The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $140.64 ( -0.28 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
20th Anniversary Mac is 20 Year Old
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 20, 2017 12:00PM
[www.cultofmac.com]

March 20, 1997: Apple launches its Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh, a futuristic special edition Mac that’s ahead of its time in every way.

Not part of any established Mac line, with a look (and price!) unlike anything available in 1997, the Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh unfortunately bombs at the marketplace. Today, it’s a collector’s piece.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 20th Anniversary Mac is 20 Year Old
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 20, 2017 12:20PM
Apple should release a 20th anniversary 20th anniversary.

Posted by: 3d
Date: March 20, 2017 12:28PM
Originally priced at $7499 in 1997 — adjusted for inflation — today it would cost $11,025.
thumbs up
Posted by: p8712
Date: March 20, 2017 12:54PM
I remember when they were being blown out at sub $1000 prices - and were available cheaply used. I shoulda bought a few.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 20, 2017 01:56PM
That photo could use some lens flare!
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 20, 2017 02:33PM
I thought it cool. Almost got one new for $2k. But already owned a Iici
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: March 20, 2017 03:06PM
I agree with just about everyone above. Looked cool, if not awesome, but performance was mediocre with other Macs at the time, IIRC. Still, I drooled over them at the Apple Show at Javits Center. I too wish I snagged one when they were being flushed out at sub $1000 prices. Could have added to my collection of the Apple II, my Performa 475, Blue G3 tower and iMac G4, all on display in our mini museum slash unfinished diner setup in the basement.

Dave

The secret to a long life is...

Don't do anything to shorten it.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 20, 2017 03:29PM
Built for the rich man, no doubt. I lusted for one, was going to buy, but my common sense took over. By the time they were half way affordable, the specs were eclipsed by other models.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 20, 2017 03:32PM
Rick-o
Built for the rich man, no doubt. I lusted for one, was going to buy, but my common sense took over. By the time they were half way affordable, the specs were eclipsed by other models.

I felt that way about the G4 Cube but I bought it anyway. Still happy I bought it. I did my major work on a dual G4 but I no longer have that machine.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 20, 2017 03:46PM
pRICE cUBE
Rick-o

I felt that way about the G4 Cube but I bought it anyway. Still happy I bought it. I did my major work on a dual G4 but I no longer have that machine.

Oh, I wanted one of those too! Dang cheapskate in me wouldn't allow it.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: tenders
Date: March 20, 2017 08:37PM
I remember when they came out and agree, the reviews were pretty bad because of the high cost and low performance, but have never seen one in the wild.
Posted by: tronnei
Date: March 21, 2017 03:27PM
Jerry had one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 310
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015