advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cheap *AC powered* Bluetooth Speaker?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 28, 2017 07:35PM
I'm looking for a small AC POWERED (no goram batteries!!!) Bluetooth speaker for the kitchen, to put streaming podcasts on... doesn't have to be super great fidelity, just a little louder and clearer than my iPads built in speaker.

Anyone have one they like and recommend that isn't overly spendy? (The closer to $20-30 the better..).

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cheap *AC powered* Bluetooth Speaker?
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: April 28, 2017 07:53PM
If you're at all handy, make a set.

Take a pair of bookshelf speakers (spares? thrift store?), a Bluetooth Amplifier, a power adapter, and a case. I've purchased that particular amp, but there's many alternatives that are even cheaper, also some options include a case. You could even put the amp inside one of the speakers if you can manage the wiring.
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 28, 2017 08:19PM
They are all rechargeable, no batteries needed.

Even the $4 ones I got for my kids go 6 hours. They have a USB cable to charge, or use powered, plug into a iphone type power cube.

[www.amazon.com]

just get whatever looks nice. like this, just stand it in the corner, behind the ipad

[www.amazon.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: April 28, 2017 08:27PM
The Grim Ninja

Take a pair of bookshelf speakers (spares? thrift store?), a Bluetooth Amplifier, a power adapter, and a case. I've purchased that particular amp, but there's many alternatives that are even cheaper, also some options include a case. You could even put the amp inside one of the speakers if you can manage the wiring.

Hmmm... I'm liking this idea! I'm currently short on 'spare parts' like speakers... but I may be able to scrounge up a set!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: April 28, 2017 08:32PM
Yeah, point is, I neither need nor want one recharrgable - having a battery in it is a complete waste. If thats the only way, so be it, but if there is one that doesn't have to have the wasted efficiency of converting A/C to 5v, when just Ac would do, that would be better.

jdc
They are all rechargeable, no batteries needed.

Even the $4 ones I got for my kids go 6 hours. They have a USB cable to charge, or use powered, plug into a iphone type power cube.

[www.amazon.com]

just get whatever looks nice. like this, just stand it in the corner, behind the ipad

[www.amazon.com]

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: April 28, 2017 08:36PM
Paul F.
The Grim Ninja

Hmmm... I'm liking this idea! I'm currently short on 'spare parts' like speakers... but I may be able to scrounge up a set!

I'm currently finishing up a set of speakers, entirely from scratch. Well, I picked out each driver, laid out & soldered the crossover, built the boxes by hand.. all around the amp I linked. If you have modest goals, it will really impress you. Make sure you get a beefy power brick if you want high volumes. Although the amp has many buttons, you don't *need* access to any of them as all controls can be handled on your phone/device. I'm just shoving the amp inside one of the speakers, though I've designed buttons into it for power and volume.
Date: April 28, 2017 08:38PM
jdc
They are all rechargeable...

Not entirely true.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 28, 2017 08:49PM
I have the Monster iClarityHD Precision Micro Bluetooth Speaker which meets your budget. It does have a battery or you can plug it into a usb adapter. It's crap for music but great for podcasts. [www.amazon.com]
Date: April 28, 2017 09:35PM
The Grim Ninja
Paul F.
The Grim Ninja

I'm currently finishing up a set of speakers, entirely from scratch. Well, I picked out each driver, laid out & soldered the crossover, built the boxes by hand.. all around the amp I linked. If you have modest goals, it will really impress you. Make sure you get a beefy power brick if you want high volumes. Although the amp has many buttons, you don't *need* access to any of them as all controls can be handled on your phone/device. I'm just shoving the amp inside one of the speakers, though I've designed buttons into it for power and volume.

That settles it... I'm hitting the pawn and thrift stores this weekend for a "low mileage" set of speakers, lol... this idea is growing on me... even if I might have to buy a new soldering iron (I moved, and still can't find a lot of stuff!).

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: April 28, 2017 09:44PM
The Grim Ninja
jdc

Not entirely true.

If I don't end up making one, THAT is exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks again, Grim!

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 28, 2017 11:29PM
Go to parts-express.com and see all the stuff they have. You can also call them for advice. Google images of "diy Bluetooth speakers" for ideas. Make sure the ohms of the speakers match the amp.
Date: April 29, 2017 01:14AM
The Grim Ninja
jdc

Not entirely true.

Ok, so theres one out there ;)

A set of thrift store speakers would be the *last* thing my wife would let me put in the kitchen.

Not sure why a corded only unit. Get one with a battery and take it anywhere. Then its not stuck in the kitchen. garage, backyard, den, in the car, wherever...

----

Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 29, 2017 04:46AM
Plenty of Bluetooth speakers at fivebelow for $5 fivebelow
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 29, 2017 07:22AM
Paul,

It seems the Creative speaker needs a power cable that connects it to the mains. Not sure how that translates to ac powered. Personally, I think you're making this search unnecessarily difficult. There are a zillion speakers in that price range or less that have a rechargeable battery _and_ can be a/c powered and you can do it easily.

Just buy a Bluetooth speaker. Get a power strip or multiplug with a USB port or two built into it for an outlet or USB charging station for the outlet. I bet you even have one handy. If not, they're not expensive at all and worth having around in any event. Run a cable from the power strip or charging station to the speaker. Now you've got a Bluetooth speaker that is AC powered. Done.

We have a charging station set up in our kitchen for multiple iOS devices and USB devices including a Bluetooth speaker. Three wires go from a power strip, looped around hooks on the wall, ends left on countertop. Connect device to charge it. Works great. Very handy.

We have a rechargeable Bluetooth speaker in Baby M's room. I used a long microusb cable to connect it to a USB port on a USB enabled multiplug in one of the wall outlets. Ran a cable from ipod to speaker (since it's a model without bluetooth). Ran charging cable from the iPod to the power strip. instant music system for her. Works beautifully!

Seriously. Don't make this unnecessarily difficult for yourself.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2017 07:32AM by Robert M.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: April 29, 2017 07:33AM
Look for an older set of computer speakers that have a 1/8" mini audio plug. Plug them into one of these:

a.zon

When you want better sound, upgrade the speakers to something like these:
a.zon

Minimal effort. No batteries.
Date: April 29, 2017 01:28PM
flareslow
When you want better sound, upgrade the speakers to something like these:
Minimal effort. No batteries.

Yeah, but who woould want a giant pair or bookshelf speakers in the kitchen? =)

----

Posted by: space-time
Date: April 29, 2017 04:28PM
Forget Bluetooth. Get an Airplay speaker. About several years ago BestBuy had those Pioneer A1 speakers on sale for $40. One of the best deals I ever found at BB.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: April 30, 2017 05:40PM
jdc
Yeah, but who woould want a giant pair or bookshelf speakers in the kitchen? =)

8.4" x 5.7" x 7.4" each isn't that big. They would fit under a cabinet, or could be hung there.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 30, 2017 07:26PM
Flare,

Still big and, I'll also say, expensive. A simple bluetooth speaker combined with a cable and power source like I described in my post will do the job nicely. . Definitely perfect for a kitchen. Speaker. AC powered via a USB cable to a power source. Done.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 263
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015