advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.61 ( -0.26 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
last week in nyc and my family has the flu (part of the 'how do i leave nyc?' series)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 20, 2017 07:52AM
Well, I'm pretty sure I have the flu as chills have come and gone over the past few days. The little one was the first to fall ill which didn't seem too bad but quickly became an ear infection. He's doing better today but yesterday he was in a lot of pain. My wife has a low level something and has been doing shorter days at work. My wife and the little fly out saturday at noon. Hopefully they're feeling better. Movers show up Monday, I fly out tuesday.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: last week in nyc and my family has the flu (part of the 'how do i leave nyc?' series)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 20, 2017 07:58AM
Ooh.. little dude flying with plugged up ears will be painful. Good luck !
Re: last week in nyc and my family has the flu (part of the 'how do i leave nyc?' series)
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: April 20, 2017 08:04AM
mattkime
My wife has a low level something and has been doing shorter days at work. My wife and the little fly out saturday at noon. Hopefully they're feeling better. Movers show up Monday, I fly out tuesday.

People should not fly when they have nasty contagious diseases. Locked up like that together, you're giving your plague to everyone onboard.

I picked up an awful upper-respiratory bug when I flew last week. Had to miss a couple of days' work and lost valuable and much-limited vacation days to it.

Still hacking up gunk from my lungs.

I blame you.

Date: April 20, 2017 08:06AM
correlation != causation

>I blame you.

I'm setting up a gofundme for our flight change fees. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 08:13AM by mattkime.
Posted by: 3d
Date: April 20, 2017 08:11AM
Although there is no cure for the flu there is cough suppressants. It's not for your benefit. It's for the benefit of others. Disgusting sick people on flights should take note.
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 20, 2017 08:15AM
Ignore the grumpies here, hope you and your family feel better soon!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 20, 2017 08:36AM
Matt,

Onamuji is spot-on. Don't travel on an airplane (train or bus for that matter!) if you've got a contagious illness. Based on your post, it definitely sounds like your entire family has a one. Seriously consider rescheduling your travel dates. Don't do it for yourself. Do it for the other travelers. An airline may let you change the day and time of your flight, though there will definitely be a fee for it.

I still have very unpleasant memories of developing a severe case of bronchitis on my honeymoon in Italy. I got exposed on a bus trip to and from Pompeii at the tail end of the trip. I wasn't feel great on the flight home but I thought it was just fatigue from the trip. I became horribly ill within a day of getting home. To say it was unpleasant is an understatement. I was out of work for a week and it took months for me to recover.

i know I got exposed on the bus because a person on it had the exact symptoms I developed when I got home. Once I realized what happened, I was pissed!

Robert
Date: April 20, 2017 09:01AM
alright, thanks for the lectures.
Date: April 20, 2017 09:11AM
Your kid will be strapped into a flying petri dish. Is he/she up to date on vaccinations?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 20, 2017 09:58AM
Easy Peasey...

Have the fam wear surgical masks. Guaranteed to freak everyone out. But won't spread coughy germy germs. Bet it gets you upgraded to first class ! Or kept from flying without getting charged ticket change fees..

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 20, 2017 11:44AM
Saying not to fly is easy if you can afford to lose the cost of the tickets. I still recall watching a woman take an obviously contagious child with chicken pox onto a plane. She was apologizing to everyone saying the airline wouldn't allow any changes to her tickets. Other passengers where trying to get off the flight because of the kid and couldn't.

Seems like a waiting lawsuit.

"The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing" -- Socrates
“I’m, like, a really smart person.” -- Donald Trump
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 20, 2017 11:56AM
Matt,

What did you expect people to say when you posted about getting ready to travel with what sounds like a contagious bug? After what I experienced after my honeymoon, believe you me, I felt the responses were quite reasonable. Truth to say, my original response was pretty harsh and I edited it multiple times to tone it back before hitting the post button.

Robert
Posted by: flareslow
Date: April 20, 2017 12:19PM
Matt,

Back in my Navy days, I had a passenger who flew with a cold/sinus infection and apparently no meds. He developed a sinus block and during the descent the cabin pressure changes cause him intense pain. We had no choice but to land, because of fuel considerations, and he was removed from the plane by medics on a stretcher.

Don't fly with a cold! Risk of sinus damage from pressurization changes is too great.

Mike
Date: April 20, 2017 12:31PM
If I was on your flight, you would be putting me, my wife and — most importantly — my young children, in danger. The flu directly kills 10,000+ people a year. This is not a time for hurt feelings. Frankly, I'm surprised you and your wife did not get flu shots to protect your newborn. Although it's not 100% effective it's worth it. If you did get flu shots and still got the flu, nevermind.

My family and I were on a 5 hour flight last Sunday. Full flight. The person sitting 3 ft away from me was coughing, sneezing, and sniffing the entire flight. I chose to sit the closest to him, then my wife, then my children. I felt bad for the person sitting next to me, who was directly next to him. She zipped up her jacket all the way up and buried her face down for the entire flight because of him.
Date: April 20, 2017 12:49PM
its as though we have the flu because we failed biology. thanks for explaining it all.
Date: April 20, 2017 12:52PM
> Although it's not 100% effective it's worth it.

We're evidence that its not 100% effective. All of us get the flu shot every year.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 20, 2017 01:11PM
Lots of assumptions here.

First, is it actually the flu? A doctor's checkup can rule that in or out, there are a bunch of other illnesses with similar symptoms.

Second, will you still be contagious at the time of the flight? Just because someone is coughing, wheezing, etc. does not necessarily mean they are contagious, or even the source of that bug you caught on a trip. Just as likely is catching it from someone with no visible symptoms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 01:28PM by JoeH.
Date: April 20, 2017 01:15PM
>>First, is it actually the flu?

I'm not certain, but I had chills and was achy over about 3 days.
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 20, 2017 01:24PM
Hope you all get better quickly

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 20, 2017 03:29PM
Fried cheese curds, bloody marys that include an entire mini-appetizer-tray-on-a-skewer, and beer - lots of beer - will cheer you up.

We'll have them waiting for you in Madison.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 20, 2017 03:37PM
It's that dang 'ol NY! You were wise to leave. big grin smiley

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 20, 2017 03:58PM
mattkime
> Although it's not 100% effective it's worth it.

We're evidence that its not 100% effective. All of us get the flu shot every year.

Then your cases will be less severe and shorter in duration.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: max
Date: April 20, 2017 06:17PM
mattkime
>>First, is it actually the flu?

I'm not certain, but I had chills and was achy over about 3 days.

Black plague?......
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 21, 2017 01:50AM
3d
Although there is no cure for the flu there is cough suppressants. It's not for your benefit. It's for the benefit of others. Disgusting sick people on flights should take note.

Much like anti-virus software on a Mac.
Posted by: abevilac
Date: April 21, 2017 08:21AM
Please take decongestants before flights and also nasal spray. Time the decongestant so that it is in full force for the descent. Use the spray, at 30 mins and again at 15 mins before touchdown. I learned this the hard way.

Congrats on the move and all the best to you and your family.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 220
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015