advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What do we like in propane BBQs?
Posted by: Buck
Date: May 03, 2017 12:42PM
I'm looking to spend no more than about $200. It will be outside for the summer season, and in the shed off season. It doesn't have to be full size, but I'm not against it either.

On the cheaper end, I could go with the $99 table top unit at Costco.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2017 12:54PM by Buck.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What do like in propane BBQs?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 03, 2017 12:55PM
Buck,

IF I were in the market, I'd buy a model from Weber. My family has tried other brands over the years but when it comes to quality, performance and durability, Weber grills are the best. Not cheap. Definitely more than $200 but worth the money. My parent's last Weber lasted more than 15 years and believe you me, it was used and abused and survived being outside under a nice grill cover during the winter here in NY. They just replaced it with another Weber Genesis. Great grills! Expensive but great!

Here's a link to recommendations from Consumersearch:

[www.consumersearch.com]

And from amazon:

[www.amazon.com]

The Q1000 looks pretty cool if small, lower cost and portable are important!

[www.amazon.com]

Robert
Re: What do like in propane BBQs?
Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: May 03, 2017 12:57PM
Lowe's has this one on sale for 25% off. We just picked one up for my son and I think we paid about $220.00. We've had a 3 burner Char-Broil for over 10 years and still going strong.

[www.amazon.com]
Re: What do we like in propane BBQs?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 03, 2017 01:01PM
I only get about 3 years out of the cheap BBQ Pro or other off brand models that cost around $200. They usually rust to pieces and it isn't cost effective to order parts for them.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 03, 2017 01:26PM
I prefer pork in my propane BBQ.
Posted by: Cary
Date: May 03, 2017 01:54PM
I agree with Robert - Weber is the way to go. I had a Genesis for over 10 years, graduated to a Summit (found a deal on CL), and sold the Genesis for 3/4 of what I paid for it.

They are not cheap, but work great, last a long time, and customer service is exemplary.

Cary

By the way, the Summit is around 10 years old, now, and still chugging along, always outside, through Long Island winters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2017 01:56PM by Cary.
Posted by: Microman
Date: May 03, 2017 02:13PM
Fathers day coming up, I am sure Home Depot will have their $199.00 5 burner Dynaglow on sale for $159 from $199.00
Posted by: artie67
Date: May 03, 2017 02:54PM
Here's a propane portable that has the highest (79) score of all types listed in the current Consumers Reports. That's 5 pages of the current issue.

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 03, 2017 03:11PM
I was looking last year and was considering the Member's Mark from Sams Club. It was rebranded from Nexgrill. I also was looking at used Weber's on Craigslist. A Weber in decent shape will be better than anything else. In Weber, try to get above the Spirit line, that's made in China.

I ended up with a Ducane that a local place was closing out (going out of business sale).

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 03, 2017 03:15PM
Artie,

Great for a portable but there are medium size models that are on just about the same level. FWIW, it's highest by a single point. Seems like on Consumer's listing, most any model with a rating of 70+ will probably be fine. 'course, there are some key differences between a standard grill and a portable like the Blue Rhino. Such is the nature of a portable versus a standard grill, even a small one.

Robert
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: May 03, 2017 03:33PM
We don't. We like real charcoal grills, using the chimney starter thingamajigs to get it started. Love it! And we only get the real wood charcoal, not compressed sawdust mess.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 03, 2017 03:47PM
Find a used Weber on CL. Clean it, buy parts, fix it up. It will last forever. Burners usually rust out and people toss 'em.

Or wait until after the father's day sales, and beat out the trash pickers in the upscale neighborhoods and get one for free.

I have a cast aluminum grill that my neighbor pitched because the cast iron burner rusted away. I bought a new burner, and it's been great. My daughter has a heavy steel Sears grill a neighbor tossed for the same reason. New burner, poof. Works great.
Date: May 03, 2017 04:47PM
Yup. Last 3 grills have been freebies. New burners or grates as needed. My current one has a slide out bottom, which is exactly the size of a 3/4 sheet pan. Getting a stainless sheet pan when I need a replacement.

Well, one I paid $20 for, but only because it had a full new tank with it. Bought the propane, got a free new tank and grill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2017 04:50PM by Racer X.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: May 03, 2017 05:54PM
cbelt3
Find a used Weber on CL. Clean it, buy parts, fix it up. It will last forever. Burners usually rust out and people toss 'em.

Or wait until after the father's day sales, and beat out the trash pickers in the upscale neighborhoods and get one for free.

I have a cast aluminum grill that my neighbor pitched because the cast iron burner rusted away. I bought a new burner, and it's been great. My daughter has a heavy steel Sears grill a neighbor tossed for the same reason. New burner, poof. Works great.

Knowing what I know now about Webers, I second this. I just started looking to make the move to propane last year. I got lucky and came across a slickdeal where I was able to get a Weber two-burner for $200. I think they're normally $399 and NEVER go on sale. Whenever I'm cooking for more than just my family of five, I kind of wish I had a three burner, but that only happens a couple times a year. When I need more surface area, I just get out the old trusty Weber kettle for extra space.

If I had to shop for a propane grill now, I'd wait for a deal on a used Weber three-burner and fix it up.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: May 03, 2017 06:00PM
I agree, Weber is the class of the field. Other companies make good grills, but I feel Weber is just a little bit better, overall.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: jh
Date: May 03, 2017 06:02PM
Microman
Fathers day coming up, I am sure Home Depot will have their $199.00 5 burner Dynaglow on sale for $159 from $199.00

Currently on sale at HD for $179.00.
Date: May 03, 2017 06:25PM
Hey, you know Weber kettles look pretty much like hollow metal spheres? Originally, they WERE. Weber was making steel marine navigation buoys, and I think some employees started to experiment, and the Weber kettle was born. Also popular are old school thick metal 30 and 55 gallon barrels, massive clay planters and beer kegs. Old steel lined fridges and freezers make GREAT smokers.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: May 03, 2017 07:12PM
This may be an unusual suggestion, but have you considered a Weber? winking smiley

While I don't care for what they've done with the Genesis II line, they're probably still one of the better options on the market, and you won't be asking this question again in a few years.

Another option in American-assembled* grills are the Broil King/Huntington models. They're nicer than the typical junk, albeit not as nice as the Webers, but at least it's easier to find discounts on them as they don't keep tight control over MAP like Weber does.

To me, the optimum would be an old Genesis on closeout. The new ones show obvious signs of cost cutting, and the equivalents to the old ones have been moved to a more costly LX tier.

* Assembled in the U.S., but with foreign componentry. Not even Weber is immune from this.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 03, 2017 10:47PM
My dad bought parts for his 20yr old Weber to the tune of about$60 or$70, but it's working great now.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 04, 2017 03:46PM
I will second the Char-Broil TRU Infrared if you can get it for about $200. It does cook great.

But that same $200 spent on a craigslist Weber is better long term investment, even if you have replace burners/grates soon. And Weber is great at parts service when ordered direct. Do watch for rusted frames/cabinets however.
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: May 05, 2017 11:33AM
I'll jump on the Weber bandwagon as well. I had a Genesis 1000 (red enamel and wood tables) that I picked up at the Goodwill outlet about 10 years ago for $20. Bought new burners and stainless flavorizor bars and ran it until last fall when I came across a Genesis Silver (green enamel and poly tables) with a Weber branded cover in outstanding condition for $25 (Goodwill outlet again) and could not pass it up. They are built like tanks, parts are easily found and they cook really well.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 167
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018