting more in the vein of the original post.. name brand stuff..often difficult to tell what that 'name brand' is and whether it's even a name brand..not for Doritos, or Charmin..other stuff.
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: March 14, 2017 01:06PM
Most of the time, I go for the store brands. It's been so long since I've eaten the "real thing" that I don't remember how it tasted, anyway. Some of the cereal is pretty bad, though.

One of the local stores has a cooler with Faygo cans at $.25/can. At the risk of being seen as a Closet Juggalo, I'm not paying $1.50 for a Coke, lol.
Date: March 14, 2017 01:08PM
....have tried RC Cola and it isn't bad but hard to find stores that carry it.......many private label brands use RC Cola.......local dollar store has Shasta but not sugar free Shasta.......

Posted by: Michael
Date: March 14, 2017 05:21PM
Ombligo
Many store brands are made by the brand names.

For example - a couple years ago Skippy Peanut Butter had to do a recall, also recalled was Great Value Peanut butter (Wal-Mart brand). Same peanut butter, different label, cheaper price because no marketing is involved.

There are also companies that do nothing but private labels - all the products are the same, just different labels. Cott is such company - they own and market brand names like RC Cola, 7-up, Dr. Pepper, and Snapple. Cott also produces store brand drinks for Wal-Mart, Publix, and others. Pretty much all that changes is the label.

I always thought that the various Grape Nuts private label versions must be made by the Grape Nuts factory since they can't sell very many of them. But, I've tried several and none of them are the same. So, I buy Grape Nuts when they go on a sale. For almost everything else, I'll buy a private label brand.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 14, 2017 05:50PM
Robert M
Kraniac,

Robert

The most obvious version of this I noticed was about 10-15 years ago when Costco carried Laura Scudders' Natural peanut butter for a couple of years and then Laura went away, replaced with Kirkland Natural peanut butter.

Problem was Laura's contained only peanuts and salt while Kirkland also contained palm oil to keep the PB mixed. We switched to TJ's natural peanut butter that day. Later on, Kirkland removed the palm oil and returned Laura to the shelf but too late for you Costco, we buy PB at TJ's now.
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: March 14, 2017 07:32PM
....have tried RC Cola and it isn't bad

I was visiting some friends near Abingdon, VA, went out early to go fishing. Thought I'd try that classic Southern breakfast of Moon Pie and RC, stopped at several convenience stores....nobody had either Moon Pies or RC. Shucks.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: March 14, 2017 08:02PM
Store brands wherever possible except for some paper products, e.g. 'bathroom tissue' & paper towels.

I no longer eat any snack foods, so I can't comment except to note Cheetos, given their color, are probably visible from space...

I found 'natural' peanut butter is like glue - gets everywhere & is hard to clean off.

But given that calories/serving for peanut butter & Nutella are essentially the same, I'd pick Nutella. smiling smiley
Date: March 15, 2017 07:16AM
.....saw a study that mentioned that using filler in different drugs does make a difference, even though the drug is identical......seem to be true....

.....used Costco generic Zyrtec and it makes me more drowsy than the brand name.....same goes for the generic Allegra.....the brand name seems to work better with allergies......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018