advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Another "Is it worth anything?" question
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 04, 2017 07:29PM
I'm continuing to go through crap stuff for a yard sale in less than a month. I have a couple of external hard drives in cases (I think one is a 400GB and the other is 600GB). I know I'd want to totally wipe them first, but do you realistically thing they'd be worth a few bucks to anybody? The enclosures are firewire and USB and the drives are 3.5" 7200rpm. Would I be better off trashing the drives and just selling the enclosures? Or vice-versa?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another "Is it worth anything?" question
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 04, 2017 07:41PM
Yes, they would still be of some use. I still use a couple USB/Firewire drives of 250 and 500 GB at times.

If someone wants to swap out the drive, they could do so after purchasing just as well.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 04, 2017 07:56PM
I couldn't find it in a couple of searches but someone mentioned selling older working drives to companies like DriveSavers.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: BernDog
Date: May 04, 2017 08:17PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I couldn't find it in a couple of searches but someone mentioned selling older working drives to companies like DriveSavers.

Someone mentioned selling them on eBay by fully showing every detail (model, serial, mfg date, lot number, etc), and speculated that drive rescue companies may bite if they need that exact drive. Worth a shot. Some old drives seem to go for a nice price. Sounds like a definite YMMV, but you don't know if you don't try.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 04, 2017 08:29PM
[forums.macresource.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: artie67
Date: May 05, 2017 12:52AM
Post here or on LowEndMac. I've never had a problem with LEM. Well, except nobody want my stuff.
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 05, 2017 01:03PM
Thanks, all. Now I have to see if I really want to wipe what's on them. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 260
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018