advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $140.64 ( -0.28 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Where do you guys (and gals) shop for clothes?
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 19, 2017 08:32AM
The discussion below with JCP closing stores is interesting. I see some of you used to shop there but not anymore.

Where do you go to buy good clothes these days?

I have to admit that I don't do much shopping for me; I delegate this to my better half, when she goes out shopping at outlets, I usually tell her a need something and she picks it up for me.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Where do you guys (and gals) shop for clothes?
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: March 19, 2017 08:44AM
Costco can have some very good deals on clothes, Land's End (though the prices aren't so great), REI (though the prices are even less great than Land's End).

Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer

Not everything that counts can be counted; and not everything that can be counted counts.
- Albert Einstein
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 19, 2017 08:50AM
Macy's, Costco for the occasional bad Dockers-type pair of pants, and Marshall's.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 19, 2017 09:15AM
I don't, except when absolutely necessary. Then Sears, for work clothes and jeans.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 19, 2017 09:26AM
uniqlo, h&m, and have a few cycling oriented placed that sell casual clothing. usually fits me better since i'm thin by american standards.

Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: March 19, 2017 09:30AM
I still like some stuff from JCP—especially their Arizona brand, because it fits slim builds. If I need anything else, it typically comes from Target. "Good clothes" is pretty subjective. I've become much more store/brand agnostic; there seems to be little to differentiate quality among them these days, unless you are paying through the nose.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 09:33AM by Marc Anthony.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 19, 2017 09:32AM
Bealls or Marshalls, the only clothing stores in my county (seriously). Mostly I wait to buy when I visit my mom. Then I go to the Outlet mall in Ellenton. I'm particularly partial to Haggar slacks, and the outlet has good prices.

"The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing" -- Socrates
“I’m, like, a really smart person.” -- Donald Trump
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 19, 2017 09:37AM
Ebay!

If you know the brand you like, eBay is fantastic. Of course, it helps if you don't mind buying and wearing used clothes.

I have a standard set of questions I ask (signs of wear, etc.). It's not unusual that get complements on my shirts. I picked up a really nice, new, silk and took gray blazer from Jos A. Banks for $40, including shipping. Discounted onsale price online at their website was about $120 (from their Imperial line, IIRC).
Posted by: billb
Date: March 19, 2017 09:43AM
Vanity Fair Outlet, LLBean, Mens Warehouse, jcpenney

I wear mostly dress pants, or jeans if working in the yard.
In fact, when I went to Phoenix just recently I had to go buy some dockers for casual pants because I didn't have any. Felt weird getting on a plane with no suits and proper dress clothes , but I did it.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 19, 2017 09:48AM
Pretty much online for me. Amazon for my first look, then Casual Male, and a few others. Penney's USED to get a lot more of my online biz, but lately it's been mostly for underwear.

Did I mention that I HATE to shop anymore? I don't know why, but it just seems to be a major chore. That goes for anything from clothing to appliances. Major or minor purchases. What's wrong with me? (DON'T ANSWER THAT!!)

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: March 19, 2017 10:15AM
TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and eBay if I'm looking for something in particular.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 19, 2017 10:32AM
These days most of my clothes come from LL Bean, Target and J C Penney. LL Bean is where I purchase most shirts, especially flannel, pajamas, and outerwear. Target is where I get jeans and some shirts. Penney for underwear, socks and the occasional other item. Used to buy more clothing there, but so many lines of apparel were cheapened that it was not worth it any more.
Posted by: kap
Date: March 19, 2017 11:01AM
GAP for khaki, dress shirts, sweaters and hoodies; Old Navy for t-shirt, polo shirts and flannels.

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 11:04AM by kap.
Posted by: Bo
Date: March 19, 2017 11:43AM
Similar to Matt:

Uniqlo and H&M for most casual clothing
Sierra Trading for athletic/bike clothing
Amazon and Old Navy to augment the above
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 19, 2017 11:45AM
.......haven't shopped in Gap or Old Navy for long time.....Old Navy stuff is low quality (cheap but don't last long).......Target, TJ Maxx, Marshall's......for ironic skinny jeans go to......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 19, 2017 12:30PM
Dillard's.
Posted by: August West
Date: March 19, 2017 12:30PM
I'll get a few things from Costco, I think their men's no-iron shirts, and pima cotton tees and polos are great values. Italian wool pants are okay, too.

Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: March 19, 2017 12:36PM
The daughter of a man I used to work for sends me nice clothes every Xmas, a couple shirts, a jacket, etc. If I needed something specific, I'd order from amazon. My work clothes come from SA, GW, etc., I'm not picky, and would rather not buy new clothes that are going to get stains, paint, and abused, lol.
Date: March 19, 2017 12:50PM
NewtonMP2100
.......haven't shopped in Gap or Old Navy for long time.....Old Navy stuff is low quality (cheap but don't last long).......Target, TJ Maxx, Marshall's......for ironic skinny jeans go to......

Agree! Old Navy offers mostly cheap, hence, low quality cltothing items. However, one might find some good ones once in a while. Its polos are decent. As for GAP, the quality used to be much better. Now it's 70 or 60 at times. I have been a customer since 2003-4.

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 12:51PM by kap.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 19, 2017 01:18PM
Space,

Depends on the type of clothes. If I want very nice clothes, I wait and buy it on sale at Brooks Brothers. I can't afford their stuff at regular price but their wrinkle-free dress shirts are fantastic and well worth the cost when purchased on sale.

Jeans and general day to day work wear comes from Duluth Trading. Fair pricing and generally very good quality. I have to be choosy, though, because most of the clothing is designed for burly men and doesn't always fit well. Despite that, there are a few items that are awesome. Ballroom jeans and shirts with the F.O.M. feature are great.

Just for giggles, I may purchase a pair or two of Prison Blues jeans because they're supposed to be very good, made in the USA and gives inmates a means to improve themselves (among other positive benefits).

If I want throw-away, cheap jeans, I get Wrangler from Target. They don't hold up well at all, though. Same goes for most socks. The current exceptions are nice socks I got from Dickies and Duluth Trading. We'll see which hold up better. I'm open to alternatives.

Undies from Duluth, though there is a particular style of Hanes that are very good. My wife got them for me and I'm not sure of the store. Everyday work t-shirts, oxford, polo-style shirts, mock turtle-necks and such, it depends. Last time round, I got them from the Bass, The Gap and Lands End but that was years ago.

With the exception of socks and jeans, which I used to burn through pretty quickly, I haven't needs to buy clothes in a very long time. Everything I like to wear fits well, looks good and is in great shape. If I have to shop for clothes, I'll have to check out some local shops and online shops and hope for the best.

Robert
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 19, 2017 01:37PM
Gap really has fallen way down, nothing there that is particularly unique or well-made. I have a pair of pants bought about 15 years ago (a little snug now, ahem) that are so well made I am certain that I can pass them down to the next generation or two.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 19, 2017 01:50PM
Fishing shirts at Bass Pro / Cabelas; cargo pants at Duluth Trading.
Date: March 19, 2017 02:05PM
mrbigstuff
Gap really has fallen way down, nothing there that is particularly unique or well-made. I have a pair of pants bought about 15 years ago (a little snug now, ahem) that are so well made I am certain that I can pass them down to the next generation or two.

Yup, GAP khaki and white t-shirt used to be American made quality and style. Now not so much. Last I read the company is in financial trouble. They are closing stores. Eddie Bauer used to be my choice of clothing store as well.

SoCal for now.
Date: March 19, 2017 02:32PM
....after Eddie Bauer was bought out.....quality went down too.....

Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 19, 2017 03:39PM
Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack, Nautica, Tommy Bahama, and Polo outlet stores. Costco, Sears, Target. Eddie Bauer online for specialty cotton pants when on super-sale, since they;re not available in-store (still wish they had deeper pockets). Sierra Trading Post used to be a great go-to, but since they were bought out by the TJ Maxx folks, it hasn't been the same. And wherever I can get the best deal on Gold Toe socks, since they closed up their outlet stores that I used to be able to get to.
==
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 19, 2017 05:18PM
DuluthTrading and REI for the most part. Although I was buying white undershirts from JCPenney.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: BernDog
Date: March 19, 2017 05:36PM
Goodwill, et al.
Posted by: digby
Date: March 19, 2017 05:52PM
Yeah, I buy almost everything at thrift stores. And if you keep your eyes open, you can get good quality stuff (WHO are these people recycling brand new Ralph Lauren shirts?).

But I broke down and bought my first retail price shirt, because I happened upon a uniqlo. Great prices, beautiful linen and wool stuff for cheap, and buy 2 get 1 free on t-shirts (check online store, had more selection than the one I was in).
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: March 19, 2017 06:11PM
Marks and Spencer online.

A 34 waist 29 length is tough to find in the US, at least in a fit where the crotch does not hang so low that I look like I'm carrying a load of poop in my underwear (my wife's description of me in my Haggars). MarksandSpencer.com offers a good selection at a great price. If you spend over $50, shipping to the US is free.

Problem: Different styles fit differently. Having to move up to a 36 waist temporarily (hopefully), I find I can't comfortably zip up the dress pants, but the jeans fall down without warning (causing my wife immense amusement).

I've not tried to return a garment, but it's not going to be as easy as exchanging at the nearest mall.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 19, 2017 07:51PM
NewtonMP2100
....after Eddie Bauer was bought out.....quality went down too.....

No kidding. I shopped there as a kid in the 70's. They started out in Seattle as an Alaskan outfitter's store a LONG time ago. Used to sell OUTDOOR stuff, instead of urban walking "gear"

But seriously, I do most of my "shopping" at the airport's baggage claims.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 07:52PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Don C
Date: March 19, 2017 08:03PM
Dillards sales for the rare occasion when I need dress clothes, though once I retired the dress section of my closet is sorely neglected.

Working around the house and yard clothes have been from Goodwill lately. I tend to wear a hole in the knees and I hate spending full retail for pants at such risk.
Posted by: digby
Date: March 19, 2017 08:07PM
Don, that's the best commercial for retirement I've ever heard.

Keep wearing out those knees!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 19, 2017 08:12PM
Various discount stores nearby.
Date: March 19, 2017 08:27PM
.....wish Good Will but the ones here at not good [ no Ralph Lauren shirts ].....

Posted by: billb
Date: March 19, 2017 09:04PM
Don C
Dillards sales for the rare occasion when I need dress clothes, though once I retired the dress section of my closet is sorely neglected.

Working around the house and yard clothes have been from Goodwill lately. I tend to wear a hole in the knees and I hate spending full retail for pants at such risk.

safety knee pads might be a good idea

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: ScottG
Date: March 19, 2017 09:17PM
I use Sierra Trading Post for a lot of my work clothes as well as stuff for when I am being more active. They do sell really decent non-formal shirts and pants which work well for the sort of work that I do- I don't have to be business casual, but want to give the appearance that I might know what I am doing. Other than that, some EBay (my latest work boots were Rocky Outdoor Gear GoreTex boots from Ebay, which were about a quarter of retail price) but mostly Marshalls, Old Navy and gifts from family who think I need new clothes. This makes it sound like I spend a lot of time clothes shopping- but usually, I manage one lot of work clothes and one set of footwear a year or so.....

cheers

scott
Posted by: richorlin
Date: March 20, 2017 06:33AM
S. Pupp
A 34 waist 29 length is tough to find

Try finding 40w29L. That's even harder.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: March 20, 2017 01:06PM
American Eagle for my casual clothes, socks, briefs...

Men's Wearhouse for my sharp clothes since I get 40% off there...

Variety of other places for shoes and accessories...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 256
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015