advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $143.65 ( -0.14 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"Packing cubes" -- useful, or a waste of time and money?
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: March 19, 2017 05:30PM
I don't usually have problems neatly packing a suitcase, but I'm open to improvements.

And, if the TSA gorillas wish to open and inspect, they might make it a tidier process if they don't rip them open.

They're not an expensive bet either.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Packing cubes" -- useful, or a waste of time and money?
Posted by: 3d
Date: March 19, 2017 05:41PM
I prefer 2-2.5 gallon ziploc/hefty slider bags. They work just as well.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 19, 2017 05:50PM
convenient

I use them for camera gear too.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 19, 2017 06:06PM
How much do those weigh? They limit the hand luggage on some international flights to 8 kg and checked in luggage to 22 kg. I was at the limit on some recent flights.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: March 19, 2017 06:21PM
I too am a big fan of the 2.5 gal zip lock bags for clothes and shoes. More compact, easier to squish the excess air out, and can be tossed in the trash if you don't want to re-use the ones that held your dirties.

However, I use more robust packing strategies for my camera gear.
Posted by: max
Date: March 19, 2017 06:37PM
space-time
How much do those weigh? They limit the hand luggage on some international flights to 8 kg and checked in luggage to 22 kg. I was at the limit on some recent flights.

When was the last time you had your hand luggage weighted?.....

Ziploc is good....
Posted by: Drew
Date: March 19, 2017 06:44PM
Low cost airlines in Japan have a scale for weighing carryon luggage. Overweight and/or oversize means that you pay on the spot and it goes underneath.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 19, 2017 07:03PM
ZipLok bags and 3x5 cards.....

On my last flights, I had a LOT of electronic accessories/dongles/etc. I sorted/organized them and then put the various groups in labeled ZipLok bags. Made TSA's job MUCH easier. Made my life easier getting them all repacked into my carry on. old fogey smiley
Date: March 19, 2017 07:47PM
max

November. When I left US, they didn't care about hand luggage. When I returned, Lufthansa weighted my hand luggage. 8 Kg was the limit. I had 11. I had to scramble in airport to move 3 Kg to checked in luggage, which was below the weight limit but volume was full.
Posted by: pipiens
Date: March 19, 2017 08:13PM
I often carry a lot of camera gear using airlines that do weigh carry-on. I can get an amazing amount of weight into cloths with hidden pockets. I also sometimes take along a portable scale.
[www.scottevest.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 19, 2017 08:18PM
testcase
Made TSA's job MUCH easier.

smiley-laughing001smiley-laughing001

----

[www.fakesteve.net]
Posted by: billb
Date: March 19, 2017 09:09PM
testcase
ZipLok bags and 3x5 cards.....

On my last flights, I had a LOT of electronic accessories/dongles/etc. I sorted/organized them and then put the various groups in labeled ZipLok bags. Made TSA's job MUCH easier. Made my life easier getting them all repacked into my carry on. old fogey smiley

Ain't that the truth.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 19, 2017 10:28PM
....ladies are very interested in what guys are packin'.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 10:29PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 19, 2017 10:34PM
I use the ultralight ones that weigh almost nothing. Lately we've been doing our international vacations with a single carryon-size non-roller bag each. Packing cubes make it much easier to get all the stuff in the bag and keep it organized during the remainder of the vacation. Dirty stuff goes in a separate laundry bag.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: March 20, 2017 01:09AM
They're absolutely indispensable for backpacks, especially backpacks that only open at the top. But even in a wheeled rollaboard, they keep stuff organized logically and from shifting into a wrinkled clump (I'm in the middle of three weeks rolling around Germany). Plastic bags just don't allow the same kind of control over the corners, and tempt you to flatten everything in them—not good for shirt collars, for instance. Nothing But Savings often has a set of two for under $10, though my favorite is one I bought on the Rick Steves website.
Posted by: max
Date: March 20, 2017 01:51AM
space-time
max

November. When I left US, they didn't care about hand luggage. When I returned, Lufthansa weighted my hand luggage. 8 Kg was the limit. I had 11. I had to scramble in airport to move 3 Kg to checked in luggage, which was below the weight limit but volume was full.
Thanks, I knew about Asia, but Lufthansa doing it is a news for me. My backpack is closer 45 lbs with all the crap...
Posted by: STL
Date: March 20, 2017 08:14AM
Except for long pants, I use the cubes for everything that goes into my suitcase - even my electronics.
Cubes bring me organization and easy unpacking and repacking.
They weigh virtually zero.
I use the ones with mesh on one side so the cube can be squashed to remove air and take up less room.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 08:15AM by STL.
Posted by: decay
Date: March 20, 2017 09:11AM
misnamed, though.

i guess packing rectangular solids doesn't market as easily.

---
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 20, 2017 09:49AM
Huge fan of packing cubes here. Eagle Creek makes great durable ones, and lightweight versions too....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: datbeme
Date: March 20, 2017 10:15AM
I'm not an evangelist, but I HATE packing, and I hate it a little less since I bought a few assortments of the eBags cubes from Amazon a couple years ago (about $20 for 3). Makes it easy to keep items separate and a little more organized—especially in a backpack or large duffel. Mesh side panel makes them breathable and collapsible, they weigh nothing and and don't take up any space if you lay them flat. I find it a lot easier to get to what I need than rummaging through a big bag, messing everything up.

It's hard to know what size(s) you'll need, but I find the medium size to be the most practical. I also got some "slims" that are good for cords and cables or socks and underwear, and some larges that I may use here and there, but if I were just giving these a try, I'd go with the mediums.

[www.amazon.com]
Date: March 20, 2017 11:48AM
datbeme
I'm not an evangelist, but I HATE packing, and I hate it a little less since I bought a few assortments of the eBags cubes from Amazon a couple years ago (about $20 for 3). Makes it easy to keep items separate and a little more organized—especially in a backpack or large duffel. Mesh side panel makes them breathable and collapsible, they weigh nothing and and don't take up any space if you lay them flat. I find it a lot easier to get to what I need than rummaging through a big bag, messing everything up.

It's hard to know what size(s) you'll need, but I find the medium size to be the most practical. I also got some "slims" that are good for cords and cables or socks and underwear, and some larges that I may use here and there, but if I were just giving these a try, I'd go with the mediums.

[www.amazon.com]

Thanks, those ARE ON SALE NOW (lightning, deal, $20), I bought 2 colors, so you just cost me $40.
Posted by: particleman
Date: March 20, 2017 05:38PM
I like the garment folders like this one from Eagle Creek for my shirts. It came with a plastic sheet that works as a folding guide.

[shop.eaglecreek.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 362
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015