Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hotspot Device and Provider
Posted by: kap
Date: March 29, 2017 01:04PM
We will be moving into an apartment complex in Pasadena where ATT is the monopoly. The options offered by the management is either pay for the $120 cable TV and internet bundle or nothing at all...no other cable/internet providers are allowed (not sure if that is even legal!). However, we are permitted to use a hotspot of our own choosing. We have been told Sprint transmission is average. The monthly charge is $15; we would be required to purchase the $125 Sprint Hotspot box. As cell phone customers with T-mobile, we can add on a $10 per month hotspot option with a $20 one time initial fee of activation. We can use any hotspot device. Haven't checked ATT yet. What are your thought on this? Thanks in advance for any useful suggestions.

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hotspot Device and Provider
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 29, 2017 01:44PM
I've been using a FreedomPop hotspot that has worked well for me. It's on the sprint network I believe. I think it includes 500mb of data/month for free, but you can pay for additional data.

This is what I have:
[shop.freedompop.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 29, 2017 02:02PM
Straighttalk also has a dedicated hotspot devices to choose from and various levels of service ranging from 1GB ($15/month) to 7GB ($75). It uses the ATT network

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2017 02:03PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 29, 2017 02:52PM
What are your internet/data needs?

I couldn't use a hotspot as my only internet source at home. I'd blow through the data allotment in a couple of days probably and have hundreds/thousands of dollars in overages...
Posted by: numbered
Date: March 29, 2017 03:17PM
The data allotment issue is huge if you intend to use a hotspot as a regular connection.

The best detail on using hotspots as full time ISP is within the RV community. These guys have an overview of choices if you look at "cellular" (and ignore the others which are for RVs.) This link to their comparison of the carriers is useful.

Tl;dr: not a happy idea unless you have an old (circa 2011) Verizon Unlimited plan. Will get to caps and throttled pretty quickly.

One last idea: sonic.net is a beloved ISP from Norcal. It has been offering service that is provided over ATT. Could you sneak in with sonic? (Or is this "deal" provided directly by the building with no ATT contact?) Sonic sells FTTN over uverse which is probably what the building has if if offers TV. Sonic does all the dealing with ATT.

You can use the availability tool at Sonic to see....
Date: March 29, 2017 05:08PM
Gareth,
We use the Internet connection for the usual tasks: email, text, video-chat, light to medium net-surfing, and occasional YouTube (mainly for soccer matches) and TV shows. Then there is college homework assignments. Nothing heavy.

numbered,
No other ISPs allowed; hotspots only.

Ombligo,
Will check out Straight Talk. Thanks!

SoCal for now.
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 29, 2017 05:22PM
kap
We use the Internet connection for the usual tasks: email, text, video-chat, light to medium net-surfing, and occasional YouTube (mainly for soccer matches) and TV shows. Then there is college homework assignments. Nothing heavy.

Anything involving video will consume data quickly.

I wonder if there's any sharing of a broadband connection going on in that apartment building between friendly neighbors using WiFi.
Date: March 29, 2017 08:52PM
GGD
kap

Anything involving video will consume data quickly.

I wonder if there's any sharing of a broadband connection going on in that apartment building between friendly neighbors using WiFi.

I have had the same thought; people want their privacy regardless of the recent fed ruling.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: March 30, 2017 07:04AM
There's a lot of chatter about the Mobley device running on the AT&T network. It's designed to plug into the OBD-II port on any vehicle and provide a hotspot, but people have been wiring them up to 110v power. Some sellers on eBay are even advertising the power plugs. Anyway, with the Mobley you can call AT&T Car Connection and get them to switch it to an unlimited plan that costs a flat $20/mo. No other AT&T service or account is required. It is throttled, or so they say, after 22Gb but for $20/mo it's not a bad deal.
Date: March 30, 2017 10:11AM
bobinmurphy
There's a lot of chatter about the Mobley device running on the AT&T network. It's designed to plug into the OBD-II port on any vehicle and provide a hotspot, but people have been wiring them up to 110v power. Some sellers on eBay are even advertising the power plugs. Anyway, with the Mobley you can call AT&T Car Connection and get them to switch it to an unlimited plan that costs a flat $20/mo. No other AT&T service or account is required. It is throttled, or so they say, after 22Gb but for $20/mo it's not a bad deal.

That is interesting. Definitely worth a closer look!
Question: throttled? The speed reduced after reaching the allotted limit?

SoCal for now.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 30, 2017 04:10PM
What cable channels do you get? If it's everything, that's a great deal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 236
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015