*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
american craft brews
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 26, 2017 08:37AM
[www.foodandwine.com]

boy ..... do I miss Celis White.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

The Howlin Souls - [goo.gl]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: american craft brews
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 26, 2017 09:27AM
That list is bunk. It didn't even mention Burt Grant or Grant's Pale Ale. Burt Grant started the first microbrewery post-prohibition and almost singlehandedly plotted the roadmap for how to create a brewpub.

[web.archive.org]

[www.nytimes.com]
[www.seattlepi.com]
[smile.amazon.com]

The curious can still visit his original mashtun at Yakima Craft Brewing. When Burt started his brewery no one was making small brewing equipment. He had to have something hand made in Portugal I believe.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2017 03:46PM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 26, 2017 01:17PM
Numbers 1 and 2 are a given, possessing the rare combination of both decent taste and wide availability. (But I'll take #1 over #2 anyday.) I usually look for something new when out shopping, sometimes being pleasantly surprised and sometimes getting something worse.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 26, 2017 04:33PM
I'll look for Grant's Pale Ale, but I don't usually like them as much as other beers. Grant's Imperial Stout sounds good but it doesn't look like it is still being produced. I know the son that was part of the father/son team that first started the Palo Alto Brewing Co. in 1983. They opened a year after Grant.

I have enjoyed most of the products from Triple Rock Brewery (formerly Roaring Rock Brewery) that opened in 1985. They cosponsored the first iteration of the Berkeley Beer Festival around 1993.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: March 26, 2017 06:41PM
Yakima Brewing and Malting ceased operations some time ago after Burt Grant sold the brewery and the new owners plowed the business into the ground. The list isn't "The 25 Best Beers" it was "The 25 Most Important American Craft Beers Ever Brewed". By that definition, Grant's is, by default, #1 as his was the first Craft Beer brewed. It was also pretty good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2017 06:41PM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: March 27, 2017 08:44AM
Fritz
[www.foodandwine.com]

boy ..... do I miss Celis White.

Seconded. I have a great memory of sitting at the tap for my samples after the brewery tour in Austin, and up walks Pierre. The tour guide saw his approach and had a glass of White ready for him. He was a personable small statured man and sat and chatted with our group for quite a while.....

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Date: March 27, 2017 11:12AM
I had a little side discussion with Eustace that reminded me that Grant's was not the first microbrewery, but rather the first Brewpub...or the first recognized by the ATF that I'm aware of. Nonetheless, I stand by my assertion that Grant's beer should be on the list. Maybe not #1, but at least top 5.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 336
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015