AAPL stock: $143.89 ( +0.10 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Strange UPS Notice
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 20, 2017 07:17AM
This morning I received a notice purportedly from UPS:

Dear Customer,

We can not deliver your parcel arrived at March 18.

Please check the attachment for complete details!

With sincere thanks,
Harold Mckinney,
UPS Mail Delivery Agent.

<UPS-Label-09191097.zip>

Now I am expecting a package today (my new UPS from B&H), and UPS tracking says it is on the truck this morning. And I did check a box that said to notify me of any problem. But this came to an address that I use only for family, and never give to vendors. The zip file can't be opened on my iMac (maybe just as well). And the sending address,

bhpllc@a2plcpnl0490.prod.iad2.secureserver.net

is weird. So is this a phishing gimmick, wherein somehow the phishers knew I was expecting a package?

Phone number for the local UPS distribution center is no longer published, so I can't call them.

UPDATE: Got an agent at UPS.com, who confirms that this is a fraud. So somehow the phishers are getting delivery information—maybe by hacking into the UPS system?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Strange UPS Notice
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 20, 2017 07:38AM
.zip attachments are always a red flag.

I think it's just a standard broadly-cast net. They send out a million and hope to get lucky that someone is actually expecting email from that company. In the last year I have noticed a lot more of these types of emails spoofing big companies.

A spam email spoofing a legit company when you are expecting possible contact with that company is easy to get caught by. I've been a click away from disaster myself on one or two occasions in the same circumstances.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 07:44AM by Acer.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 20, 2017 07:57AM
I receive a fake UPS email every single day.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 20, 2017 08:27AM
Here, phishy phishy.....

Rule of email: NEVER ever ever ever click on links or attachments.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 20, 2017 08:36AM
MrLynn,

Definite phishing garbage.

Robert
Posted by: DP
Date: March 20, 2017 08:53AM
Yes, coincidence. I get these from "FedEx" a lot.

Posted by: billb
Date: March 20, 2017 10:17AM
It's one thing to get a random package delivery scam email, it's another when the scammer seems to have been privilege to the info regarding your legitimate pending delivery.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: JEBB
Date: March 20, 2017 10:19AM
If you're using an Apple or Linux computer what damage can be done? Both are immune to viruses so you can see if it is a legit message.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 20, 2017 10:36AM
JEBB
If you're using an Apple or Linux computer what damage can be done? Both are immune to viruses so you can see if it is a legit message.

Only partially immune. Just less likely that the payload will be effective on these OS's, but there are enough out there that use OS independent attacks that opening such attachments is not risk-free on either OS.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 20, 2017 10:52AM
You can always go to the UPS site and enter the tracking number to see where the package really is. No need to click on a link in a message of that sort. The bad language skills are another hint that it's not legit
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 20, 2017 11:15AM
DP
Yes, coincidence. I get these from "FedEx" a lot.

I get the "FedEx' ones almost daily. Besides the "From:" address being bogus, you would expect any shipper to include a tracking number in the email they send too.

And the final way I know to ignore these without opening, is that FedEx/UPS don't have my email address. And these are being sent to a Mac.com email address that I don't give out to anyone, they only receive SPAM.

And they contain attachments, that's the real goal of them is to get you to open the attachment which I assume contains malware. I get similar emails with "invoices", "payslips", "pictures", "voicemails", etc.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 20, 2017 12:38PM
JoeH
JEBB

Only partially immune. Just less likely that the payload will be effective on these OS's, but there are enough out there that use OS independent attacks that opening such attachments is not risk-free on either OS.

Just search for here Malwarebytes / Mbam. There is typically one thread a month from users here needing to remove crap from their Mac.

Thinking you are immune is someone's username, recipe for disaster.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 12:40PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 20, 2017 02:10PM
This is exactly why phishing is so successful. It seems silly to most of us, but these people send these out to literally millions of people.

A scam based on telling you that your Bank of America account needs your attention and you should click here to take care of it seems stupid, but of those millions of receivers, at least a few - perhaps 100s have just gotten home from opening a new BoA account or just got off the phone with them or just did SOMETHING involving BoA.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 400
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015