advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Favorite hiccups cure?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 19, 2017 12:31PM
I have the most luck with dissolving a teaspoon of sugar in my mouth.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Favorite hiccups cure?
Posted by: hal
Date: March 19, 2017 12:45PM
the only proven cure is time
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 19, 2017 01:15PM
sex

I never seen someone having hiccups during sex
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 19, 2017 01:20PM
Hal,

Nope. That doesn't always work. A teaspoon of sweetener never fails. Since I'm diabetic, sugar is out. Xylitol, Truvia and similar sweeteners work just as well. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: March 19, 2017 01:30PM
Taking lots of rapid sips of water. It's not the water so much as swallowing at the same time a hiccup happens. If I can do that the hiccups stop.

Paul

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 19, 2017 01:37PM
Swallow water while having doing both ears tightly shut. Big swallows! Get someone else to help.
Posted by: LyleH
Date: March 19, 2017 01:42PM
Just ask someone who has the hiccups - "What color are they???" LyleH
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 19, 2017 01:49PM
Breath (inhale and exhale) through a straw. Hiccups will stop quickly. old fogey smiley
Posted by: billb
Date: March 19, 2017 01:53PM

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 19, 2017 02:42PM
space-time
sex

Is this something you have a lot of experience observing?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: March 19, 2017 02:59PM
You must be sitting or lying down for safety using this method. Inhale deeply then exhale deeply. Must be deeply: fill your lungs biggly, then exhale fully, pushing out the last of the air. Do this AS RAPIDLY AS YOU CAN, 10 times. On the 11th inhale, hold your breathe. Hold it as long as you can. Your eyesight might fade temporarily, you might feel faint, no matter. This works for everyone in my family, every. single. time.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 19, 2017 03:00PM
....hookers & booze.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 19, 2017 03:15PM
Speedy
space-time
sex

Is this something you have a lot of experience observing?

Hey, don't judge.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: March 19, 2017 03:16PM
Shallow breathing and sipping water
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 19, 2017 03:17PM
My cure- take a good swallow of water. And stop right there. Hold breath for a few seconds. Repeat once or twice more.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 19, 2017 03:41PM
Reading threads about hiccup cures...
==
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: March 19, 2017 04:03PM
A friend recently cured himself of the hiccups by having his SO punch him in the belly.

There's actual science to this. A hiccup is associated with a reflex triggered by the stimulation of a single nerve or a pair of nerves. Send a stronger signal over the nerves and you interrupt the reflex-arc.

At the time, we discussed a safer-alternative: A squirt of ice water into the ear canal. (Can make someone dizzy for a few seconds afterwards.)

He preferred the punch.

Posted by: tuqqer
Date: March 19, 2017 05:07PM
I do have the cure, and I challenge anyone to prove it ineffective. I've won bar bets, party bets, had friends swear it wouldn't work, and I do it on them and it stops their hiccups. Learned it about 12 years ago, and so far, 100% success (no exaggeration). Here's how it works.

It's based on the idea of the diaphragm (the thoracic diaphragm to be exact) is in spasm. Since it's located directly under the lungs (which can be palpated directly under the front ribcage arch, the key is to stretch it.

The best way I've found to stretch the diaphragm is to take a large inhale of air, swallow a few additional mouthfuls of air just to create more pressure, and then arch yourself across anything you can. A physioball works best, but alternatives are a stack of pillows, the soft edge of a couch or sofa arm, a pile of clothes, whatever you can find in the present environment. If done right, you will definitely feel a distinct feeling that is the diaphragm being stretched.

If you have a friend handy, have them place a palm of their hand (or both palms) anywhere on that ribcage arch and gently push inward and down, towards the pelvis. Go easy, since you'll be approaching that same sensation that occurs when you get the air knocked out of you. But if done gently, it's actually quite relaxing for the person.

Usually, if the person can hold his breath for 15-20 seconds, one time is enough. but there's no harm in doing it 3-5 times. Again, done correctly it's actually a good feeling and a great stretch.

Stops every hiccup in 12 years.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 16G RAMSierra 10.12.6 Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: blooz
Date: March 19, 2017 05:19PM
I put about a half teaspoon of Angostura bitters in a small amount of water and drink it. Bitters are nasty at that strength but it works for me.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 05:19PM by blooz.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: March 19, 2017 05:33PM
Drinking water from the far side of a glass. You have to bend forward and your chin goes into the cup like your nose usually would. Seems to tackle numerous other remedies at once: drinking water, holding your breath, resetting signals to your diaphragm, and having to concentrate to coordinate it all.
Date: March 19, 2017 06:43PM
I urge everyone to try the sugar cure. It's cheap, easy, pleasant, and for diabetics, only 4.2 carbs per teaspoon. It has worked 100% of the time for me for at least 20 years and I've see it work every time for four relatives.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 19, 2017 06:46PM
NewtonMP2100
....hookers & booze.....???

.....and even if this doesn't cure hiccups, your day will be a lot brighter...... wink smiley
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 19, 2017 10:12PM
BernDog
Drinking water from the far side of a glass. You have to bend forward and your chin goes into the cup like your nose usually would. Seems to tackle numerous other remedies at once: drinking water, holding your breath, resetting signals to your diaphragm, and having to concentrate to coordinate it all.

thats the one I have alwys heard of -- but honestly, cant remember the last time I had hiccups. 5 years? more?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 19, 2017 10:23PM
Dennis,

Absolutely. I've used the sugar (or, these days, sweetener) cure for nearly 40 years. It's never failed. Ever. And, it seems a heckuva lot easier and tastier than the other methods detailed in the thread, except, of course, hookers and booze. smiling smiley

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 10:24PM by Robert M.
Date: March 19, 2017 10:32PM
Robert M
Dennis,

Absolutely. I've used the sugar (or, these days, sweetener) cure for nearly 40 years. It's never failed. Ever. And, it seems a heckuva lot easier and tastier than the other methods detailed in the thread, except, of course, hookers and booze. smiling smiley

Robert

I misread your first post where other sweeteners work. I'll have to try that.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 19, 2017 10:58PM
neophyte
You must be sitting or lying down for safety using this method. Inhale deeply then exhale deeply. Must be deeply: fill your lungs biggly, then exhale fully, pushing out the last of the air. Do this AS RAPIDLY AS YOU CAN, 10 times. On the 11th inhale, hold your breathe. Hold it as long as you can. Your eyesight might fade temporarily, you might feel faint, no matter. This works for everyone in my family, every. single. time.

Will also work for maximizing dive times when snorkeling.

Assuming you don't pass out while underwater.

It is what it is.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 19, 2017 11:02PM
In my opinion, they all work/don't work. Over the years I've tried: holding my breath and counting to ten; drinking a glass of water without stopping; drinking a glass of water in tiny sips; drinking a glass of water from the far side of the glass; drinking a glass of water that someone held while I held my arms in the air; a teaspoon of dry sugar; a teaspoon of sugar with angostura bitters on it; and more that don't come to mind right now. All of them have worked, and all of them have failed, at one point or another. I actually think the trick is having a person hovering over you while you do it, insisting it will work, and your body cooperates so that they leave you alone. :O

Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: March 20, 2017 02:17AM
Surely I'm not the only person who can make them go away. I never have more than two or three unless I'm distracted and choose not stop them. I take a slow deep breath, not 100% of my capacity but perhaps 85%, stopping after I feel a sort of metallic tingle. I hold my breath as the feeling crests, then exhale slowly to maintain the tingle, and get my diaphragm back under control. Or, if they're stubborn, I do a 40% exhale a bit sooner and repeat.
Date: March 20, 2017 06:58AM
....will usually get them when I eat too fast.....just drinking liquid works for moi....

Posted by: rz
Date: March 20, 2017 02:13PM
Teaspoon of peanut butter has always worked for me
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 20, 2017 03:53PM
Never needed a cure. My hiccups are always brief.

I'm like this, hic-hic-hic... CURED!! smiley-excited001

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Date: March 20, 2017 06:11PM
....3-ways.......Devil's 3-way......

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 20, 2017 08:49PM
This always works for me, take a big mouth full of water, as much as you can hold, hold your breath for about 30 seconds and swallow the water without breathing in or out.

Grateful11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015