The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $160.47 ( +0.59 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MR Forum Fit Club: Splitting Image
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 20, 2017 10:14AM
MR Forum Fit Club

To encourage fitness goals, share experiences, educate and uplift each other.

If you haven't started yet, you are welcome at anytime.

Share as much or as little as you want with the group.

Starting out doesn't need to be a big step, just take that step.

Remember, choose one path at a time and your workouts will be less painful.

Only got in 1 upper body workout at the gym. Played in two 5 on 5 basketball games going 0-4 with 2 shot being air-balls and one getting blocked. I was decent on defense. Carb intake was terrible. I ate a bunch of leftover doughnuts from an event I participated in. If it were not for the basketball, the week would have been a net gain in weight.

Last week: 1 upper body workout, 2 basketball games.
This week: 2 upper body workouts, 1 basketball game.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MR Forum Fit Club: Splitting Image
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 20, 2017 11:14AM
Hi everyone,

It seems my diabetes took a turn for the worse as of late. As a result, in addition to my normal day to day exercise, I've had to take my low-carb diet to the next level. Very very annoying. In my efforts to find alternatives to grains and such, I'm please to say I've found some new products that are great for people stuck in my situation.

For bread, I've tried the following from the Great Low Carb Bread Company:

[www4.netrition.com]

My first purchase was plain. By itself, the bread tastes like the starch peanuts company use for packaging protection. However, lightly toasted with peanut butter or cold cuts and cheese and such, it becomes edible and is _very_ filling. Since I adore sourdough bread, I ordered a loaf of the sourdough flavor.

I also tried plain bagels from Thinslim Foods:

[www4.netrition.com]

They taste better than plain bread from the Great Low Carb Bread Company by themselves. Lightly toasted with a smear of cream cheese and they are much better. However, they don't have the chewy consistency of a good New York bagel. The chewiness is more light toasted bread. Just 2 net carbs. Seriously. 2 net carbs. I call them fagels since they look like bagels but are more like regular bread.

Considering the number of carbs in a single plain bagel can range from 12 or so net carbs for a mini bagel to 60+ net carbs in a large bagel, I'm willing to eat a fagel and make the best of it. Thinslim foods also makes bread. So, I ordered a loaf of their honey flavored bread. I'm betting it's going to be surprisingly good.

I have to say, the low-carb bread and bagels are _very_ filling. Annoying that I have to keep them frozen especially since I don't have a lot of space in the freezer. I keep them in the freezer at my office and bring some home with me as necessary. When I want to eat a slice or two, I take them out, nuke them for 20 to 30 seconds and then throw'im in the toaster for a brief time.

And, yes, I admit they are expensive. Unfortunately, that's one of the prices I pay for being diabetic. Alternatives to everyday food that non-diabetics can eat tend to be pricey. It is what it is and I deal with it accordingly.

On the next go-around, I'm going to try Dixie USA's Carb Counters Baked Bagel Chips.

[www4.netrition.com]

Low-carb. Crunchy. Should be dandy with cream cheese, butter or the dip/spread of my choice.

I've also tried Thinnables Snack Crackers:

[www4.netrition.com]

They aren't bad at all! They can't truly replace Cheeze-it or Goldfish crackers but, again, I don't have many options. They're cheesy, crunchy and surprisingly good considering they are low-carb alternatives to my faves.

Netrition.com [www.netrtition.com] has a great selection of low-carb foods, low-shipping costs and fast delivery. It is my go-to site for low-carb products. Highly recommended!

Robert

Edit:

Just tried the sourdough bread from the Great Low Carb Bread company. Much better than the plain version!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 01:00PM by Robert M.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 20, 2017 02:11PM
Robert M., sorry to hear about your diabetes taking a turn for the worse. It is a nasty disease. I'm glad you have found sources for low-carb foods.

33.28 miles on my treadmill. Weight steady although it seems to be shifting to my belly more and more because my belt is getting tighter. Sad.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: March 20, 2017 02:22PM
Speedy,

Thanks... 2015-2016 was a very bad year for me health-wise. Constant illnesses, lack of sleep and stress took its toll on me. I'm paying the price for it now. Fortunately, I know what I need to do to get everything under control again. More importantly, I'm taking steps to help prevent some the illnesses that hit me so hard last year. That alone is going to make a _huge_ difference.

And, finally finding a much wider variety of diabetes friendly food is a welcome change. I've always been able to get it but the selection wasn't all that great. Now, though, it has improved dramatically. Loaves of bread? Very few worthwhile choices the last time I looked for bread. I had to stick with low-carb wraps. Now? A significant variety.

Netrition.com is definitely getting lots of business this year! smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: blooz
Date: March 20, 2017 02:56PM
Sorry about your diabetes, but I like your attitude toward dealing with it.
Being positive has got to be a big help.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 02:57PM by blooz.
Date: March 20, 2017 03:05PM
blooze,

Thanks. I decided in 2017 was the year to give my diabetes a kick in the <censored> with steel toed boots. I've done it before. I can do it again. No doubt in my mind! smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: March 21, 2017 05:06AM
I guess we're of that age.
The only exercises I'm doing are the physical therapy ones for my back. Gotta strengthen those core muscles!
I DID row for 6 minutes yesterday, though. That's a start.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: pipiens
Date: March 21, 2017 11:23AM
over weight under worked - RATS!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

max
Guests: 224
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015