Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.29 ( -0.51 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: bought postage stamps today. Honored WPA but
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 20, 2017 11:15AM
the clerk had no idea what the WPA was! CCC camps and WPA I guess are just a footnote in American History. Many fine artists came out of the WPA giving them a chance.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: bought postage stamps today. Honored WPA but
Posted by: ArtP
Date: March 20, 2017 11:56AM
Maybe the post office is still on dial up modems???

WPA: Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) and Wi-Fi Protected Access II (WPA2) are two security protocols. and security certification programs developed by the Wi-Fi Alliance to secure wireless computer networks. The Alliance defined these in response to serious weaknesses researchers had found in the previous system, Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP).[1]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 20, 2017 12:10PM
... (sigh)

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 20, 2017 12:11PM

and he was probably looking up at this when he said it.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 20, 2017 01:59PM
The WPA did a lot of artwork for our National Parks. I collect the art posters from the parks that have one, if I have been there. A number of modern posters have been commissioned to recreate the old look, but for many of the newer parks. I have a number of them as well. [www.rangerdoug.com]

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 20, 2017 02:02PM
The original buildings are slowly disappearing. I adore the style of those CCC buildings. There's a local boy scout camp that was built by the CCC, log cabins, classic lodge building, etc... Still a classic, still beautiful. Sadly... can't be used for summer camps any more because the 'modern' 1960's septic system was destroyed away in a 500 year flood in 2005.

And of course some idiot decided to put drywall in the cabins, and that filled with mold. Who DOES that ?
Posted by: tronnei
Date: March 20, 2017 03:14PM
The stamps went on sale March 7. One of this year's better issues.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 20, 2017 03:43PM
There is plenty of evidence of both programs here in my neck of the woods. My old stone schoolhouse was built by the WPA during the height of the depression. You can tell whoever was in charge of the project knew their business. I still imagine the hard labor it took to get those big rocks in place for the walls. Power equipment was sparse during that time, so I guess it was just hungry laborers who did all the grunt work.

CCC's work is very noticeable out in the woods. When we go out on the trails for quad rides, you can see stands of evergreens planted in neat rows, and it's almost creepy seeing that way out in the middle of nowhere. (75 years earlier, before the CCC work, the whole area was clear cut for lumber).

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Date: March 20, 2017 06:40PM
cbelt3
The original buildings are slowly disappearing. I adore the style of those CCC buildings. There's a local boy scout camp that was built by the CCC, log cabins, classic lodge building, etc... Still a classic, still beautiful. Sadly... can't be used for summer camps any more because the 'modern' 1960's septic system was destroyed away in a 500 year flood in 2005.

And of course some idiot decided to put drywall in the cabins, and that filled with mold. Who DOES that ?

Camp Long in Seattle was done by them. Check out your neighborhood! [livingnewdeal.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 06:45PM by Racer X.
Posted by: jh
Date: March 20, 2017 07:14PM
WPA Murals Listing Site

List of WPA Post Office Murals

While I am thinking about it let's not forget the Art Deco style of buildings (and everything else that was made in that style). This one below is the old Nashville TN downtown post office built in 1934-35. Today it is the Frist Art Center. They restored it saving all the Art Deco style they could. The building was across the street from the Union Train Station (now a hotel) when trains moved the mail. More info here. Take an online online of the lobby and see the metal work showing transportation icons from that time period. I always enjoy visiting the site for the Art Deco items preserved.

Date: March 20, 2017 07:44PM
You know, as bad as the Depression was, Art Deco and the WPA make that era suck less.

I desperately hope eventually I can locate the old Art Deco tri-color gold watch my dad had when I was a kid. Curved watch to hug the wrist and a tri color gold band, with a rose gold case.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 358
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015