advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.14 ( +2.59 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"Best if used by" date lapsed while frozen.
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 27, 2017 07:43PM
Perhaps I should have just PM'd Paul F., but I figured the info might be helpful to others.

I have Southwestern Style Egg Beaters several times a week for breakfast. They make a fine omelet and they're easy and quick to deal with. Unfortunately, there are only two stores around that carry them and they're both 20 minutes away, so when I go I usually buy a half dozen cartons at a time and freeze them. Well, the "Best if used by" date on the last batch was 3/21/17 and I still have two cartons left. Once thawed, what are the chances they're still okay (read: safe) to eat? FWIW, I emailed Conagra that question and received this for an answer:

Thank you for your email regarding our Egg Beaters Southwestern.
We do not recommend freezing our Southwestern style seasoned Egg Beaters as it affects the texture of the vegetables.
Thanks again for your inquiry.

They make pretty a good egg substitute, but they're not very good at reading and understanding English. Which is why I'm now asking here.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Best if used by" date lapsed while frozen.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 27, 2017 07:49PM
you're fine.

Posted by: DinerDave
Date: March 27, 2017 08:14PM
You are fine IMO.
Freezing is "Nature's Pause Button"

The sell by date doesn't mean that it turns to rat poison at midnight. You should have several days plus depending on the product and whether or not there was any temperature abuse before freezing, example, leaving the product out on the counter while using it, allowing the product temp to rise considerably.

Just my opinion, but I feel you should be fine.

Dave

The secret to a long life is...

Don't do anything to shorten it.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 27, 2017 08:16PM
If you would have made them at 11:59 PM on the 20th, they would have been fine -- but at 12:01 AM on the 21st they were instant death. smiley-shocked003

At least thats what my wife thinks... RollingEyesSmiley5

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 27, 2017 08:30PM
Nothing to worry about. I frequently buy short dated stuff and freeze it. The clock just about stops when you freeze it, assuming your freezer is cold enough, and the packaging is appropriate. Saran Wrap on a styrofoam tray is only OK for short freezing times for example.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 27, 2017 08:32PM
DinerDave hit it, freezing is nature's pause button. Russian royalty ate mammoth meat that was recovered frozen from the Siberian tundra. You'll be fine.

As an aside, my local Walgreens drugstore sells milk that has a sell-by date that is closer than three days for 50¢ a gallon. I have one gallon in my fridge that is half empty and its sell-by date is today. I have a second unopened gallon with the same date that I will finish by this weekend. Heck of a buy!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2017 08:38PM by Speedy.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 27, 2017 08:33PM
It's "best if used by" not "you'll die a thousand deaths if you don't use this by "

More often than not it's the packaging with the short life expectancy not the food in it.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 27, 2017 09:14PM
Thanks. It's kind of what I figured. I'm less concerned about the one I'm about to open than the one still in the freezer that I probably won't open for another week or so.
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: March 28, 2017 12:35AM
I wouldn't worry about it. Dairy products are usually good a week past due date just refrigerated. I always get my yogart when it's marked down, never had a problem.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: March 28, 2017 02:04AM
the stuff will be perfectly edible.
[www.webmd.com]
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 28, 2017 06:10AM
DinerDave
You are fine IMO.
Freezing is "Nature's Pause Slow Motion Button"

fixed
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 28, 2017 08:10AM
....I do the same...when Eggbeaters or any liquid egg product is on sale.......buy in bulk and freeze them........never had any issues and have used them 6 months after the date.......the eggs are pasteurized so they are 'safe'.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 28, 2017 09:19AM
Wurm,

Best if used by and sell by dates are different. A sell by date means it's the last date a store can sell the food, which in itself will be good for X amount beyond that date. Best if used by means the food will not necessarily be as good (or safe) to eat after that date. 'course, those dates are conservative and its impacted by how said food is stored. Throwing something into the freeze extends those dates significantly. Still, after a certain amount of time, you still need to toss it.

Robert
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 28, 2017 10:53AM
Dude... just eat it...
With dairy and eggs, "the nose knows". Ignore the date, trust your nose.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 28, 2017 12:18PM
They are certainly safe. But if you've frozen them in the box above your fridge (rather than a deep freezer), your eggs have been frozen, partially thawed, and re-frozen over and over and over again. This can affect the texture of the eggs and the added veggies.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: tronnei
Date: March 28, 2017 01:36PM
Had some Kraft sweet and sour sauce on the table for dinner on Sunday. Its "Best if used by" date was 26 March 2012--five years to the day we were consuming it. Looked fine, tasted fine, and I'm still here to talk about it. Went back in the fridge after the meal.
Posted by: numbered
Date: March 28, 2017 02:40PM
for those interested in the history of "best if...", 99% Invisible did a story on the background and the inconsistencies about how the standards are determined. In many cases the sell by dates are only based on a taste test, not safety. Or on a date just because (like the date on the Isopropyl Alcohol I just bought.)

They did not report on our local system, Better Ask PaulF™

99% Invisible is a podcast, but the web site has some of the backstory if you prefer not to listen.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 28, 2017 02:59PM
Hi everyone,

I know we are all about trying to save a buck when feasible but there is a point of diminishing returns. How much will it cost to replace an old, long expired bottle of Kraft Sweet and Sour sauce? $2.00? If I found it in my pantry or fridge, I'd toss it and not give it a second thought. That's just me. But, then again, I've gotten sick from eating food that was just recently expired despite storing it properly. No doubt that is playing a role in this. I'd rather toss and replace than take the chance again.

Robert
Posted by: fauch
Date: March 28, 2017 06:46PM
If it's frozen I'm sure you're fine. (even if not you are probably fine within a reasonable amount of time).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 293
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015