Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $143.95 ( +0.16 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Friggin airlines..
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 19, 2017 05:30PM
I truly despise airlines, they are worse than cable companies.

I have my Mother-in-law flying in for a visit in July. I purposely selected flights that did not involve a layover because she is from a small town in Honduras and gets confused. Everything was set both ways.

Then today I get notice that the airline is arbitrarily changing her reservation. It now has an overnight layover in Miami, of about 8 hours. This is all for a 1-hour flight to Tampa. I would just go get her, except if she misses a leg, then her return itinerary is cancelled.

Stupid airlines.

"The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing" -- Socrates
“I’m, like, a really smart person.” -- Donald Trump
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Friggin airlines..
Posted by: max
Date: March 19, 2017 05:38PM
I dont think an overnight layover in your situation is acceptable and since it was the airline that made the change, I am pretty sure you can change the return itinerary at no charge.
You will have to make a phone call and probably stay on the line for half an hour before you talk to anyone, but look at what other options they might offer when it comes to connections, then call them as soon as possible....
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 19, 2017 05:53PM
wife went to Romania when her dad was sick, then she could not make the flight back as her dad got worse. After he funeral, she bought a one way ticket back and in Paris she had to wait 8 hours as the aircraft was coming from Salt Lake City and was delayed. She arrived at Newark 8 hours later. We got some emails from Orbitz, they have a deal with AirHelp (may even be an Orbitz subsidiary, I am not sure), filled in the paperwork and she is supposed to get a nice refund. I think the refund it around $600, 200 is the AirHelpo fee, wife will get $400. The one way ticket back was actually $600 something, so AirFrance lost money on this deal.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: March 19, 2017 06:27PM
I'd start raising hell in public about it, especially since there's plenty of time to fix things if she isn't flying until July. Embarrass them on Twitter and Facebook, and post the links here so we can spread them around.

Bureaucratic outfits like airlines turn tail really fast when their dodgy behavior is exposed to sunlight.
Posted by: max
Date: March 19, 2017 06:31PM
It is not dodgy until they refuse to fix it....
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 19, 2017 06:57PM
Will Collier
I'd start raising hell in public about it, especially since there's plenty of time to fix things if she isn't flying until July. Embarrass them on Twitter and Facebook, and post the links here so we can spread them around.

Bureaucratic outfits like airlines turn tail really fast when their dodgy behavior is exposed to sunlight.

That or, your mom will be shipped to Timbuktu............. facepalm
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 20, 2017 12:18AM
Call the number at Clark.com they advertise for consultations. If you're no happy with the first person, call back and get another one.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: March 20, 2017 05:33AM
If the airline changes your itinerary and you don't like it you should be able to change it at no charge. Give them a call and talk to a "real person"
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: March 20, 2017 06:21AM
vicrock
If the airline changes your itinerary and you don't like it you should be able to change it at no charge. Give them a call and talk to a "real person"
This is correct. Especially with that much of a change, you should be able to rebook to different flights at no additional charge.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 20, 2017 10:05AM
Get on the phone.

Until the schmuck whose job it is to reschedule a planeload of peoples knows what your particular situation is they're not going to know their solution is not acceptable.

Get on the phone.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 20, 2017 10:56AM
Well that was a fun phone call...

In short the late flight she was scheduled for has been cancelled. Since there is only one flight a day from her country, there is no real option. They also said that because I booked using miles, I would have had to pay for any change fee.

Put another way - she is staying the night in Miami. Time to call in a favor from family in South Florida.

Still annoyed, but I've learned not to dwell.

Thanks for the help and for letting me vent.

"The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing" -- Socrates
“I’m, like, a really smart person.” -- Donald Trump
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 20, 2017 02:22PM
Sorry the airline screwed you over. SNAFU. However, you may not be giving her enough credit, she may find her way around quite ably, at least if she has a credit card.

Ombligo

In short the late flight she was scheduled for has been cancelled. Since there is only one flight a day from her country, there is no real option. They also said that because I booked using miles, I would have had to pay for any change fee.

Put another way - she is staying the night in Miami. Time to call in a favor from family in South Florida.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 21, 2017 11:36AM
Ombligo

I would bump that up to a supervisor and tell them to drop the change fee since they are the party that changed the flight to something totally different from what you booked, especially since it will cost you a hotel room, transport, meals, etc., which is totally unacceptable.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: davester
Date: March 21, 2017 01:10PM
double post

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2017 01:10PM by davester.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 400
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015