Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $145.63 ( -0.24 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Forum photographers, 'product shots' equipment suggestions
Posted by: Randalls
Date: March 18, 2017 05:14PM
A friend got drafted to take some shots of computer equipment for an group he is part of. These will be for web use. He is an avid amateur photographer but has no experience with 'product' shots. They were not impressed with point and shoot quality so have OK'd the following rental.

1x Camera - Canon 5d Mkiii

1x Lens – Canon 90mm 2.8 ts-e

2x Litepanels Astra 1x1 bi-color

1x1-bi-color-no-batt

2x Softbox for Astra 1x1

1x tripod base

1x tripod manfrotto-804rc2- qr-pan-tilt-head

I realize Rome wasn't built in a day and am setting myself up here but any suggestions about this equipment (other than hiring a pro, which they will not apparently do).
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Forum photographers, 'product shots' equipment suggestions
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 18, 2017 05:36PM
The secret to product photography is to keep the lighting diffused and even. The secret to doing that is to make a light box..

[www.instructables.com]

If you need larger, then make it a tent.
Get a king size set of white sheets, double them so they are two layers and use PVC for the legs. It will give soft shadows and even lighting.

"The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing" -- Socrates
“I’m, like, a really smart person.” -- Donald Trump
Date: March 18, 2017 05:43PM
Thanks for that.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 18, 2017 05:56PM
Give us an idea of what this stuff is and even more importantly, how big this stuff is?

Shiny or Matte surfaces?
Dark or Light colored Surfaces?
Metal?

Small accessories? full on Computer cases?..The size of the object is an immediate determiner as to how you go about lighting it.

Have you guys talked about what these objects will be sitting on..?

Are they photographed from above or from the front?

You have to fill in some of the blanks because the lighting schemes will be different depending on camera position and all that other stuff up there..has your friend ever lit an object with studio lighting?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 05:58PM by Kraniac.
Date: March 18, 2017 06:38PM
Thanks for asking, It is desktop computers. Dell/hp. Dark Plastic/metal. From the front/top/back.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 18, 2017 06:52PM
Sorry, but hire a pro.

Its all about the lighting, and how to set it up correctly.

Theres really no reason for a 5DIII for some 'web' product shots. Any basic DSLR would be fine. Hell, with the correct lighting, an iPhone would work great.

maybe watch a few videos over at lyndia or creative live.

----

[www.fakesteve.net]
Posted by: hal
Date: March 18, 2017 06:55PM
I do pretty well with just crap I find around the house.

I have 4 - 60w eq bulbs hanging over the spot and one free in my hand to place as I choose. Set timer to 10 seconds. White cardboard on the left and right. The base is the wall of an old white appliance (a dryer I think) with a shiny white finish, the rear is an old gray flannel sheet. I place something white just in front of the mac mini for reflection. These shots were taken in a corner of my messy kitchen - you'd never know.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 18, 2017 07:06PM
Back when I was as using and 8x10 on major national accounts the lightbix-the overhead kind, not the looking at transparencies kind-was king.

Set up a light box office r tent, and live happily ever after. Much harder to make mistakes.
Date: March 18, 2017 07:43PM
Thanks for the info and suggestions. Much appreciated.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 18, 2017 09:27PM
anonymouse1
Back when I was as using and 8x10 on major national accounts the lightbix-the overhead kind, not the looking at transparencies kind-was king.

8x10? I know you're talking commercial work but i'm interested to see it. anything online? (also, i don't expect your 8x10 stuff to be online)

Posted by: vision63
Date: March 19, 2017 12:04AM
hal
I do pretty well with just crap I find around the house.

I have 4 - 60w eq bulbs hanging over the spot and one free in my hand to place as I choose. Set timer to 10 seconds. White cardboard on the left and right. The base is the wall of an old white appliance (a dryer I think) with a shiny white finish, the rear is an old gray flannel sheet. I place something white just in front of the mac mini for reflection. These shots were taken in a corner of my messy kitchen - you'd never know.

That's cuz you can shoot raw and fix white balance etc. Options galore. Nice pix
Date: March 19, 2017 02:59AM
Yes, very nice pix. Did you process in Lightroom?
Posted by: DP
Date: March 19, 2017 07:00AM
8x10? I know you're talking commercial work

That and 4x5 was all I shot with back in the day...

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 19, 2017 08:01AM
i always enjoyed 4x5 studio work. Slow pace, precision, everything just right, shoot a polaroid or two to make sure, then two sheets of film, holding one in reserve in case of a processing error. hours of work, then snap and your done (though I learned quickly to never break down the set until the you have the image in hand and approved.

"The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing" -- Socrates
“I’m, like, a really smart person.” -- Donald Trump
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 19, 2017 11:02AM
C'mon guys..Help the OP out..War stories are great but jeez..stay on topic.

To the OP..

Hang a Softbox over your set (do have a boom for your stand?)..move it around..look at what's happening to the light..

..try to use one light source and fill the shadows with white cards > You reflect the light from the soft box back into the shadow areas so they don't get blocked in shadow...move the cards..change their angle until you see light being reflected into the dark areas..when you find a good spot/angle..Prop the card up with objects around the house..cans, blocks of wood, etc....Foam core works well but any neutral white, rigid board will work.

If you have very dark plastic surfaces..try taking a piece of foam core with a silver, highly reflective surface on it..and try to create some highlights in the plastic that reflect back towards camera a bit..can be very visually effective with dark plastic or even shiny surfaces..shiny surfaces tend to just look gray without a highlight in them

Keep the white cards/fill cards just out of the crop of your picture.

repeat..look at what's happening..fire off a couple of frames..get em on a monitor and make adjustments on set until you are pleased..

Yes, the Canon 5d mmiii is overkill nice to have a Tilt Shift lens but not critical for this, IMO...Use what you got but i'd suggest adding a boom to your light stand equipment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 11:05AM by Kraniac.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 19, 2017 12:50PM
Randalls
Yes, very nice pix. Did you process in Lightroom?

No, I work everything out in photoshop. JPEG seems good enough for me. The mini doesn't need much work, but the laptop needs LOTS. Taking a picture of a video screen is HARD. Lack of enough light has always been the difficulty. Having one hand held light to manually balance things out helps a lot!
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 19, 2017 01:34PM
Sorry, that was30+ years ago....I don't have any of it around

mattkime
anonymouse1

8x10? I know you're talking commercial work but i'm interested to see it. anything online? (also, i don't expect your 8x10 stuff to be online)
Date: March 19, 2017 06:40PM
Very useful info. Thanks everyone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 311
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015