Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $140.64 ( -0.28 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sublime scenery today.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 18, 2017 10:20PM
I rode a 62 mile, 4000' elevation gain ride today, up and over Mount Tamalpais (north of San Francisco Bay), starting in San Rafael (near Bo's house). Although overcast, the scenery on the Pacific side was sublime. Here are a couple of shots I took with my phone. Next time I'll take a decent camera but I hope you guys get the idea. Second shot was taken from a moving bike at about 20 mph...not bad considering.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sublime scenery today.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 18, 2017 10:27PM
Nice shots! Such a pretty place - I think I've taken that same shot (first one)
Posted by: DP
Date: March 19, 2017 06:44AM
Sweet! I have some pix I shot on Mt. Tam from back in the 80s and 90s when I was working out there a lot. Sublime is an apt description...

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 19, 2017 08:25AM
Did you have to ride the opposite lane on return...yikes.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: March 19, 2017 08:45AM
That almost makes me want to cry, I miss Northern California so much (I used to live in Healdsburg). Sigh...

Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer

Not everything that counts can be counted; and not everything that can be counted counts.
- Albert Einstein
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 19, 2017 09:43AM
Very nice! thumbs up

Is all the green due to the extra rain this year? I'm guessing as we get into the Summer months, that green goes away? I know very little about the west coast climate.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: March 19, 2017 09:47AM
Great shots!
Date: March 19, 2017 10:29AM
mrbigstuff
Did you have to ride the opposite lane on return...yikes.

Not this time, but our normal route up Mt Tam is to ride up this road on the drop-off side. The reason we went this way yesterday was that part of the normal route up was closed due to landslides and felled trees.

Rick-o
Very nice! thumbs up

Is all the green due to the extra rain this year? I'm guessing as we get into the Summer months, that green goes away? I know very little about the west coast climate.

Yep. It's quite an unusual look for this area. In two months (or less) all of that grass will be brown, which also looks nice, but not as lush as now..

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: March 19, 2017 10:30AM
Any of you cyclists noticed that my buddy is riding a 1966 Schwinn Paramount. I'm also riding vintage, an '81 Ron Cooper.

Posted by: Bo
Date: March 19, 2017 11:41AM
Super nice! What a day for a ride. Thought about one myself but wound up building a new gate that was long overdue.

Those roads on skinny tires and 100+ psi scare the crap out of me! Give me fat tires, 22psi and dirt any day though winking smiley

Glad you got out and enjoyed it
Date: March 19, 2017 12:17PM
Bo
Those roads on skinny tires and 100+ psi scare the crap out of me! Give me fat tires, 22psi and dirt any day though winking smiley

Nah, I don't ride skinny tires though I'm not going to go as radical as you (except on my mtn bike). I'm riding 32 mm tires at 60/70 F/R. Lots of grip and comfort for asphalt and hard pack dirt, a perfect compromise for riding long distances, which would be torture with ultra wide tires and 22psi pressure.

I think the high pressure ultra skinny fad for road bikers is coming to an end since it's been proven that it does not make you ride any faster except on an ultra smooth velodrome, and severely reduces cornering grip. I never bought into that fad but there are still a lot of diehards out there who like to pump up their tires to explosive pressures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 12:21PM by davester.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 19, 2017 02:16PM
These images are really nice. The overcast helped to keep great shadow detail in those trees. All that green. In 2 months that'll all be tawny.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: March 20, 2017 01:45AM
I didn't recognize it as Northern California! With all the green. I'm with YoYoDyne, miss it!!

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 20, 2017 02:05AM
davester
Any of you cyclists noticed that my buddy is riding a 1966 Schwinn Paramount. I'm also riding vintage, an '81 Ron Cooper.

Id say yes, but you cant see enough detail in the photo or enough of the frame to tell what it is.

Still super pissed that I had my 87' Specialized Sirrus stolen from my storage warehouse a week after I moved in. Sweet ride, totally irreplaceable.

----

[www.fakesteve.net]
Date: March 20, 2017 06:01PM
jdc
davester

Id say yes, but you cant see enough detail in the photo or enough of the frame to tell what it is.

True, but for the bike nut it's pretty easy to tell it's something quite different from all the plastic bikes on the road. Sorry to hear about your Sirrus.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 305
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015