Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New button start cars IMO
Posted by: samintx
Date: April 19, 2017 10:36AM
I have a loaner Avalon with a button to start and stop the car. I'll vote for KEYS. I'll stick with 2003 technology on my SLK230. Just old fashioned I guess. I even like jacks for headphones on my Apple devicesemoticon_love
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New button start cars IMO
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 19, 2017 10:48AM
The convenience factor is great, just takes some getting used to.

My wife has had keyless/pushbutton since 2010 -- she loves it. She just throws the key in purse and forgets about it. Never has to touch it. Not to open doors, open the trunk or start the car. Never has to fumble around looking for it. Easy Peasy.

Avalon looks like a sweet cruiser. Get it up to about 75, set the cruise control, and take a nice trip. It will even slow down and speed up for you...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: 3d
Date: April 19, 2017 10:55AM
I went with the best of both worlds. Remote start on key fob AND a real push turn ignition key.
I would never get a key-fob/button-start only car again.
Posted by: clay
Date: April 19, 2017 10:58AM
I love the push button start on our prius. keyless entry, etc. It's fantastic and it hasn't given us any issues. It's a bit of a pain going back to the old car and having to remember to pull the keys out of my pocket before trying to get in the car.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: April 19, 2017 11:03AM
People always seem to say that when they have a rental. If you owned a car with a keyless fob for a month, I bet you would never want to go back to keys.

I can't wait until they shrink this into something you can just put in your wallet. One less thing to think about or carry.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: April 19, 2017 11:06AM
clay
I love the push button start on our prius. keyless entry, etc. It's fantastic and it hasn't given us any issues. It's a bit of a pain going back to the old car and having to remember to pull the keys out of my pocket before trying to get in the car.

agree smiley

Perhaps someone should conduct a poll. I least a Prius from 2010-15 and absolutely loved the pushbutton start/keyless entry. I replaced it with a Chevy Impala (I wanted a car with some "umph!"), but went cheap and did not get the push-button-start technology. I regret it enough that I've even considered replacing the car early just so that I don't have to fish in my pocket for that damn key.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2017 11:07AM by Billybob.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 19, 2017 11:14AM
I wish my new car had keyless start but I would have needed to bump up a trim level which would have likely cost $3k or so. I would have paid more, but not that much more.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 19, 2017 11:24AM
I have a fob but the ignition accepts the key inside the fob. That has saved me a few times when the fob battery drained down. I'll admit to loving keyless start, but I feel secure having the option.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Bernie
Date: April 19, 2017 11:24AM
My RAM Truck is keyless and push button start.
The shifter is a knob.
Can start with my iPhone.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: wave rider
Date: April 19, 2017 11:26AM
Keyless entry and push button starting are OK. But...

I still have not figured a way to make the fob work when I go surfing. I have a spare key on a string around my neck under the wersuit when I go surfing using my truck, works great. The Altima fob is not waterproof...

Still looking for a solution.

=wr=
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 19, 2017 11:29AM
Love it.

I recently rented a Chevy Malibu that would stop the engine at red lights and would start automatically as soon as you released the brake pedal. it probably saved a little bit of gas at the expense of wear and tear on starter and battery. I saw a similar one in Germany, a Diesel Renault with manual tranny, it would stop the engive if you came to a stop and put it in Neutral. It would start as soon as you pushed the clutch.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: April 19, 2017 11:29AM
My dad had a Corvette about a dozen years ago with that feature -- as he approached the car, it would unlock, he could tap the trunk (such that it was) to open it, and of course the pushbutton start. I really liked it; a nice feature.

Some of the convenience features these days are not well thought out. For instance, my wife's Subaru Forester will delay a few seconds before reacting to a push-button to open the tailgate door, but pressing close will close it immediately. That seems counter to what it should be, IMO.

I also wish every vehicle that required physical keys had the option to have a key fob (alarm/key) like my old VW New Beetle had -- the key was sort of like a switchblade. Made pocket-carrying all the nicer.

I'm assuming at some point we'll have the (wider) option for iOS apps for auto entry and monitoring (fluid levels, maintenance reminders, etc.), and remote starting, turning on the A/C or heater, etc. My son is dead set against this, as he sees it as just another opportunity for someone to look beyond the Jetsons-future/utopia element and turn it into an opportunity for vandalism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2017 11:43AM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: MacJeepster
Date: April 19, 2017 11:37AM
I love the push-button start on our new car, but the feature is nothing new. The Model T had one when Ford did away with the crank and added a starter

-mj
Posted by: davester
Date: April 19, 2017 11:51AM
The biggest issue I have with all these remote/key systems is bulkiness and lack of water resistance. When I used to windsurf a lot my car key went in a small pocket in my life preserver. Can't do that now.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 19, 2017 12:02PM
I don't mind the push button start. I would prefer a slot to insert the fob so that the engine is forced off when it's removed.

I despise the rotating knob shifter in the RAM trucks. I never know when it has finished shifting.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 19, 2017 12:26PM
Zoidberg

Some of the convenience features these days are not well thought out. For instance, my wife's Subaru Forester will delay a few seconds before reacting to a push-button to open the tailgate door, but pressing close will close it immediately. That seems counter to what it should be, IMO.

I'm convinced that Subaru doesn't have anyone on their staff that actually uses their products in real life. They have so many oddities in their features that are completely counter intuitive to how anyone would want them.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: billb
Date: April 19, 2017 12:31PM
samintx
I have a loaner Avalon with a button to start and stop the car. I'll vote for KEYS. I'll stick with 2003 technology on my SLK230. Just old fashioned I guess. I even like jacks for headphones on my Apple devicesemoticon_love

I will pray for you and hope the agonizing suffering ends soon.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: April 19, 2017 12:39PM
Wifes mazda fob has a real "key" inside of it. Has a little tab to remove it, and then you can use it like a regular key. Ignition column has a cover to remove and its got a traditional key slot.

----

Posted by: rgG
Date: April 19, 2017 01:49PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I don't mind the push button start. I would prefer a slot to insert the fob so that the engine is forced off when it's removed.

This is the way my husband's Audi is. You still have to press buttons on the fob to lock unlock, but to start the car you shove the fob into a slot on the dash and that starts the car, no turning. When you pull the fob out, the engine stops.

My MIL had a Lexus with the fob and push button. Two bad things, if you valet at a restaurant it is very easy to forget to give the valet the fob. Ask me how many times that happened. Second issue is that the car runs so quiet and you get used to not having to use a key, it is easy to get out and just leave it running, yes, she did that also.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: April 19, 2017 01:50PM
wave rider
Keyless entry and push button starting are OK. But...

I still have not figured a way to make the fob work when I go surfing. I have a spare key on a string around my neck under the wersuit when I go surfing using my truck, works great. The Altima fob is not waterproof...

Still looking for a solution.

agree smiley

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Date: April 19, 2017 02:39PM
rgG
My MIL had a Lexus with the fob and push button. Two bad things, if you valet at a restaurant it is very easy to forget to give the valet the fob. Ask me how many times that happened.

Valet? smiley-excited001

wifes key with key removed

----

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 19, 2017 03:14PM
davester
The biggest issue I have with all these remote/key systems is bulkiness and lack of water resistance. When I used to windsurf a lot my car key went in a small pocket in my life preserver. Can't do that now.
EMI shielded bag for the fob, emergency entry key in your pocket. EMI bag goes in the car as you depart.

OR... a mini dry bag for your fob, cellphone, etc..
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 19, 2017 04:28PM
Otter Box dude. Been in use for protecting stuff in the water since at least 1998.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2017 04:31PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: April 19, 2017 04:36PM
Below is the Tesla Model S "Key" FOB. No button pushes needed to unlock car and drive away.

With it in my pocket, as I walk up to the car-The door handle resent themselves. With the Model X the door open themselves.
Once in the car, just shift to Drive or reverse-there is no start button.
I can even "Summon" the car to enter or exit a tight parking spot or garage from outside the car.

The only bad thing, when I rent a regular car---it is easy to walk away with the car still running. I haven't done it yet-almost, but on the forums, many people have forgotten, only to come back hours later, with the motor still running.

Date: April 19, 2017 05:18PM
When I walk away from my Prius, it beeps when it is powered on. Pretty sure it powers down by itself after a while. It should also shut off when the key fob is no longer sensed, with a delay, of course. That's the anti-theft aspect.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 19, 2017 07:01PM
I thought for sure that someone here would have mentioned this by now...

"Security researchers I spoke with said that most cars with a keyless entry system can be hacked."

"He explained it like this: In a normal scenario, when you walk up to a car with a keyless entry and try the door handle, the car wirelessly calls out for your key so you don’t have to press any buttons to get inside. If the key calls back, the door unlocks. But the keyless system is capable of searching for a key only within a couple of feet.

Mr. Danev said that when the teenage girl turned on her device, it amplified the distance that the car can search, which then allowed my car to talk to my key, which happened to be sitting about 50 feet away, on the kitchen counter. And just like that, open sesame."

[mobile.nytimes.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 19, 2017 08:15PM
3d
I would never get a key-fob/button-start only car again.

Why?

It is what it is.
Date: April 19, 2017 08:21PM
Another benefit of keyless fobs: It is impossible to accidentally lock one in the trunk. Ask me how I know.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 19, 2017 10:23PM
The first time I read about push button start, I thought this is a big step backward. Insert key in ignition on steering column, turn key to 'On', then reach over and push the button to engage the starter. It wasn't until I saw a car with push button start that I learned that you leave the key in your pocket. I like it.

For waterproofing your fob, how about vacuum shrink wrapping it at your Office Max, Depot, Kinkos, Staples? Double or triple shrink wrap it for more confidence.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2017 10:25PM by Speedy.
Date: April 19, 2017 11:13PM
double or triple zip loc bags. DONE.

Unless you are scuba diving, should survive 6' inside a protected pocket or pouch.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 19, 2017 11:35PM
Personally, I'd like to go back to the old hand-cranking method, at least as an option. I've been stranded enough times due to bad batteries and bad starters. I can't imagine it would be easy to turn over a modern engine, though. Too bad.

I think we're making use of technology before the bugs have been worked out. Hackable cars? Boo!
Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 20, 2017 03:04AM
I have no issues with keyless entry/ignition. On my RAV4, the locked door opens when I pull on the handle. The system is also smart enough to not start the car when someone else is in the drivers seat, with me standing 2 feet from the open drivers door. I can turn on the radio only, by just pressing the start button without pressing the brake.

As for water resistance of a key fob - that's an issue that's been around for more than 15 years. You should get a water proof case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 03:06AM by Forrest.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: April 20, 2017 07:25AM
OK, so I'm out of step with the "modern world", but i'm Old School and want a key instead of a push button. In fact, with my recent car purchase that was one of the deciding factors. Now if I could have gotten a key that wasn't the size of a toaster with the added space for a key fob (that has nothing in it), I'd have been even happier.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 20, 2017 07:34AM
i have a couple of waterproof phone wallets that would work well for protecting a key fob. like this - [www.trekbikes.com]

pm me if you'd like one. too small for my 7 plus

Date: April 20, 2017 07:57AM
billb
samintx

I will pray for you and hope the agonizing suffering ends soon.

Thanks billboard it may.... end soon....I'm 85!
Date: April 20, 2017 08:01AM
jdc
The convenience factor is great, just takes some getting used to.

My wife has had keyless/pushbutton since 2010 -- she loves it. She just throws the key in purse and forgets about it. Never has to touch it. Not to open doors, open the trunk or start the car. Never has to fumble around looking for it. Easy Peasy.

Avalon looks like a sweet cruiser. Get it up to about 75, set the cruise control, and take a nice trip. It will even slow down and speed up for you...

The gear shift the worst IMO. Did like the seat elevation tho. I'll still keep my silk 239 kompressor
Posted by: davester
Date: April 20, 2017 09:24AM
Racer X
Otter Box dude. Been in use for protecting stuff in the water since at least 1998.

You're kidding, right? Those things are way to bulky to carry on a windsurfer or surfboard. Also, since you can't put them in a pocket or otherwise attach to your person the risk is too great of losing one in the water.

Some of the ziplock type solutions might be OK, though I think they'd all have a nonzero failure rate under the physical abuse they might take during a wipeout (ie. where you get body-slammed into the board or water.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 09:29AM by davester.
Date: April 20, 2017 09:39AM
davester
Racer X

You're kidding, right? Those things are way to bulky to carry on a windsurfer or surfboard. Also, since you can't put them in a pocket or otherwise attach to your person the risk is too great of losing one in the water.

Some of the ziplock type solutions might be OK, though I think they'd all have a nonzero failure rate under the physical abuse they might take during a wipeout (ie. where you get body-slammed into the board or water.

Bury it in the sand and mark the spot with a couple of coconuts thumbs up
Date: April 20, 2017 10:00AM
With the popularity of pushbutton starts on cars, I wonder why similar tech hasn't gone mainstream with house keys and unlocking the front door with a single push of a button.
Date: April 20, 2017 12:47PM
3d
davester
Racer X

Bury it in the sand and mark the spot with a couple of coconuts thumbs up

I concur.

It is what it is.
Date: April 20, 2017 12:48PM
3d
With the popularity of pushbutton starts on cars, I wonder why similar tech hasn't gone mainstream with house keys and unlocking the front door with a single push of a button.

We're beginning to see locks that can be controlled via smartphone.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: April 24, 2017 06:26PM
The big advantage of the pushbutton is the inability to lock your key (really, my wife's key) in the car. Has saved me some money already.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015