advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $143.64 ( +1.37 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do You Like Vintage Maps? How About "Land Of Hiawatha"?
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 20, 2017 03:12PM
As some of you already know, I've been keeping a close lookout for my "final" retirement home to buy in the Upper Peninsula of MI. I love it when doing a search and stumble upon something cool that I wasn't looking for.

Here's a colorful, vintage 1935 map, and a website that allows users to zoom in and out on different sections of the map. The pics on the map by themselves are worth the price of admission! :-)

[www.davidrumsey.com]-

BTW, anyone have links to similar sites?

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 03:13PM by Rick-o.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do You Like Vintage Maps? How About "Land Of Hiawatha"?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 20, 2017 03:24PM
[www.oldmapsonline.org]

I was actually looking for a map of the Hamptons out to Riverhead that my grandparents had up on their wall. It was from a late 19th century real estate advertisement, which encouraged New Yorkers to buy a small plot (5 acres) out on 'farm country' where they could take the train out, tend their farmlet, and bring their vegetables home for 'healthier living'.
Date: April 20, 2017 03:38PM
Nice link, cbelt3! thumbs up

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: DP
Date: April 20, 2017 05:01PM
No, Rick-o! You're already Up North! Unless you're buying that lodge near Ironwood somebody posted about that's really cheap for what you get... Like fifteen feet of snow every Winter and Summer is July.

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 20, 2017 05:18PM
"The lake they call Gitche Gumee"

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 05:19PM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: April 20, 2017 09:02PM
Ricko, I reckon Michigan is home state, eh? I'd love to visit U.P. from all I've read about it over the years, but in summer! I don't think my old bones can take the cold.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 20, 2017 09:53PM
I think I also posted the Rumsey link, quite a while back: it's an amazing site.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 21, 2017 01:19AM
Ever since your link to that Ironwood property a few weeks back, I get real estate spam daily from upper penn area.
Date: April 21, 2017 03:53PM
DP
No, Rick-o! You're already Up North! Unless you're buying that lodge near Ironwood somebody posted about that's really cheap for what you get... Like fifteen feet of snow every Winter and Summer is July.

No worries! I plan on being a 3 season Michigander when I fully retire. Winter won't be one of them! big grin smiley

Besides, If I DO hang around for Winter, I'll just step outside after a storm, beat my chest, and LAUGH at what Mother Nature has wrought.

- Mr. Spock

- Walter Reuther
Date: April 21, 2017 04:01PM
GuyGene
Ricko, I reckon Michigan is home state, eh? I'd love to visit U.P. from all I've read about it over the years, but in summer! I don't think my old bones can take the cold.

Yessir, my home state.

Definitely explore the U.P. and hit up the Keweenaw peninsula if you can. It's a short ferry ride from there to Isle Royale, and that place is fantastic! But yeah, Summertime! big grin smiley

- Mr. Spock

- Walter Reuther
Date: April 21, 2017 04:02PM
ka jowct
I think I also posted the Rumsey link, quite a while back: it's an amazing site.

I thought I may have seen this page before. Wasn't sure if it was here, though.

Maybe it was you!

- Mr. Spock

- Walter Reuther
Date: April 21, 2017 04:03PM
Racer X
Ever since your link to that Ironwood property a few weeks back, I get real estate spam daily from upper penn area.

Not getting that here. But hey, if you see some fantastic deals, let me know!

- Mr. Spock

- Walter Reuther
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 279
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015