advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Forgotten story of the Radium girls
Posted by: Pam
Date: May 06, 2017 01:46PM
Tough to read. Their fight helped to lead to safety reforms for workers.

[www.buzzfeed.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Forgotten story of the Radium girls
Posted by: polychrome
Date: May 06, 2017 02:05PM
A good and informative piece, thanks for sharing.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 06, 2017 02:18PM
How horrible that they had to suffer like that, and how despicable for the management of the companies to try to cover it up. Thanks for sharing.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 06, 2017 04:22PM
I know I needn't point out the obvious moral of this story. Because if I did, the thread would get kicked to the other side. But you guys are smart.

Posted by: GuyGene
Date: May 06, 2017 05:05PM
Oh me, that was terrible. I never heard of this either.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: artie67
Date: May 06, 2017 05:09PM
Recent book by Kate Moore-The Radium Girls has brought interest to the subject. Here's a link for some more interesting radium products of the past.

[www.messynessychic.com]
Posted by: Pam
Date: May 06, 2017 05:21PM
artie67
Recent book by Kate Moore-The Radium Girls has brought interest to the subject. Here's a link for some more interesting radium products of the past.

[www.messynessychic.com]

Just wow.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 06, 2017 05:24PM
Scary stuff for sure.

I've worked in factories that dated back to the beginning of the auto manufacturing industry. I've often wondered what I, and others in similar workplaces have been exposed to over the years.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 06, 2017 05:32PM
I had read about this years ago, but that had not included details on individuals affected by the exposure. It was part of a work on important past cases of intentional exposure of workers to dangerous substances and how that led to laws and regulations protecting workers.
Posted by: MysteryGuest
Date: May 06, 2017 07:50PM
I saw a long story on this book this week on Jezebel, didn't know it had also been covered on Buzzfeed. Not sure I can take more details.

Strangely enough, I've know about this in rough outline since high school in the 60s, when a teacher warned us against the bad habit of pointing paintbrushes in our mouths
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 06, 2017 08:11PM
MysteryGuest
Strangely enough, I've know about this in rough outline since high school in the 60s, when a teacher warned us against the bad habit of pointing paintbrushes in our mouths

I heard about it in high school also, but that was in the 70's.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 06, 2017 08:48PM
$tevie
I know I needn't point out the obvious moral of this story. Because if I did, the thread would get kicked to the other side. But you guys are smart.

Yes, I had the same thought. bomb smiley

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Posted by: hal
Date: May 06, 2017 09:18PM
I swear that every 5 years I read a story called the Forgotten Radium Girls and they always are sure to point out that some of the girls would put the brush in their mouth to make the point extra sharp.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 06, 2017 11:27PM
$tevie
Hats off to everyone for very carefully dancing around a political topic so as to avoid having it kicked over to the ALL DONALD ALL THE TIME side of the forum

smiley-laughing001
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 07, 2017 11:14AM
artie67

[www.messynessychic.com]

That is who wrote the article to which OP linked.

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 07, 2017 11:23AM
hal
I swear that every 5 years I read a story called the Forgotten Radium Girls and they always are sure to point out that some of the girls would put the brush in their mouth to make the point extra sharp.

That's because that was the very action that caused the girls to ingest the radium.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: May 07, 2017 07:36PM
A partial screenshot from a Life Magazine article

Bryan
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 08, 2017 03:19PM
hal

That's because they were shown how to do it that way by their employer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 163
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018