Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $159.98 ( +0.20 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Photoshop guru - action question
Posted by: CW2V
Date: March 19, 2017 10:51PM
Trying to create an action that will create a quarter inch ellipse on any document (using the vector ellipse tool) regardless of the ppi of the document. I can record creating what I want, but it varies from document to document. The vector ellipse is created by entering the exact .25" dimensions, but it always records as pixel dimensions. Creating a selection and making a path from that wont work. Too imprecise. Not sure if there is a way to read the ppi using a script to create the size. Not well versed with scripting.

At this point, I have a stop in the action to create what I need each time. Since Photoshop now has the vector size dialog box defaulted to pixels, I have to enter "in" after the .25 to get it the size I need. Perhaps I'm missing a preference that would change the default to inches rather than pixels that would allow the action to run in inch measurements?

TIA

CW2V

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Photoshop guru - action question
Posted by: digby
Date: March 19, 2017 11:12PM
Hmmmm... any different if you save the ellipse as a path?

I doubt drawing an ellipse using the pen tool would be any better, but I'd try anything...
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 20, 2017 01:55AM
does it have to be a vector? how about setting it up as a pattern?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: March 20, 2017 05:13AM
jdc
does it have to be a vector? how about setting it up as a pattern?

It needs to be a vector path so it can be exported for alignment of CNC router paths.

CW2V
Posted by: DP
Date: March 20, 2017 06:41AM
I think it needs to be de-rasterized to be independent of ppi. I would need to recreate what your doing to be sure tho.

Posted by: bik
Date: March 20, 2017 09:32AM
A little hard to get my head around without knowing more details or seeing the variables of the different documents.

What I'm seeing in a quick test:

If I record the action on a document with the rulers set to inches, I can create an ellipse with a size defined in inches.

When I play that action back on documents with various PPI, the ellipse comes through at the appropriate inch-size rather than something related to the current document resolution.

###

So, the upshot is, can you record the action on a document with the rulers set to inches rather than pixels?
Are there other parts of the action that prevent that from working?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 09:33AM by bik.
Date: March 20, 2017 06:29PM

Photoshop CC (2017). Rulers set to inches. Create ellipse. Have to override default pixel settings by adding "in" after .25 - if i just typed in .25 I would get an ellipse a quarter of a pixel in size.

This is what gets recorded. All pixel measurements.

Recorded action used in base 300ppi image = .25" ellipse

Action ran in image at 100ppi = .75" ellipse

Need an automated action or script to create this at .25" - independent of the files' ppi. Having to stop the action to create a new ellipse by hand each time is not a deal breaker, but it does make it less effective.

CW2V
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 291
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015