advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $156.07 ( -2.66 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I want to break free [ a.k.a. free at last, free at last ]?!....Apple just made these free to all....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 19, 2017 10:01AM
.....iMovie, Numbers, Keynote, Pages, and GarageBand apps for both Mac and iOS devices.....used to be only if you bought a new device but you can now download for for free....

Apple Makes iMovie, GarageBand, and iWork Apps for Mac and iOS Free for All Users

.....Apple today updated several of its Mac and iOS apps, making them available for all Mac and iOS users for free.

iMovie, Numbers, Keynote, Pages, and GarageBand for both Mac and iOS devices have been updated and are now listed in the App Store for free.

Previously, all of these apps were provided for free to customers who purchased a new Mac or iOS device, but now that purchase is not required to get the software. Many Apple customers were already likely eligible to download the software at no cost if they had made a device purchase in the last few years.

Apple's iWork page has not yet been updated and continues to say that customers will only be able to download Pages, Keynote, and Numbers after purchasing an eligible Mac or iOS device, but new wording may be added shortly following the price drop. Apple's apps have also been removed from the Top Free app charts in the App Store.

Apple has been offering these apps for free to new Mac and iOS device owners since 2013, but dropping the price to free for all users makes it less confusing and opens up downloads for those who have not recently made a new device purchase.

free at last, free at last.........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
FYF! Apple Apps are FREE !!!! (Mac AND iOS)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 18, 2017 04:11PM
[www.macrumors.com]

iMovie, Numbers, Keynote, Pages, and GarageBand for both Mac and iOS devices have been updated and are now listed in the App Store for free.
Re: FYF! Apple Apps are FREE !!!! (Mac AND iOS)
Posted by: Z
Date: April 18, 2017 07:09PM
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 18, 2017 07:56PM
Z

I hope not. I just loaded up our institutions Volume purchase account with 1000 of each title. Don't want to miss out if it goes back to payed.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 18, 2017 08:54PM
C(-)ris
Z

I hope not. I just loaded up our institutions Volume purchase account with 1000 of each title. Don't want to miss out if it goes back to payed.

Gosh, with that sort of volume Apple should give you an additional discount.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Z
Date: April 19, 2017 09:35AM
Just thinking that they've done a good job obsfucating useful features as various program revisions have progressed...
Re: I want to break free [ a.k.a. free at last, free at last ]?!....Apple just made these free to all....
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 19, 2017 10:28AM
Yup, posted here yesterday.

Wait, that post is gone, Weird.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2017 10:31AM by Racer X.
Re: I want to break free [ a.k.a. free at last, free at last ]?!....Apple just made these free to all....
Posted by: mrp-admin
Date: April 19, 2017 10:36AM
Racer X
Yup, posted here yesterday.

Wait, that post is gone, Weird.

Merged threads.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 19, 2017 10:37AM
....oops, sorry for dupe post.....I could have change it.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 19, 2017 11:31AM
Free today, development stops tomorrow.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 19, 2017 11:35AM
Acer
Free today, development stops tomorrow.

yesterday.
Posted by: decay
Date: April 19, 2017 11:38AM
how about iDVD? smiley-laughing001

---
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 19, 2017 01:39PM
mrp-admin
Merged threads.
That is SO COOL !!!!! You rock !!!
Besides, Newt has better titles...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2017 01:40PM by cbelt3.
Posted by: BobC
Date: April 19, 2017 06:29PM
Argh. I currently have an unexpected need for Pages, to help an older relative with a manuscript she's writing in it. Dropping the price to free should be good news for me, except I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro that can't run 10.12, and the Mac App Store won't let me install its version of Pages unless I'm running 10.12.

For now, I'm dual booting into a clone of her 10.7 system so I can run her copy of Pages for my Sisyphean format-fixing mission. I sure wish there were an option to give you the latest version that *will* run on your OS, like iOS does.
Posted by: rz
Date: April 19, 2017 08:36PM
BobC
I sure wish there were an option to give you the latest version that *will* run on your OS, like iOS does.

Agreed. I can't use any of these because I'm still on Mavericks. I do have an older copy of all of them, but it would be nice to have the latest versions.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 19, 2017 08:38PM
BobC
Argh. I currently have an unexpected need for Pages, to help an older relative with a manuscript she's writing in it. Dropping the price to free should be good news for me, except I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro that can't run 10.12, and the Mac App Store won't let me install its version of Pages unless I'm running 10.12.

For now, I'm dual booting into a clone of her 10.7 system so I can run her copy of Pages for my Sisyphean format-fixing mission. I sure wish there were an option to give you the latest version that *will* run on your OS, like iOS does.

I run 10.9.5 and I got the option to download an older version

Posted by: clay
Date: April 19, 2017 08:48PM
space-time
BobC

I think you get that only if you've purchased/downloaded an older version in the past.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 19, 2017 08:51PM
space-time
BobC

There might be an additional twist to this, it might not let you make the initial "purchase" if the latest can't run, but once it's purchased, then it offers to let you download the older version. That's the way it seems to work on iOS and there the workaround it to "purchase" the app from within iTunes, and then go to the iOS device and download it from your list of purchased apps in the iOS app store over the air, and it will offer older versions if available.

If they follow the same model with Mac Apps, then "purchasing" it first from a system running the latest OS, and then trying to download from the purchase list on older rev OS after that.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 20, 2017 07:17AM
This may be the prelude to abandoning these apps...
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 20, 2017 08:18AM
There is no such thing as free. We have now lost our ability to pay by choice. Now, Apple and their magic business model of iCloud services pays for this support.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 147
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015