advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: Video of United Airlines violently removing & dragging passenger off overbooked flight
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 10, 2017 04:16PM
Yeah, the Chicago Police have been practicing that "He fell" line with a straight face for what, 100 years now?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Video of United Airlines violently removing & dragging passenger off overbooked flight
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 10, 2017 04:19PM
max
C(-)ris
gabester
C(-)ris
That is what happens when you don't listen to the captain, flight crew, or security. It really doesn't matter what the reason is that they ask you to do something. You comply or you are breaking the law and you will be forcibly removed. Same with police, blows my mind that people won't comply with instructions...

I think you're conflating two things in a way that makes me a little terrified but I'm not going to Godwin this. Instead I'll point out that passengers on an airline are consumers of a product - the expectation of transport at a designated time between two designated places. For the airline to seat passengers - effectively beginning the delivery of their service only to arbitrarily remove one or more paying customers to accommodate their own staff is preposterous. That man should have never been required to vacate his seat.

A few years ago airlines had such a chronic issue with stacking planes up on tarmacs effectively stranding passengers for hours that a passengers bill of rights was discussed.

But this is exactly why I fly as rarely as possible: the vulnerability to arbitrary authoritarian interruption of my travel plans and the potential for abuse of what should be an entirely civil travel experience.

I hope this guy gets a huge monetary award and doesn't suffer any long term consequences. I hope his patients in Louisville don't have adverse medical outcomes due to delay in their treatment.

Nope. You are wrong. The airline reserve the rights to move anyone off the plane for a variety of reasons, including overbooking as well as over weight(rarely happens). The why doesn't matter at all. All you need to know is that it in the contract terms and well within their rights. Don't like it? Don't fly. Another option would be to fly first class. They NEVER bump first class.

Overbooking happens, it is how you deal with it that makes the difference.
As space-time mentioned, all they had to do was to increase the incentive until enough people did volunteer.
It is not unprecedented, I have volunteered myself at $1200 and a later flight on a Delta deal. I still have vouchers off Southwest.

It is United's fault for screwing it 3 ways to Sunday.
And then doing it again.
But it is also typical of United.....

This^ This^ This^.

I have often suggested to my wife that we take the offered cash but she always refuses even though almost all our travel is for pleasure. I have never seen an airline go over $400 for a domestic flight before someone takes the money.

Twice I flew where it was virtually mandatory that I accompany my child. Once it was probably mandatory, not just virtually. She required daily peritoneal dialysis and I was her sole provider. If I had been chosen on one flight (to Phoenix), she could have received dialysis via a hospital ER. But the other trip was to Mexico City and it was mandatory that I accompany her. Of course, I'm certain the airline would have let both of us off because even now they will let anyone deplane before they close the hatch. And we carried onboard every thing she needed for 48 hours so they would not have even needed to unload our luggage. Had they not let her off with me, I would have been the one screaming and kicking as they dragged me off..

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 04:31PM by Speedy.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 10, 2017 04:44PM
I"m not going to engage with anyone individually anymore on this topic. If you disobey a legitimate order from a police officer, you're breaking the law. if you're "unruly" on a flight, you're violating a federal regulation (which may be breaking the law).

On a practical level, if you don't obey someone with more big guns than you have, you may get hurt. Then, the publicity may hurt them.

It's not clear to me that this passenger (a) was unruly, or (b) disobeyed a legitimate order.

The rest is froth. And, hopefully, very expensive froth for United.
Date: April 10, 2017 05:03PM
anonymouse1
I"m not going to engage with anyone individually anymore on this topic. If you disobey a legitimate order from a police officer, you're breaking the law. if you're "unruly" on a flight, you're violating a federal regulation (which may be breaking the law).

On a practical level, if you don't obey someone with more big guns than you have, you may get hurt. Then, the publicity may hurt them.

It's not clear to me that this passenger (a) was unruly, or (b) disobeyed a legitimate order.

The rest is froth. And, hopefully, very expensive froth for United.

Of course, you must obey the police. If the police are in the wrong, take it up later. But always obey a police order.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 10, 2017 05:08PM
"United refused to answer questions about the incident, which horrified other passengers on the Louisville-bound flight. An airline spokesman only apologized for the overbooked flight, and said police were called after a passenger “refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily.”

Absolutely untrue. There was no voluntarily about it. He was picked, and then ordered to leave. How is that voluntarily?

[www.washingtonpost.com]

[www.dictionary.com]

"done, made, brought about, undertaken, etc., of one's own accord or by free choice: "

There sure as heck was no choice or free will about any of this.
Date: April 10, 2017 05:12PM
Clearly you don't speak airline legalese.

Racer X
"United refused to answer questions about the incident, which horrified other passengers on the Louisville-bound flight. An airline spokesman only apologized for the overbooked flight, and said police were called after a passenger “refused to leave the aircraft voluntarily.”

Absolutely untrue. There was no voluntarily about it. He was picked, and then ordered to leave. How is that voluntarily?

[www.washingtonpost.com]

[www.dictionary.com]

"done, made, brought about, undertaken, etc., of one's own accord or by free choice: "

Posted by: GuyGene
Date: April 10, 2017 05:12PM
"United. You broke this customer's face.
You broke it, you should fix it.
You might as well admit it.
United breaks people's trust."

To above YouTube tune.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 10, 2017 05:48PM
C(-)ris
You might want to read up on your law. It is a federal crime to interfere with flight crew and you will be arrested, go to jail, or be fined. I'm not going to dig and find the actual statutes, but here is an aggregate.

[blogs.findlaw.com]

It's not clear that any of those laws apply to this situation, since the aircraft was not "In-Flight", and also it was a gate attendant, not the flight crew that was giving orders.

[www.justice.gov]

An aircraft is in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States only while the aircraft is "in flight."

An aircraft is "in flight" from the moment when all external doors are closed following embarkation until the moment when one such door is opened for disembarkation, or in the case of a forced landing, until competent authorities take responsibility for the aircraft. 49 U.S.C. § 46501(1).
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 10, 2017 06:08PM
The social media bad PR barrage is quite spectacular for this incident. United CEO says they were "re-accommodating" the passenger.

Someone posted this:

Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 10, 2017 06:18PM
Bottom line, because of a United employee's actions, a passenger was roughed up, to the benefit of other United employees.

I guess the customer had no value to them.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 10, 2017 06:54PM
Racer X

[www.washingtonpost.com]

[www.dictionary.com]

Voluntarily is:
Please sir, leave the plane now.
OK

Not voluntarily :
Please sir, leave the plane, you lost the lottery:
@#*@ you

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 07:07AM by mrp-admin.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 10, 2017 07:15PM
This just wasn't the right way to resolve this.

Posted by: maco
Date: April 10, 2017 07:16PM
United Airlines customer service training video.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 07:17PM by maco.
Date: April 10, 2017 07:22PM
maco

[youtu.be]

smiley-shocked003

Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: April 10, 2017 08:19PM
Speedy
maco

[youtu.be]

smiley-shocked003

Nah - this is their go-by. [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Wags
Date: April 10, 2017 08:58PM
Yes, we should all be good little sheep because some giant multinational corporation has a 50 page terms of service buried on their website that no one can or does read. Of course it will be backed up by the corporate shills we often erroneously refer to as our representatives. Just do as you're told, keep your head down, keep over-consuming the cheap third world crap they offer you, look the other way and be glad its not you, this time.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 10, 2017 10:25PM
It's not like the cops were gonna walk away saying "well, we tried."
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 10, 2017 10:35PM
No, it's not the cops fault- on the other hand, they could have reported back to whoever called them that the guy had a ticket, was boarded, wasn't drunk or disorderly, and verbally refused to be bumped for what sounded like a valid reason. "What do you want us to do, drag him off the plane kicking and screaming? You guys are gonna have to find a different solution"

Honestly, I think that would have been better.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: April 10, 2017 10:51PM
United finds a new way to make itself look awful, and then its CEO shows how to make things worse

[www.latimes.com]

Posted by: space-time
Date: April 10, 2017 10:51PM
pdq
No, it's not the cops fault- on the other hand, they could have reported back to whoever called them that the guy had a ticket, was boarded, wasn't drunk or disorderly, and verbally refused to be bumped for what sounded like a valid reason. "What do you want us to do, drag him off the plane kicking and screaming? You guys are gonna have to find a different solution"

10000% this
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: April 10, 2017 11:20PM
C(-)ris
Don't like it? Don't fly. Another option would be to fly first class. They NEVER bump first class.

That's literally true.

The CEO was interviewed on TV and he detailed their "computer" system for deciding which passengers lose their seats. He said they only eject those in the cheapest seats.

Date: April 10, 2017 11:33PM
space-time
pdq

10000% this

What if he still didn't want to go? They didn't call the police to continue to negotiate. They could have done that before. Arresting somebody that doesn't want to be arrested is never pretty. But in the end, to me, he was a victim of the airline's overbooking policy. A civil matter.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: April 11, 2017 06:43AM
vision63
Arresting somebody that doesn't want to be arrested is never pretty. But in the end, to me, he was a victim of the airline's overbooking policy. A civil matter.

Except that overbooking wasn't the problem. At the last minute, some United employees decided that they needed a lift and that's why the airline bumped passengers who were already seated.

The issue is one of inappropriate entitlement. Of all the common carriers, only airlines have a license to treat customers in this fashion. United has demonstrated that they do not have the ability to use it appropriately. They abused it. We have examples in the law with abuse of other entitlements such as patent-misuse. The penalty should be revocation of the license, that is, they should have civil and criminal liability for this assault.

(Also, the cop who bashed his face in should be disciplined and exposed to civil liability. That was way over the top. Excessive force is not excused by the victim's bad attitude.)

Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 11, 2017 07:06AM
what JoeH and others have noted, is the actual stream of events that I have read in multiple places.
which means United didn't over book, they neglected to plan for their own crew.

and if you're crew deadheading is more important than your paid clients, you have blown it.

I think United will suffer dearly for this. There should have been no call for law at all, but I'd bet Untied just said a passenger was unruly and wouldn't get off, and law never bothered to investigate for a moment.
So law is gonna look bad as well.

I'd be curious to know how the "concept" of the airline always being able to toss a paid client off a plane for another arose. If it were a doctor trying to get someplace, I'd think that would take precedence.

average pre-market right now is flat.

United down 2.5%. Way to go.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

The Howlin Souls - [goo.gl]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 11, 2017 07:08AM
>No, it's not the cops fault

only because of low expectations. good cops find a way to avoid using force.
Date: April 11, 2017 07:13AM
This is an upsetting event to all of us here at United,” he said. “I apologize for having to re-accommodate these customers,”

According to CNBC, Munoz followed up Monday evening with a letter to employees defending the airline’s ground staff and describing the still-unidentified passenger as “disruptive and belligerent.” He said the airline agents “were left with no choice but to call Chicago Aviation Security Officers to assist in removing the customer from the flight.”

He related that “after the flight was fully boarded,” gate agents “were approached by crewmembers that were told they needed to board the flight.” He's admitting by implication that the crewmembers heading to Louisville were late in arriving, that every passenger held a paid ticket and had been properly boarded, and that only belatedly did United decide to pull passengers off the plane to make room.

[www.latimes.com]

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: max
Date: April 11, 2017 08:17AM
China is a biiiig market for United and this video went over the top there.
They got the most flights from here to there and usually they are loaded with Chinese tourists.
China is brimming with outrage.
The lawsuit is nothing in comparison to loss of revenue the idiots on Chicago are going to pay.
The will also lower the fares to Asia to regain the traffic for a double whammy....
Date: April 11, 2017 08:23AM
I am seeing continuous shock and dismay about this incident on FB for another day. This thing has legs and I believe that it is not only due to the man getting bloodied but the built up feelings of people who have been mistreated by airlines. They kick people off after they have boarded to accommodate last second employes that are not part of the flight crew. That's just sheer laziness and bad planning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2017 08:25AM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 11, 2017 08:41AM
You can all spout whatever righteousness and justifications you like for this jackbooted thuggery, but Chinese people worldwide are going to vote with their wallets. And that means that United is fucked.

Way to go. Good job. Enjoy spouting your justifications while a major American carrier takes a major hit. Get ready for a lot of nationalism in Asian ticket purchasing in the coming months.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: April 11, 2017 08:53AM
rjmacs
You can all spout whatever righteousness and justifications you like for this jackbooted thuggery, but Chinese people worldwide are going to vote with their wallets. And that means that United is fucked.

Way to go. Good job. Enjoy spouting your justifications while a major American carrier takes a major hit. Get ready for a lot of nationalism in Asian ticket purchasing in the coming months.

It has already begin. People on CHinese Social media are ticked off. [shanghaiist.com]
Unlike here, China has many more airline choices so their chances in the Asian market are probably going to be impacted.

The incident has become the top trending topic on Weibo today with thousands of Chinese netizens calling for a boycott of United Airlines and taking the opportunity to bash the United States for its problems with racism and discrimination:
"This was not random, but racial discrimination. All Asian brothers should boycott this @#$%& company."
"They chose an Asian because they thought he would be meek and not stand up for his rights. We should show United how wrong they are!"
"This is how they treat their Asian passengers! I'm never flying United again!"
"For all you out there who love America's 'human rights,' see for yourselves what that means."
"This is your 'perfect America," in the eyes of Americans, Asians and blacks don't have human rights and don't deserve to be treated fairly."

"I'll tell you a joke: 'America is the world's leader in human rights.'"

China is a key international market for United. The company operates more nonstop US-China flights than any other airline, including flights to five Chinese cities.

These images are making the rounds in Asia:

Date: April 11, 2017 09:11AM

On second thought, it's imprudent to mention the possibility of race being a factor in this incident on this side of the forum.

rj
AKA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2017 09:15AM by rjmacs.
Re: United Airlines "Re-Accommodates" passenger by slamming his head against armrest & dragging him out to accommodate 4 late arrive employees
Date: April 11, 2017 09:12AM
Quick JAL,Delta and AA, raise your prices while the sheep are bleating, running from imaginary wolves.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: DP
Date: April 11, 2017 09:17AM
rjmacs

So that's how rjmacs got this past the censor! Actually, you see it when it's quoted in the message window.

Date: April 11, 2017 09:18AM
I have flown a bunch over the years for both business and leisure travel. Some years back my late wife worked for UAL. During the nine years that she worked there we traveled extensively using her fight benefits. That was back in the "good old days" when it was easier to fly standby and when UAL employees seemed to be happier and were more courteous.

I remember when I first sensed the change at UAL. The way that I described it at the time was as follows: "The purpose of this flight is to get the fight crew from point a to point b, you passengers should consider yourselves lucky that we let you come along for the ride."
Re: United Airlines "Re-Accommodates" passenger by slamming his head against armrest & dragging him out to accommodate 4 late arriving employees
Posted by: DP
Date: April 11, 2017 10:14AM
What is it, one hour flight from Chicago to Louisville? Get the people who they took off the plane onto taxis or Uber and drive them! Five hours and you get to sleep all the way...
I know, I know, but I might be amenable to that option. Or the airline pays for a rental car.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 11, 2017 10:51AM
DP
rjmacs

So that's how rjmacs got this past the censor! Actually, you see it when it's quoted in the message window.

I still don't see how he manages to drop the f bomb here on a regular basis.
Re: United Airlines "Re-Accommodates" passenger by slamming his head against armrest & dragging him out to accommodate 4 late arriving employees
Date: April 11, 2017 11:00AM
UAL Commercial
[youtu.be]
Date: April 11, 2017 11:40AM
freeradical

I still don't see how he manages to drop the f bomb here on a regular basis.

whats an f bomb?

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: numbered
Date: April 11, 2017 11:50AM
I am a little surprised at the notional support here for authoritarian-fu. Never question police? Really?

Certainly in a crisis situation, or an in-flight situation, I understand the need to salute airline staff. But at the gate?

Moreover, pointing to the fine print of a contract is fine....but the contract is a civil document. Using the police to enforce civil penalties requires a judge. (Imagine Comcrap sending the sheriff to enforce their contracts.) It becomes criminal if it involves the flight as part of FAA safety, but I would imagine the US Attorney would not want the case. (Imagine the jury.)

A brand management consultant said this:

“I think their CEO learned public relations from the Nazi party,” added Schiffer. “I think you will see an effect on sales for people that are disgusted by both the action and the Nazi party-like PR responses, and it’s catastrophic for a brand’s trust. United thinks they have monopoly and on paper they do, but what they fail to understand is that customers still have a choice and they will exercise it if they feel their safety is now at risk.”
Date: April 11, 2017 01:32PM
Onamuji
vision63
Arresting somebody that doesn't want to be arrested is never pretty. But in the end, to me, he was a victim of the airline's overbooking policy. A civil matter.

Except that overbooking wasn't the problem. At the last minute, some United employees decided that they needed a lift and that's why the airline bumped passengers who were already seated.

The issue is one of inappropriate entitlement. Of all the common carriers, only airlines have a license to treat customers in this fashion. United has demonstrated that they do not have the ability to use it appropriately. They abused it. We have examples in the law with abuse of other entitlements such as patent-misuse. The penalty should be revocation of the license, that is, they should have civil and criminal liability for this assault.

(Also, the cop who bashed his face in should be disciplined and exposed to civil liability. That was way over the top. Excessive force is not excused by the victim's bad attitude.)

I didn't go into "deeper" thoughts cuz this is the good side. Nobody wants to tolerate my rants.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 11, 2017 01:38PM
Hi everyone,

There may be more to this incident. Apparently, the doctor involved has some issues which may have contributed to how he handled the situation.

[www.tmz.com]

Robert
Date: April 11, 2017 02:04PM
United should have offered him money and SEX !
[www.tmz.com]

[soundcloud.com]
Date: April 11, 2017 02:27PM
Robert M
Hi everyone,

There may be more to this incident. Apparently, the doctor involved has some issues which may have contributed to how he handled the situation.

<link removed>

Robert

That, sir, is a classic example of an ad hominem attack, and is a logical fallacy beneath your intellect and your character. You're better than that. Aren't you?

rj
AKA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2017 02:28PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 11, 2017 03:07PM
United Apologizes for Removing Passenger: ‘No One Should Ever Be Mistreated This Way’
[www.nytimes.com]

Date: April 11, 2017 03:55PM
$tevie
United Apologizes for Removing Passenger: ‘No One Should Ever Be Mistreated This Way’
[www.nytimes.com]

Too late...
Just like when they broke the guys guitar.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: April 11, 2017 04:05PM
Yeah sure thing Robert M, because TMZ has a stellar record of factual reporting. sheesh.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Date: April 11, 2017 04:16PM
billb
United should have offered him money and SEX !
[www.tmz.com]

Ah. the ol' tear down the victim gaslighting to believe a victim deserved to be assaulted play. He may have a sordid past but nothing it the statements by the witnesses or video indicated he was violent or belligerent to the point where he deserved to have his face caved in by police when United should have handled it differently to begin with.

United has confirmed this by stating, "No One Should Ever Be Mistreated This Way". Those of you who are pro-corporate-authoritarian-beat-down-customers over a civil matter when it did not need to involve law enforcement can take that apology for what it is worth.

Let's humor you billb and go with your direction of corporate resolution. Offering him money and sex would have resolved the situation in a lot less violent manner than what transpired. Or simply, they should have offered everyone more money and someone would have taken the extra incentive. That is the free market at work. Calling police on a non-violent but stubborn man with a murky past is not grounds for police to do their dirty work is not a free market solution.

He committed crimes in the past and he paid for them with court issued punishments. He did his time for those crimes. He did not deserve to have his face smashed in.

I would hope that no one you love or care about, no matter their history, gets the harm you feel this man deserves.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 11, 2017 05:19PM
Rj,

Seriously? The doctor apparently has some issues. Why is it unreasonable to take them into consideration?

Robert
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 11, 2017 05:24PM
Those issues should not affect how he was treated. They should act based on his behaviour at the time of the incident. Whatever happened in the past is not relevant, and they had no way to know those past issues. I don't think they did a background check on him before removing him from the plane.
Date: April 11, 2017 05:42PM
"Oh, I see Mr. King has some previous arrests.... OK BOYS..GO TO WORK!" Whack! Whack! Whack! Whack! Whack!
Yeah, totally fine...

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 204
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015