advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple TV: remote delay
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 17, 2017 10:42PM
My Apple TV Gen 4 worked fine for a while, now the remote has a significant delay. I swipe to go to another App or inside an App to go to a movie or another menu and it takes 5 seconds or so. it becomes very annoying as I swipe more and I go past the item I wanted.

I already restarted the Apple TV, it seemed to help for a few minutes but not really, the delay is back.

What else can I try? I don't have any Bluetooth devices active. I do have BT enabled on phones, but that is for the car, I don't use BT at home.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple TV: remote delay
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: March 17, 2017 11:22PM
Check the battery in the remote. When the voltage drops from use or as the battery ages, it does not provide enough power to the IR LED that communicates with the ATV. I think it takes a CR2016 button cell. Unscrew the battery cover on the back of the remote and see what it takes.

=TC
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: March 18, 2017 01:49AM
Feb 3, 2017 - Your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote has a rechargeable battery, not a replaceable battery. With its included Lightning to USB cable, plug your Siri Remote or Apple TV remote into a computer or USB power adapter to charge. Apple TV (4th generation) ships with the same remote everywhere.

Feb 10, 2017 - Charge your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote. When you need to charge your remote, an alert appears on your TV. At any time, you can check your remote's charge. Just go to Settings > Remotes and Devices > Remote and select your remote.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 01:51AM by Dennis R.
Date: March 18, 2017 03:35AM
30%, and now it works just fine. Now (4 AM) there is no delay.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 18, 2017 10:14AM
I'm surprised you didn't get an on-screen alert that your battery was running low, but IIRC that comes up at the "Remote has 20% battery power left" level.

I used mine for something like a year before I saw the reminder, and it gets heavy usage in the house.

I have an extended USB cable near the TV (for charging iPhone/iPad when watching) so from time to time I just plug the remote in overnight now.

FWIW, I got an APC Network Backup (aside: only beeps ONCE when the power goes out) on a Gold Box sale for my cable modem/router (which is in the entertainment center) and it has a couple of USB ports on it. (A lot of TVs also have USB ports which charge.)

Added: I also got one of these Remote Covers; made handling that thing a little easier. I'm still no fan of the touch-based remote, though I'm very happy they went from line-of-sight to bluetooth. YMMV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 11:01AM by Zoidberg.
Date: March 18, 2017 11:09AM
'm surprised you didn't get an on-screen alert that your battery was running low, but IIRC that comes up at the "Remote has 20% battery power left" level.

because it had 30% when I decided to check, and it happened to work just fine of course. Last night I don't think it was the remote, I think the Apple TV was getting "beach-balls"; you know like in OS X when system is slow and you get beach-balls, probably something similar was happening and causing delays, but of course there was no beach ball on the screen.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 18, 2017 11:17AM
space-time
because it had 30% when I decided to check, and it happened to work just fine of course. Last night I don't think it was the remote, I think the Apple TV was getting "beach-balls"; you know like in OS X when system is slow and you get beach-balls, probably something similar was happening and causing delays, but of course there was no beach ball on the screen.

I'm assuming you've kept the software updated and restarted it.

Sometimes I find a force-restart (hold down the MENU and TV ICON buttons for a bit until the light on front of the AppleTV starts flashing) fixes occasional oddness.

I'd also like to see some live updating worked into the system; for instance, often the Trailers app won't update until I do a full restart of the AppleTV. Ditto for other-party apps like YouTube.

And Hulu's app is pretty buggy; been watching complaints about it on other forums. Every once in a while when watching Hulu, we'll start getting an onscreen "Remote Online" (I think) pop-up. The Hulu app needs to be reset to make this go away.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 24, 2017 11:57AM
....press the button more slowly......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 279
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015