The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.64 ( +0.90 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Allan Holdsworth moves on
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 20, 2017 09:13AM
[www.npr.org]

I don't know a lot of his work, mostly Gong and Soft Machine. But certainly one of guitars more unusual marksmen.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

The Howlin Souls - [goo.gl]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Allan Holdsworth moves on
Posted by: mstudio
Date: April 20, 2017 09:25AM
RIP, Allan. What a nice, positive obit.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: April 20, 2017 12:24PM
True gentleman and committed musician..A guitar player/composer friend of mine who has worked with him numerous times over the years and counts him as a good friend..I called him immediately after hearing about Alan's passing, and my friend said of him...'One of the most talented, thoughtful and smart dudes with hands of gold and a finger reach that I have aspired to for 40 years.. but I could never &%^&%$'n get close to what's available to him on a fingerboard"

He told me that the last time he saw him..at a small bar/music club here in Chicago, not so long ago..They hung around for a bit after the show..and my friend then helped him and his band carry their own equipment out to the van and helped them load the trailer they were pulling behind the van...and he said he realized in that moment how much this guy just loved playing..older, seasoned, world class musician..driving from gig to gig with his band members..in a van like a bunch of kids on their first road trip.

That's true artist stuff..Sort of makes you think, right?

I've seen him in various rigs over the years but the pinnacle for me was when i was in college at University of Illinois and sat right in from of him during a UK show..my buddy and i were both speechless over what this guy was doing..those hands and that brain...total magic.

..very sad.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 20, 2017 05:33PM
He died??? damn...

I was just thinking of catching up with his career - I lost track in the early 90s.

I got a couple of stories...

One... Frank Zappa interview. I've heard them all, seen them all read them all - Frank is great interviewee, but he was an @#$%&. if he didn't like your line of questioning, he'd try to make you MISERABLE.

Once, guy was trying to get his opinion of various guitarists, but his syntax was annoying! Instead of literally asking what he thought of their playing, he literally asked what he thought about them personally, so that's how Z answered even though he knew that commenting on their guitar playing is what was being asked of him.

Hendrix - 'I knew jimi... that was a guy who took too many drugs'
Steve Howe - 'never met him'
Van Helen - 'yeah, I know him - he hangs out with my kid - another guy who shouldnt take some many drugs'

etc... "ok... moving on... what do you thi-"

Then Franks says, 'But I can tell you about one guy who is a phenomenal guitarist - Allan Holdsworth.'

"um... who"

and I was thrilled! YEAH FRANK!!

Second story - probably more interesting... I saw Holdsworth 2x at a tiny run down former gay bar that got burn downed so many times, they gave up on the gay bar and it morphed into a little music venue. LITTLE - it was a bar with a dance floor.

I was literally sitting on the front of the stage at both shows watching this amazing band - Chad Wackerman on drums btw (holy @#$%&!)

Right next to me at one of these shows was a local musician - a very talented guitar/keyboard guy. He had a note pad out and was writing down every bit of equipment and every setting on ever piece as was set for every song. After the intermission, Holdsworth comes back on stage and kinds points at the guy...

'Taking notes are ya?' The guy smiles - everyone giggles a little.

'Put it away' - confused looks all around

Then in a stern voice - 'PUT THE NOTEPAD AWAY'

The guy was shattered - here was one of his heroes on stage admonishing him.

Damn... i really like Holdsworth... gonna miss him... time to check out what he's been doing the last 15 years.

I remember taking Sand into my record store to play for the owner. He loved it. "That's a guitar I tell him"... 'no way!'

This track still floors me:[www.youtube.com]

[edit[ i din;t even know he was in Soft Machine & Gong - two bands that I've only heard a little of. I discovered him in Bill Bruford's band. If not for the liner notes in the days of old, I never would have found his solo stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 05:39PM by hal.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 20, 2017 05:37PM
I wrote my post before reading yours - yeah... that makes me think. Many times I thought, 'gee I've seen this guy TWICE at this little hole', but I never thought about the van and the trailer and the next gig... I really appreciate it now that I think of it.

Nice post - thanks for it

Kraniac
True gentleman and committed musician..A guitar player/composer friend of mine who has worked with him numerous times over the years and counts him as a good friend..I called him immediately after hearing about Alan's passing, and my friend said of him...'One of the most talented, thoughtful and smart dudes with hands of gold and a finger reach that I have aspired to for 40 years.. but I could never &%^&%$'n get close to what's available to him on a fingerboard"

He told me that the last time he saw him..at a small bar/music club here in Chicago, not so long ago..They hung around for a bit after the show..and my friend then helped him and his band carry their own equipment out to the van and helped them load the trailer they were pulling behind the van...and he said he realized in that moment how much this guy just loved playing..older, seasoned, world class musician..driving from gig to gig with his band members..in a van like a bunch of kids on their first road trip.

That's true artist stuff..Sort of makes you think, right?

I've seen him in various rigs over the years but the pinnacle for me was when i was in college at University of Illinois and sat right in from of him during a UK show..my buddy and i were both speechless over what this guy was doing..those hands and that brain...total magic.

..very sad.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 20, 2017 05:54PM
Espresso I and II are two good Holdsworth versions of the band. With other musical notes, so to speak, about them both. I lost track of them in the mid 70's after they swung too progressive for my simple non-smoked head.
A lot of other kooks from Canterbury involved in Gong and Soft. Including a guitarist what later got picked up by the Police. And some other kid that played with the Stones a while.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

The Howlin Souls - [goo.gl]
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: April 21, 2017 09:51AM
The Hand
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 303
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015