Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.78 ( +1.04 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Epoxy Coat Garage Floor?
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: April 19, 2017 11:26AM
Buying a new house, first home ownership experience for me! Close this Friday! Can't wait to get my Macs moved in there! :-)

Debating whether to epoxy coat the garage floor. It a good size garage, 20'x24'... Will likely have one car in it less than half of the time. Anticipate doing projects out there, gym set, TV, storage, etc... In places I have rented in the past with respect to garage, I usually threw a large carpet remnant down which was nice to make the space usable for non-car usage.

A few of the other home owners are epoxy coating their garage floors. Was wondering if any of you have done it? If so, like it? Benefits?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Epoxy Coat Garage Floor?
Posted by: 3d
Date: April 19, 2017 11:37AM
Definitely! Do it now while the garage is still empty. It'll take about a week to fully cure.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 19, 2017 11:53AM
Don't ignore the lip of the slab up to the sill plate.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: April 19, 2017 12:12PM
about a week to cure? so, need to keep stuff of it until cured, I assume - or, at least heavy stuff?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2017 12:19PM by SKYLANE.
Date: April 19, 2017 12:25PM
SKYLANE
about a week to cure? so, need to keep stuff of it until cured, I assume - or, at least heavy stuff?

I'm sure different formulations have different cure times. But hey, if you're gonna drop $2000 (pro install) on epoxy flooring, I'd wait a few extra days past just to be safe to take into account weather, humidity, etc. I'm jealous!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 19, 2017 12:27PM
Make sure that the slab is sealed. I'd be tempted to wait a year before I did it to make sure that moisture doesn't ever seep up from below. I was going to coat my garage floor, but I have a lot of moisture that comes up and would make the coating peel.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: April 19, 2017 12:36PM
What Chris said.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 19, 2017 12:39PM
On op of what Chris said, you mentioned this is a new house. Do you mean new in the just built sense? If so, I have seen recommendations that epoxy coating should wait a year or more to allow the concrete to fully cure first.
Date: April 19, 2017 12:51PM
Unless the garage is below grade I would not worry too much about water seeping up above grade. I would be much more concerned about epoxy coating a basement.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 19, 2017 02:52PM
This sounds like a lot of money for questionable benefit. Unless you're planning on spilling lots of staining chemicals on it, what is the purpose. With a new home I'd think you'd have better things to spend money on.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: April 19, 2017 04:07PM
I was torn between epoxy and Plastic Tiles. I wanted it installed quickly, so I opted for the plastic tiles
I like it is better than the epoxy floor I had at my last house. It is softer to walk on. The only downside ir that is a little bit loud when you walk across the tiles. It stand up to wear very well.
If I was to do it again--I would choose tile, but either works well.

My cost for the tiles and edging was $1092 for 420 Sq Ft
Yours is 48 Sq ft and the prices are a little more now. It was $68/box of 30 Sq Ft when I did mine.

Amazon-Plastic tiles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2017 04:16PM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 19, 2017 10:49PM
If it's new, the cement will take some time to leech out all the moisture as others wrote. I like the plastic floor idea a lot. Add long as you don't spill anything through it, you could always return toi the idea
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 292
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015