advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Photoshop guru - action question
Posted by: CW2V
Date: March 19, 2017 10:51PM
Trying to create an action that will create a quarter inch ellipse on any document (using the vector ellipse tool) regardless of the ppi of the document. I can record creating what I want, but it varies from document to document. The vector ellipse is created by entering the exact .25" dimensions, but it always records as pixel dimensions. Creating a selection and making a path from that wont work. Too imprecise. Not sure if there is a way to read the ppi using a script to create the size. Not well versed with scripting.

At this point, I have a stop in the action to create what I need each time. Since Photoshop now has the vector size dialog box defaulted to pixels, I have to enter "in" after the .25 to get it the size I need. Perhaps I'm missing a preference that would change the default to inches rather than pixels that would allow the action to run in inch measurements?

TIA

CW2V

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Photoshop guru - action question
Posted by: digby
Date: March 19, 2017 11:12PM
Hmmmm... any different if you save the ellipse as a path?

I doubt drawing an ellipse using the pen tool would be any better, but I'd try anything...
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 20, 2017 01:55AM
does it have to be a vector? how about setting it up as a pattern?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: March 20, 2017 05:13AM
jdc
does it have to be a vector? how about setting it up as a pattern?

It needs to be a vector path so it can be exported for alignment of CNC router paths.

CW2V
Posted by: DP
Date: March 20, 2017 06:41AM
I think it needs to be de-rasterized to be independent of ppi. I would need to recreate what your doing to be sure tho.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: bik
Date: March 20, 2017 09:32AM
A little hard to get my head around without knowing more details or seeing the variables of the different documents.

What I'm seeing in a quick test:

If I record the action on a document with the rulers set to inches, I can create an ellipse with a size defined in inches.

When I play that action back on documents with various PPI, the ellipse comes through at the appropriate inch-size rather than something related to the current document resolution.

###

So, the upshot is, can you record the action on a document with the rulers set to inches rather than pixels?
Are there other parts of the action that prevent that from working?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 09:33AM by bik.
Date: March 20, 2017 06:29PM

Photoshop CC (2017). Rulers set to inches. Create ellipse. Have to override default pixel settings by adding "in" after .25 - if i just typed in .25 I would get an ellipse a quarter of a pixel in size.

This is what gets recorded. All pixel measurements.

Recorded action used in base 300ppi image = .25" ellipse

Action ran in image at 100ppi = .75" ellipse

Need an automated action or script to create this at .25" - independent of the files' ppi. Having to stop the action to create a new ellipse by hand each time is not a deal breaker, but it does make it less effective.

CW2V
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 231
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015