advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $146.28 ( +0.65 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Remember those Apple items that would sudden start selling on ebay for 10x their previous value?
Posted by: hal
Date: March 20, 2017 04:38PM
I remember isight cameras going for $150-$200 at one point - just saw an auction end for one of these without a bid. It couldn't attract a $3 opening bid.

Remember OS 10.5 discs going for $100-$200... they can't get $5 anymore.

Of course, the reason those things were selling for so much was that they were needed for some Mac Pro towers... and THEY can be had for under $100 now...

Time marches on...

I dunno... just amused me at the moment...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Remember those Apple items that would sudden start selling on ebay for 10x their previous value?
Posted by: BernDog
Date: March 20, 2017 04:51PM
Don't forget AppleTV 2s going crazy because they were hackable when version 3s weren't.
Re: Remember those Apple items that would sudden start selling on ebay for 10x their previous value?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 20, 2017 05:06PM
and attractive young hookers fetch more than wrinkled old has-been hookers & that's in direct contradiction with booze, say a fine vintage single malt scotch that gets more valuable with age and rarity.

As time marches on, some things improve with age, others not so much.
==
Posted by: clay
Date: March 20, 2017 07:38PM
Also 10.6 DVDs that were fetching well north of $100 for a time after Apple removed it from their web store but were still selling them via phone. I made a KILLING on those over the course of about 3 months in the fall of 2012.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 20, 2017 08:06PM
iSight cameras are still usable on Mac Pros, even 2013 and newer with an adapter. Low resolution, but still…

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 20, 2017 08:10PM
I had a 10.5 disc that I never sold even while I watched market peak...because I needed the dang thing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 08:11PM by Acer.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 20, 2017 09:28PM
clay
Also 10.6 DVDs that were fetching well north of $100 for a time after Apple removed it from their web store but were still selling them via phone. I made a KILLING on those over the course of about 3 months in the fall of 2012.

I don't recall those ever being expensive.

Apple was selling them for $20 via their online store for years and years.

IIRC, they essentially had to sell them because you needed SL to use the App store if you wanted to upgrade the OS even further.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 20, 2017 09:39PM
freeradical
clay

IIRC, they essentially had to sell them because you needed SL to use the App store if you wanted to upgrade the OS even further.

Also, I believe, to use Migration Assistant. I think I had to take my sister's ancient MBP to 10.6 so she could migrate her data to her new 2012 MBP. And I think when I called Apple to register her AppleCare, I griped about not being able to use MA from her old machine and they sent her the 10.6 disc for free.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 09:41PM by Speedy.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 20, 2017 09:58PM
freeradical
clay

They were. I was buying them by the 10 pack over the phone and selling them faster than I could get them from Apple.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: March 20, 2017 10:00PM
I can assure you the 10.6 craze was real, albeit somewhat brief. It was the best item I've ever sold, and I've sold thousands of items online in the past 5 years. I kind of happened upon it by accident, but I rode that wave until Apple caught on to folks like me cashing in on their stupid decision to remove it from their web store.
Date: March 20, 2017 10:01PM
C(-)ris
freeradical
clay

They were. I was buying them by the 10 pack over the phone and selling them faster than I could get them from Apple.

I was able to get them to sell me 100 at a time...I think twice before they shut that down.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 236
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015