advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Joe Paterno's son elected to Penn State Board of Trustees
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 09, 2017 06:50PM
Looks like the good ol' days for the Paterno family are back.

[www.espn.com]

Former Penn State assistant coach Jay Paterno, the son of longtime Nittany Lions football coach Joe Paterno, was elected to the university's board of trustees on Friday.

Jay Paterno, who coached at Penn State from 1995 to 2011 and played quarterback there from 1986 to 1990, received the most votes among three alumni trustees elected to three-year terms. There are nine alumni among the 36 voting trustees.

"Between my mom and dad and my family, we've been connected with Penn State for more than a century, when you add up all the years we've given there," Paterno told ESPN on Friday. "We feel very strongly about the university and what it can be. There are some challenges at Penn State and in higher education around the country, and I thought it was time for me to get involved."

Starting in July, Paterno will have a seat on the Penn State board that fired his father on Nov. 9, 2011, hours after Joe Paterno announced he would retire at the end of his 46th season coaching the Nittany Lions.

The board fired Joe Paterno and then-university president Graham Spanier amid growing outrage over the school's handling of sexual abuse allegations against former Penn State assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.

The Paterno family has disputed Joe Paterno's knowledge of the Sandusky allegations and condemned the findings of the Freeh report, a university-sanctioned investigation by former FBI director Louis Freeh concluding that the late Penn State coach concealed knowledge of Sandusky molesting young boys.

Sandusky was convicted of molesting several boys during a 15-year period and was sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison in October 2012.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Joe Paterno's son elected to Penn State Board of Trustees
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 09, 2017 07:27PM
regardless of how many years, if i were him I would never want my name back there -- tons of bad juju.

Maybe the need to make a fourth movie/

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2017 07:29PM by jdc.
Posted by: davester
Date: May 09, 2017 11:01PM
What the #$##$!% is wrong with those people. They need to flush the memory of that episode completely out of their culture.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 10, 2017 08:08AM
davester
What the #$##$!% is wrong with those people. They need to flush the memory of that episode completely out of their culture.

The culture never changed, just the players.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: May 10, 2017 08:44AM
Are you saying that the sins of the father should be visited upon the son, and somehow prevent him from serving an institution he loves?
Posted by: billb
Date: May 10, 2017 09:16AM
Yes, rewrite history, live in a fantasy world where it never happened, make believe it never happened and toss good talent and expertise to the wayside just to live in that land of make-believe.
Next you'll be censoring speech in Universities.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 10, 2017 09:23AM
Mr Downtown
Are you saying that the sins of the father should be visited upon the son, and somehow prevent him from serving an institution he loves?

The son worked as a coach for 16 years during the same period as the offenses, as part of the coaching staff he had the same chances to be aware of the issue as his father and the rest of the staff. So not just sins of the father, but his association with the rest as well. Pretty much the entire staff should have no further service at Penn State or any other school.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 10, 2017 10:19AM
Why is everyone so down on Joe? I get that he failed to continue to elevate the awareness of the child molestation situation when he became aware of it, but with his nearly dying breath he said he regretted that and wished he could change that. He did report it to his superiors. They're the ones that failed in that system. Could/should Joe have continued talking about it when he suspected that nothing had been done by his superiors? Possibly, but since he'd reported it to his superiors, and it happened during an event that wasn't part of the PSU football program, he wasn't directly involved nor was he responsible beyond reporting it to his superiors. The incidents happened during football camps sponsored by the atheletic dept. He wasn't privy to the results of what happened after he reported it. The perpetrator was not representing the PSU football program at the time. His superiors are legally obligated to keep that information private until such time that the perpetrator is arrested/fired. Joe didn't molest anyone that I'm aware of. In all of the management training that I've had, they drill into my head that privacy and confidentiality are paramount. Publicly stating anything derogatory or defamatory is a firing offense in most organizations. I get that the molestation was a HORRIBLE event. And I get that there were lots of shady, downright illegal, reactions to it when it came to light. But I don't get the animosity leveled at Joe. The guy is a legend at Penn State more for what he did off the field than for what he did on it. I believe that he is still one of the largest private financial donors to the school. He and his family are a cornerstone of what Penn State is. He refused to use players who were stupid. He didn't have elaborate programs to get around NCAA regulations to buy cars and hookers and such for his players. At least, not that I'm aware of. He'd bench players for academic deficiency and made sure that his players graduated with a useful degree. He believed football was a means to an education for his scholarship players and he took that seriously.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 10, 2017 11:51AM
One event happened during that "camp", but there are a number of other incidences that Paterno was or should have been aware of, including while Sandusky was still coaching under Joe Paterno. From the investigation over 20 incidents while still a Penn State employee before his retirement.

The charges against Sandusky at trial only included ones from the '90's onwards, but there was evidence he started back in the '70's. He started his Second Mile organization under which he was gaining access to youths in 1977. All of that time he was a part of the coaching staff. Previous incidents had been reported to Paterno according to a number of persons.

So there is a reason a good bit of distrust and anger is pointed towards Paterno. For all of the good he may have done, and may have been a bit better at dealing with the athletes, but ultimately there is evidence he put the program ahead of common decency and the law.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 10, 2017 01:48PM
Mr Downtown

The son has been fighting and will likely continue to fight to restore his father's standing at the University. There is ample evidence from court documents that Joe knew what was going on and looked the other way several times. Imagine if an eyewitness came to you and reported seeing a child being raped by Sandusky. Would you simply be happy with telling the school admins and not following up? Why did Joe not ban Sandusky and his charity(path to raping children) from affiliating with PSU? College football coaches in that era and those types of college towns are GODS. Joe could have done something but didn't.

No doubt they will haul that statue back out soon and hope everyone forget about all the raped children that happened under their watch.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: vision63
Date: May 11, 2017 10:21AM
They're not going to ever stop liking Joe Paterno. He's a legend. Did people stop liking George Washington once they realized he owned lots of slaves? Are they changing streets and place names. No.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018