advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 
 

AAPL stock: $529.48 ( -2.22 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cat swallowed ribbon, what do to?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 11, 2006 04:45PM
So I wake up to the cat making throw-up noises, and I notice he's got a piece of ribbon hanging out of his mouth. I manage to pull about a foot out and cut it off, but there is more, maybe another foot I'm guessing if this is the piece of ribbon I saw before.

Should I just pull it out? It seemed to be kinda stuck and I didn't want to damage his little internal organs. He seems ok for now, hiding under the desk, but not having trouble breathing or anything.

What to do?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cat swallowed ribbon, what do to?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 11, 2006 04:50PM
Keep an eye on him. Take him into the vet right away if he stops eating. Cats can't go very long at all without nourishment.





VTPKL it!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cat swallowed ribbon, what do to?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 11, 2006 04:54PM
I'd take him to the vet, or at least call the vet. 2 feet of ribbon is a lot; if there's still a foot in there, I'd be worried.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2006 04:55PM by ka jowct.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cat swallowed ribbon, what do to?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 11, 2006 04:54PM
I think cats have pretty robust digestive systems, so maybe he can pass it, although that could be messy too.

Had a cat pass a rubber band once, well almost, had to help it out the last little bit.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cat swallowed ribbon, what do to?
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: December 11, 2006 05:01PM
need to get to a vet. If the ribbon blocks his intestines....



Bryan
______________________________________________________
Mac Mini 2.4 GHz/8GB ram/OS 10.9.1
MacBook Pro (Early 2008 model) 2.4 GHz, 4GB ram, 200GB hard drive/ Mac OS 10.9.1 and XP SP3
iPhone 4S iOS 7 64GB
Location: Cincinnati
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cat swallowed ribbon, what do to?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 11, 2006 05:03PM
. . .as long as he/she didn't swallow the canary. . .



____________________________________________________

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cat swallowed ribbon, what do to?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 11, 2006 05:05PM
A consultation with a vet is definitely called for...

Chances are good that it will, uh, "pass" by itself... but I would definitely want to get the opinion of a real vet on that.

He might say "give him a laxative, he'll be OK.. and keep him away from ribbons..."
Or he might say "Uh, oh.. I'll schedule the OR, get him here in the next hour...".

Like I said, my own opinion is he'll probably just pass it... but I'd call my vet ASAP.



Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cat swallowed ribbon, what do to?
Posted by: bfd
Date: December 11, 2006 05:44PM
bfd'd sixth the vet call. If catsky starts trying to hawk the ribbon up, it might injure his esophagus. Worst case, it chokes on it.

Christmas and cats. A bad combination.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cat swallowed ribbon, what do to?
Posted by: herbiesyufy
Date: December 11, 2006 05:47PM
My sister's cat died after eating a Christmas ribbon. The problem was, the intestines couldn't "pass it", so they just ended up crimping themselves into an inoperable knot. The convulsing action of the intestinal muscles essentially caused them to "crawl" up into a tiny ball along the length of the ribbon.

This is not to scare you...just to let you know that calling the vet would probably be warranted.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cat swallowed ribbon, what do to?
Posted by: finn
Date: December 11, 2006 05:55PM
Again.... call the vet. If it starts to come out "the other end" do not pull it! You can do damage to his intestines. One of my cats got ahold of ribbon and my husband managed to retrieve it from the mouth. He pulled it out very gently. My vet told us never pull it out if you meet resistence and never, ever, pull it out from the nether region.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cat swallowed ribbon, what do to?
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: December 11, 2006 06:39PM
Back in 1994 while we were living in Oman, our cat swallowed a foot long thread with a needle attached, thread first. We saw him take the thread in his mouth and tried to grab it before it went down but were not fast enough. I held him and wife put her fingers in his mouth and down his throat to get it and ended up with some pretty bad punctures.

It happened on a Wednesday, the day before the weekend in the Muslim world, so we rushed him to the only public vet in the Muscat area. It turned out that the only vet in Oman with X-Ray capability was the Sultan's vet. The public vet arranged a referral for us to take our cat to the Sultan's vet, a Brit, and sedated the cat to keep him from moving around over the weekend. It was quite an experience for wife as she had to have papers to present to the Sultan's Royal Guard, who had rifles and bands of ammunition slung over their shoulders, in order to enter the compound which is where the Sultan kept his stable of Arabian horses.

The Sultan's vet kept the cat for a few days to see if he would pass the needle and thread. When it did not come out on its own they operated and removed the needle and thread.

This was the second time our cat cheated death by ingesting something he should not have. A few years before, I found a small soft plastic dragon with small protrusions all over it, which had been dropped by trick or treaters. A few days later, we noticed that our cat (the same one) was gagging and spitting up blood and had not had a bowel movement in quite a while. We took him to the vet who did not seem concerned, explaining that it was not unusual for a cat to be constipated and to spit up blood. Not finding that acceptable, we went to another vet who had earlier treated another cat for feline leukemia and had impressed us as being very capable. He X-Rayed the cat and noticed some strange shadows in the intestines. He operated and removed several solidified, rough pieces of plastic dragon. Apparently after the soft plastic was swallowed it hardened when it became immersed in stomach acid. He would have died without the surgery.

When the cat was treated for swallowing the needle and thread, the Sultan's vet told us the real danger was not the needle but the thread which could have become wrapped around in his intestines and become difficult if not impossible to remove. You need to get your cat to the vet without delay. Good luck to you and the cat.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cat swallowed ribbon, what do to?
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: December 12, 2006 07:21AM
Do you LIKE the cat? smiling smiley



******************************

******************************
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cat swallowed ribbon, what do to?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 12, 2006 07:41AM
Yeah he's pretty cool. Getting rather long in the tooth, as Maine Coon's do, so I'm weary of surgery for him at this point. Will take him in today if the situation does not improve. 12 hours so far with no bowel movement.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cat swallowed ribbon, what do to?
Posted by: Jem
Date: December 12, 2006 09:18AM
Prepare for a specially wrapped "gift", tied up with a bow.

Serious... see a vet. Best of luck!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cat swallowed ribbon, what do to?
Posted by: Baby Tats
Date: December 12, 2006 11:23AM
What your cat has what is called a linear obstruction as opposed to something like a hairball which is just a blob. The problem as others have mentioned is that linear obstructions, especially long ones, will cause the intestine to fold around and knot up as it tries to move the obstruction out. When this happens it quickly becomes life threatening, surgery will follow and your cat will lose part of his intestine. A vet may suggest that you use catlax to lubricate things until it passes which is probably a good idea. If it does not pass or your cat stops eating or drinking then you will have to get xrays to see what is going on. If it has obstructed then your cat will need immediate surgery. If it starts to come out then don't pull, just trim it. Your cat will probably run around the house after going because of the large @#$%& chasing it so be prepared to catch and trim. Good luck, get to your vet for advice or at least call and see if they recommend catlax and also how long they want you to wait before getting an x-ray.



BT


Signed parental releases are on file for all tattooed minors.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login