advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any recs on a copy/paste app that saves multiple clippings?
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 14, 2017 02:04PM
Searching aroudn the app store only seems to find apps that remember your copy history -- which I dont need

Im looking for something more along the lines of command + C + 1 = my email address, command + C + 2 = a line of text, etc

anyone using such a thing?

I used to have one long ago, but cant remember the name...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any recs on a copy/paste app that saves multiple clippings?
Posted by: clay
Date: March 14, 2017 02:13PM
If I'm understanding your request correctly, here's what I use to accomplish that: [www.trankynam.com] only $5

Also TextExpander is a popular one, but I haven't used it, and I think more expensive.
Posted by: bik
Date: March 14, 2017 02:16PM
I remember an older utility that did exactly what you describe.

This doesn't exactly do it, but it has a clipboard history and text/snippet expander:
[www.alfredapp.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: March 14, 2017 02:36PM
I use a Dragthing palette - you can drag text to a tile and later, when clicked, it will type the text stored in the tile (and also throw it onto the clipboard) - not what you asked for, but it's how I do what you are wanting to do.
Date: March 14, 2017 02:48PM
Hmm, I own dragthing, I could explore that.

Alfred app looks like everything else Im finding, more of a history than a multiple clipboard.

Like for example, if I want to make a post on the forum with: link to article URL, photo URL, amazon link, newegg link, and second article URL -- thats 10 seperate copy/paste actions.

But what I had would let you command + C + 1, command + C + 2 and -- then command + V + 1, command + V + 2, etc

----

Posted by: wurm
Date: March 14, 2017 03:08PM
I was trying to remember the one I use so I hunted through my apps and found it. It's called Spark. Unfortunately, the address shown in the About Me results in a 404 Not Found. Then I realized that when I search for Spark in google, all I get in the Mail app (which I also use).

So I don't know if it's still available. I could try sending you a copy of the app if you want; I'm sure it was free. I should caution you that every time I restart my Mac, I always get a window that Spark couldn't find something, but I just hit "Okay" and it doesn't seem to cause any problems. Everything is as it was. I use it for opening apps and for typing text.

-edit-

[jumpcut.sourceforge.net] may be another option, but it doesn't seem to be exactly what you're looking for either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2017 03:10PM by wurm.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: March 14, 2017 03:09PM
Not sure how full-featured it is, but there are some basic shortcuts available in System Preferences. I'm in Mavericks, so YMMV.

Go to:

System Preferences/Keyboard/Text

I use this for little things like typing my initials to generate my full email address, "streetadd" for my street address, etc. The suggestions pop up automatically system-wide, but they can also be declined like a spelling correction.
Posted by: gabester
Date: March 14, 2017 04:01PM
datbeme
Not sure how full-featured it is, but there are some basic shortcuts available in System Preferences. I'm in Mavericks, so YMMV.

Go to:

System Preferences/Keyboard/Text

I use this for little things like typing my initials to generate my full email address, "streetadd" for my street address, etc. The suggestions pop up automatically system-wide, but they can also be declined like a spelling correction.

Good suggestion; with that said there was something like this that I loved in classic Mac days, not sure it made a transition to OS X, and do not doubt that it was killed off in the recent Yosemite/El Cap/Sierra "upgrades." Can't for the life of me remember what it was called... possibly just "copy-paste" extension? I think was a freeware japanese developer's extension.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 14, 2017 04:03PM
[www.ettoresoftware.com]

or

[qsapp.com]

both have variations on what you are asking for.
the former is mnemonic based. I've used it extensively for a decade or more.
the later is a larger clipboard, but I don't think either do Cmd key combos.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

The Howlin Souls - [goo.gl]
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 14, 2017 04:08PM
Here's another (CopyClip):

Haven't used it myself.
Posted by: numbered
Date: March 14, 2017 04:10PM
wurm
[jumpcut.sourceforge.net] may be another option

another not-what-you-are-looking-for reply, but wurm points to an app that I use all the time. It retains the last 20 or so clipboard items...I have it start up on boot and it runs from the menu bar. (It is old but runs fine in 10.11)
Date: March 14, 2017 04:22PM
numbered
wurm
[jumpcut.sourceforge.net] may be another option

another not-what-you-are-looking-for reply, but wurm points to an app that I use all the time. It retains the last 20 or so clipboard items...I have it start up on boot and it runs from the menu bar. (It is old but runs fine in 10.11)

thanks, thats what copy clip does too (it was the first one I found) -- but there are no "favorites" just a history.

If copyclip would let you keep those top 10 items as favorites, It would be golden.

I knwo about atext and typeit4me, and those might be an alternatives -- Ive always assocated them with web dev work... but maybe what will work for me too.

thanks all, lots to noodle.

----

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 14, 2017 05:35PM
I use ClipboardHistory, which has a favorites section of items which are permanently retained, but those are *not* directly accessible via a keyboard combination. Or if they are, I'm too stupid to find out how to do so. It's still a very convenient app as I keep and use 50 clipboards. It becomes so much a part of minute-to minute use that when I'm using another machine without it, my workflow grinds to a slow trudge.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 14, 2017 06:45PM
just found the way Clipboard works in Quicksilver.
trigger QS, Caps Lock in my case. Toggle clipboard Cmd-L, then paste from the clipboard by pressing the slot number.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

The Howlin Souls - [goo.gl]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 15, 2017 07:02AM
....does it save toenail....clippings....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: what4
Date: March 15, 2017 08:25AM
You are describing how CopyPaste Pro works. I've used it for many years. $30 license.

You get control-C1 through control-C9 slots to copy into and paste from, plus a couple of floating menus, one of which maintains a running history of what you copied.

There are advanced features, such as storing blocks of saved text, but I just use the basics, which make some operations much easier.

[plumamazing.com]
Date: March 15, 2017 01:06PM
thanks what4, pretty sure thats it -- even the icon looks familiar

Can remember ever paying $30 for it, maybe it was part of one of those big software bundles they used to do...

----

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015