Posted by: Drew
Date: April 07, 2017 04:30AM
n/t
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I really hate Ikea
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 07, 2017 05:18AM
Hard on your wallet, eh?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: April 07, 2017 06:17AM
I seldom enjoy visiting Ikea stores.

Parking is awful with almost no spots near the entrance. Layout like a labyrinth. A long walk to get to whichever part of the store is my goal that day. And then I have to put together a list of all of the parts necessary to build the furniture and then hike down to the warehouse to crawl the aisles for all of those parts and then wait on long lines and have to buy the shopping bags to carry the small stuff and then have to deal with getting it out to my car.

It's exhausting.

Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: April 07, 2017 07:15AM
I had the greatest laughing spell of my adult life at Ikea. My wife and I were walking through the store and I became increasingly amused by the idiotic names of the products "Hey, maybe we should get the Fnork coffee table and pair it with the Snurkenflit loveseat."

I started laughing so hard I got that amazing feeling of giddiness that little kids get when they can't stop laughing, it's almost like temporary insanity. In the moment it suddenly struck me that I hadn't laughed like that in many years, it kinda made me a little sad afterwards.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer
Posted by: billb
Date: April 07, 2017 07:41AM
First time I went to Ikea I went alone and about 20 minutes in got a severe and sudden overwhelming case of Ikeaphobia and ran for the exit and went home.
I've been back and have been less than thrilled with the few things I have purchased there.

My sister bought her kitchen there and I was tasked with assembling it and installing it. Was kinda fun actually but I don't think I would buy the same for myself.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Mr645
Date: April 07, 2017 07:46AM
I left a review from my first and last visit:
Was not sure what all the talk was about, but decided to buy a bed and some furniture for a relative based on what I saw on their website. I drove 45 minutes to the store, parked, entered, took a few minutes to figure out where things are since there is no staff. I go upstairs, walk about 3/4 mile to find bedroom furniture, wander around a little and find one person at a small desk with several people waiting in line for assistance. I waited about 20 minutes and the staff person was very friendly, I showed him what I printed out online, he said no problem, I'll enter this for you and you can go downstairs and get it. He does and a couple of minutes later I have another paper with a list of the boxes I need and what Isle and Bin they are in. I walk about another mile, go down stairs and find a big cart. Again, they have very few employees so assistance is virtually non existent. I find Isle 1 and go to Bin 45 and there is nothing there. I double check my paper, the numbers match but no furniture. I push my cart over to the 2 employees standing at a computer and in 2 minutes they are ready to help me. I hand them my sheet from upstairs and explain that the items are not at the bins. They check on the computer and tell me these items are out of stock. A waste of almost 3 hours that won't be repeated.
Posted by: Drew
Date: April 07, 2017 07:49AM
Night time here. I'm drinking now.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 07, 2017 08:08AM
While I was on parental leave, I once LOCKED MYSELF OUT OF THE APT. Spent about 45 min picking my way into my own apartment while my son napped on my jacket on a dirty floor. Got in. Got my keys.

Went to ikea.

Got to ikea in about 30 min, RETURNED AN ITEM AND BOUGHT A NEW ITEM in 15 minutes. 45 min from front door to shopping completed!

We took the train home. My son entertained strangers by dancing on our BL├ůMES since the baby bjorn put him at the right level for that.

---

Moral of the story - you can have a successful ikea trip but you should have a plan -

1. don't go on the weekends
2. didn't i just say don't go on the weekends?
3. DONT @#$%& GO ON THE WEEKENDS
4. know what you need there
4b. go through the store backwards.
5. Pick up some of their jam.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2017 09:31AM by mattkime.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 07, 2017 08:35AM
I would imagine that given the relative age of the inhabitants of this forum, most are not going to be used to a shopping experience such as Ikea.

For future reference, there is little reason to talk to anyone there. The bins are all marked on the product tags for the item, no need to wait in line to ask someone for the list of items, you can just make it yourself as you through. There are spec sheets for the more complicated furniture that have a list. There are kiosks in the self service area that will tell you if an item is in stock or not. Plus, they don't have back stock. If the bin is empty it isn't there, no point in asking anyone if there are more because there isn't. You can also check inventory online before you go, it is pretty accurate if you go in the morning when they open.

I personally enjoy it, although, as Matt said, not on the weekend. I'd rather find my own stuff than talk to a furniture salesperson. I leave traditional furniture stores wanting to kill the next person who asks how I am doing and letting me know that the prices on the tags are just a starting point.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: mspace
Date: April 07, 2017 08:52AM
I have always liked Ikea. Many times I have search everywhere else to solve a particular space/design issue and Ikea has had something to solve it. That said, I am well aware of materials used and do not place higher expectations on, for example, particleboard to wear like solid wood.

Having a plan and checking stock on the web site (or calling for that info) in advance is highly recommended.
Posted by: DP
Date: April 07, 2017 08:53AM
Wife loves IKEA. She can just spend a whole day there and their food items are very good. But, she is in the process of fixing up an older home in our town (with a small group of friends doing the same) and these houses need work. The kitchen has been neglected so she is designing it and will be making a trip to IKEA in the next few days. We also used IKEA cabinets in our cottage and another house we flipped (BTW, we're good flippers!).
So it will be an upgraded kitchen that looks good while not spending too much money. IKEA's hallmark.

Posted by: nwyaker
Date: April 07, 2017 08:54AM
As Matt said, NEVER on weekends.
Make list at home from website, check stock.
Plan your route with store map.
Take a break once there - use the furniture, i.e., flake out on chairs, couches, beds.
Posted by: Bixby
Date: April 07, 2017 09:28AM
If you don't like it, don't go or give them your money. Problem solved.
Date: April 07, 2017 09:31AM
OH I should add a rule -

5. Try their jam.

I'm serious about this. Its my favorite jam. Try the cloudberry. Have you even had cloudberries? I haven't aside from ikea jam form.

Their jam is a little more tart than most jams on US store shelves.

Its worth trying some of their other foods but their jam is a stand out.

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 07, 2017 09:49AM
I find their products to be ow quality. Their shelves and anything made of wood sags even with moderate use. You do get a workout walking in that massive building though.

Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: April 07, 2017 10:04AM
mattkime
OH I should add a rule -

5. Try their jam.

I'm serious about this. Its my favorite jam. Try the cloudberry. Have you even had cloudberries? I haven't aside from ikea jam form.

There's something better than Lingonberry? Cloudberry jam is now on my radar. This may even warrant a special trip to Ikea. (May not have to row today.)

thanks, Todd's fruity keyboard
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 07, 2017 10:31AM
mattkime
OH I should add a rule -

5. Try their jam.

...Lingonberry.....and their meatballs.....their cafeteria offers good food at moderate prices (they have deal meals).......and you can buy the meatballs frozen to take home.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: April 07, 2017 11:12AM
I like Ikea. Quality-wise, their products are a mixed bag so you need to be choosy. I bought my bathroom sink and faucet there and I love 'em. I also have a couple of their shelf units which have been great. They are designed so they don't sag. For kitchen and dining ware, and lighting Ikea is great. I appreciate their design philosphy which is not unlike that of the original Bauhaus.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 07, 2017 11:36AM
Why do you have to make a list of the parts you need to put something together?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 07, 2017 11:46AM
freeradical
Why do you have to make a list of the parts you need to put something together?

Because things like shelves or chairs come with different options for door styles, drawers, colors, pads, etc. You will have the part number for the main item and then a list of optional accessories.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 07, 2017 12:19PM
Ikea's quality varies based on price points. They have so much because of this. You want better quality, pay more. I love Ikea. I go just to eat sometimes. I always go through the returns where I often find deals.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: April 07, 2017 12:21PM
I do cabinets and silverware at Ikea..that's it..I go in there with a purpose and then bolt.
Date: April 07, 2017 12:24PM
Kraniac
I do cabinets and silverware at Ikea..that's it..I go in there with a purpose and then bolt.

But but but... Cinnamon roll for a dollar...
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 07, 2017 12:48PM
Overall been happy with our Ikea. We go a few times a year. It's on the way to my partner's relatives south of us, just 5 minutes or less off the freeway, so no big deal. Got the kids' beds there, some other furniture, random house furnishings, and their picture frames can be a great value. Can't beat the cost of their bulk tea lights.
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 07, 2017 01:11PM
mattkime

Moral of the story - you can have a successful ikea trip but you should have a plan -

1. don't go on the weekends
2. didn't i just say don't go on the weekends?
3. DONT @#$%& GO ON THE WEEKENDS
4. know what you need there
4b. go through the store backwards.
5. Pick up some of their jam.

This.
I love going to IKEA, and I love eating for cheap, usually the salmon, in the cafeteria, but as someone once said, DON'T F'ING GO ONTHE WEEKEND.
Also, use the inventory checker online, before you go, to see how many of the items you want are supposedly in stock. If they show only a few, be prepared with another choice or to be disappointed.

Also, look at the size of the boxes, they list that online, and make sure it will fit in your vehicle.

The $1 ice cream cone is also a winner, in the little snack area just outside the check out lanes.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2017 01:12PM by rgG.
Posted by: decay
Date: April 07, 2017 01:27PM
I like it. The kids are typically well behaved and usually dressed really cute. The food court is tasty and cheap. Free coffee for Ikea Family members like me.

We get white votive candles, among other things. Depends on the season. My favorite album rack, the Kallax, has come down in price, too.

Lines can get long, but it depends when you go. Parking is always full-ish, but I don't mind the walk.

---
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 07, 2017 04:53PM
No problem with ours, but 5 mintues away. Never have to park far away, we alasy park right up front.

Kids and I sometimes stop in just for ice cream or a hot dog, park in the loading area and walk in.

No problem with everythng else, but liek most things, you get what you pay for... =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 07, 2017 08:35PM
We like our MN IKEA store. I can imagine it's crazy busy during college season, but we avoid it then...
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 07, 2017 08:42PM
sekker
We like our MN IKEA store. I can imagine it's crazy busy during college season, but we avoid it then...

Oh, absolutely. The Seattle one is crazy in late August to late September. On the upside, lots of young ladies shopping. Just saying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2017 08:43PM by Racer X.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: April 07, 2017 09:06PM
I've never been to IKEA in America, just in Japan and Sweden. A good Swedish friend works at IKEA, so I am able to go to employees dining area, I love it! This friend's Dad told me this IKEA story: years ago, the founder called a staff meeting at a certain hotel in Sweden and noticed that there were a lot of rental cars in the parking lot. The founder got up and said, "Are there no bus services in this town? You must rent a car to come to the hotel?" A thrifty old boy.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: April 07, 2017 09:16PM
>>The founder got up and said, "Are there no bus services in this town? You must rent a car to come to the hotel?" A thrifty old boy.

heh, i like that guy!

Posted by: datbeme
Date: April 07, 2017 11:22PM
>>A good Swedish friend works at IKEA, so I am able to go to employees dining area, I love it!

I find this sentence fascinating. So many interpretations.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 08, 2017 12:04PM
Why do people lose their minds for Ikea? What is it about weekends there? The place is actually quite enjoyable on weekdays.

And the scratch and dent area has some great bargains.
Date: April 08, 2017 12:36PM
mrbigstuff
Why do people lose their minds for Ikea? What is it about weekends there? The place is actually quite enjoyable on weekdays.

And the scratch and dent area has some great bargains.

Ixnay on the Atcscray EntDay... I want it all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 297
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015