Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $150.39 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I hate this: shopping for a new mattress
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 10, 2017 11:43AM
our mattress is 16 year old, Englander brand IIRC, and we need a new bed, so the plan is to get a new mattress for us and move this one to a spare bedroom which we don't use very often. Then #1 son also said he wants a new mattress (twin). he wants one a little softer than what he has now. And "less bumpy". I guess he wants a more smooth surface.

it's been a long time since I bought a bed/mattress so I don't recall. do you pay the price tag, or you negotiate with the sales person, like you do with cars? also i would like something made in USA, I don't feel comfortable breathing outgassing fumes from some Made in China mattress. Any brands you can recommend? Honestly, if I could find a new identical mattress with the Englander that I have now, I would buy it. Wife wants something a little softer if possible, but that's not a deal breaker. I prefer something more firm, less back pain IMHO.

I would like to spend about 2k for Queen mattress and box spring, and maybe $500 for a twin mattress, no box spring needed there.

Any opinions? I think Memorial Day sales are going on now, or coming up soon, so it's probably a good time to buy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I hate this: shopping for a new mattress
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 10, 2017 12:11PM
i think Consumer Reports likes the offerings from Casper (online company), Costco, and the Original Mattress Factory the latter of which may not have stores in your area. even if you don't totally trust CR, i'd give their reports a looksee as a frame of reference.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 10, 2017 12:20PM
You need to listen to this podcast. It goes in depth about the mattress industry and what you might expect to pay for a quality mattress - [gimletmedia.com]

i'm going to listen to it as well because we'll need a new mattress soon.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 10, 2017 12:20PM
Space,

Search for my threads about mattresses and platform beds. Definitely worthwhile reading. Gotta say the metal platform bed has proven awesome! By far one of the best investments we've made when it comes to home furnishings.

Here are two recent threads:

<[forums.macresource.com];

<[forums.macresource.com];

I should also point out ignore any claims by a store or salesperson that they'll price match the same mattress sold at a different store. It's ballshit! BullXXX so deep that it reaches your testicles. Each store/chain of stores sells near identical mattress under a different name. It makes price matching impossible. And the business is incredibly sleazy and slimy in my experience.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 12:26PM by Robert M.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 10, 2017 12:21PM
I'd look at sleeplikethedead.com.

I got mine from bedinabox.com. Very happy with them.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 10, 2017 12:26PM
I got the same metal platform based on Robert M's suggestion -- been great.

It looks lightweight and like it won't hold up, but after 2 years it is still in great shape.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 10, 2017 12:32PM
We've just gone to a storefront that sells mattresses made locally and lied down until we found the firmness we wanted. Paid sticker price, but these local sources are not expensive.

There's a lot of useless over-engineering in mattresses, IMHO. Specific medical needs is another story, of course.

Pro tip: Get a double-sided mattress and flip/turn it occasionally. It's amazing how it resets the feel.
Posted by: 3d
Date: May 10, 2017 12:55PM
I'm all for researching online and buying online but wife won't have it. She wants to lie on it and buy from local b/m store. I guess we're buying local. Next mattress will def be coil mattress with foam topper. Have had a Tempurpedic for 10 years. Whenever we go to a hotel with coil/foam mattress I go into coma sleep. LOVE IT. And on a sidenote, I never liked the sinking during extra-curricular activities. It throws all the alignments out of position if you know what I'm saying...
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 10, 2017 01:11PM
3D, wife is the same way. We ended up at a local Mathis Brothers. They make their own brand, very competitive and great pricing. We ended up buying a model that was going to be discontinued, so they were heavily discounted to get rid of them. They were the higher end line that didn't require flipping.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: May 10, 2017 01:18PM
TIL I can type batshit in the forum but not bull @#$%&. Thanks, Robert!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 01:18PM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: May 10, 2017 01:22PM
I know what you mean, space, it's hard shopping for mattress! We also need something, badly need. I've been reading about those frames that don't require a box spring for mattress, so will probably get both at same time. I tested out a Sleep Number® anwhile back in store, when it got to firmest position, I said, "Wha', it won't get any firmer?" I think it made sales lady feel a bit bad. I moved it up to 100, firmest setting, but still to soft for my bad back.

Still searching... I said in last mattress thread that I like what Marriot hotels use, somebody posted amazon link that supposedly has them. But I also like to lay on it to see for myself.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: davester
Date: May 10, 2017 01:24PM
3d
And on a sidenote, I never liked the sinking during extra-curricular activities. It throws all the alignments out of position if you know what I'm saying...

I think you're talking about intra-curricular activities. Extra-curricular activities would be conducted in a sleazy motel room.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 10, 2017 01:42PM
I hate it too. We're in the market right now to replace ours. Seriously considering foam from a foam shop. They have a range of firmness. About $300 for a queen.

Posted by: billb
Date: May 10, 2017 01:56PM
[www.thefoamfactory.com]

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: tenders
Date: May 10, 2017 01:58PM
Let me tell you some things that have taken me twenty years to learn.

Mattresses are infrequently-purchased, somewhat expensive, mass market items traditionally sold by commissioned salespeople who do not rely on repeat business. If you want to be a mattress salesperson, you can learn how to differentiate every single product in the store in 90 minutes. They make money by closing people who walk into their store, not by referral: so beware, they will say and do anything to get you to buy one of their mattresses then. Their store knows everything there is to know about the true quality, price, and margin of their mattresses within the entire mattress industry. The buyer, on the other hand, knows and can know almost none of this information.

This attracts a lot of people with closing skills but who cannot - for various reasons, most unsavory - hold down a job selling higher-margin stuff to the general public in more comfortable surroundings (ie clothing, electronics, cars, insurance).

The conclusion: GO TO COSTCO, BUY THE PROPER SIZE MATTRESS, TRUST THEM TO HAVE MADE A PRETTY GOOD DEAL, AND RETURN IF YOU REALLY HATE IT.

(We've never returned one.)
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 10, 2017 02:10PM
GuyGene, a friend of mine has a bad back and likes an extremely hard bed. He ended up with a sheet of plywood and a piece of carpet remnant on top of it. He loved it. I'm not suggesting you do this but it is an amusing story.
Posted by: numbered
Date: May 10, 2017 02:45PM
lost in space
Seriously considering foam from a foam shop. They have a range of firmness

This.

I have been amazed at how well a foam mattress performs. High quality foam lasts a long time (compared to the springs in today's mattresses, and for that matter the foam in cheap furniture.)

And the foam stores can concoct any recipe for firmness you want. They can glue it, or you can just start with super firm base and then experiment.

And my SO could choose a different firmness.

This is essentially what the internet mattresses are offering (since the foam can be folded for shipping.)

We found a local foam wholesaler (instead of a "shop") and while we waited they turned out a half dozen mattresses for various customers.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 10, 2017 02:49PM
billb
[www.thefoamfactory.com]

Have you slept on a foam slab from them? I almost bought one and am still considering it.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 10, 2017 03:03PM
We just got one from Casper, and it's great. Highly recommend. Will do again for our next mattresses.
Date: May 10, 2017 03:15PM
davemachine, I understand! I'm about the same way, firm mattress is good for me. I haven't like the foam mattresses I've slept on. They seem too hot and "chemically" or something.

tenders, Costco, eh? I do like their stuff mostly, think I'll check them out this week. Also, I really want one of those bed frames that supports just the mattress with no box springs. Any of you's guys know about them?

Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: May 10, 2017 03:21PM
GuyGene,

Look at my post. It's got links to a thread where I have a link to the metal platform bed frame I bought along with the brackets that are easily modified for attaching a headboard. Ombligo can vouch for the frame. He bought one based on my recommendation!

Here are the links to the frame and headboard brackets:

[www.walmart.com]

[www.walmart.com]

You'll have to modify the brackets to make them work on the Elite version of the frame. Very easy. Took ten minutes and a handful of appropriately sized steel washers to make them attach nicely to the frame.

Note: I only recommend the Elite version. I didn't check out the others because I preferred the heavier duty design of the Elite model. It can support many times the combined weight of a mattress, my wife and I. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: billb
Date: May 10, 2017 03:51PM
Dennis S

Have you slept on a foam slab from them? I almost bought one and am still considering it.

Made new cushions for a sailboat forepeak. Those 5 inch cushions were damned comfortable considering the price. I looked forward to sleeping on the boat, even if we didn't go anywhere. Procured locally though at a ship chandlery.
I always recommend them (closed cell ) for anyone with little kids who are bed-wetters. Or toddlers in general.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: May 10, 2017 04:43PM
Last time I needed a new mattress, I decided that I wasn't going to go cheap. I went to a local store (locally owned) and tried a lot of beds while talking to the owners/salespeople and decided on one I liked. Arranged for delivery and have been loving it in the three years since.

I'm a CHEAPSKATE and this was a rare 'buy at retail' moment for me, but I'm so glad I went this route. It felt good doing biz with nice locals - I'm probably overspent by 20%, but I got great service, a great bed and a bit of satisfaction that the money I spent stayed in the area.

I would do it again if I could find another store like that - they may not be around much longer...
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: May 10, 2017 04:59PM
We used to spend $1500 - $2000 for a queen mattress but the last one we had got so bad so quickly that I replaced it with a Tuft & Needle. Since they give you 100 nights to decide whether to keep it, I figured why not? And it is by far the best mattress we have ever had. We're never going back.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 10, 2017 05:45PM
we bought a Tuft and Needle couple years back. Happy with it. Now just need to reinforce our platform and the center beam of oak has warped a bit. Thinking an aluminum I beam or 2.
6 bills for a queen, delivered. Couple other friends have been happy as well. Casper, BinaB and others have good marks as well. But $1200 for a mattress ? Screw that 5h1t.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

The Howlin Souls - [goo.gl]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 05:46PM by Fritz.
Date: May 10, 2017 08:29PM
Thanks Robert, that's something like I want. I'm tired of using box springs. Oh well, seems like all of have a hard time finding good beds! facepalm

Tuft & Needle, Costco, local owned stores (I still like that!) on and on. At least we have some choices.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 10, 2017 09:09PM
Another vote from someone who dreads the car salesman approach to buying a mattress. I'm going to check out Ikea fir the kids mattresses. We bought our king (twin California mattresses) from a local factory that has since gone defunct. Costco is certainly a possibility, and would be much easier.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 10, 2017 10:47PM
Don't go queen size, buy king size. You'll both appreciate the extra room. Your wife can thank me later.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 11, 2017 12:59AM
Hahahaha Speedy.
California King or Nothing. Like the extra length.
A queen will cut it for a few nights while on vacation if needed.
Wife and I are taller than average.
Posted by: h linamen
Date: May 11, 2017 06:42AM
So tired of paying $1500 for a queen inner spring mattress that got lumpy within 4 years. Got a $3500 Tempurpedic mattress for $100 from a couple that used it less than a year because they said it was too firm. Love it! My brother got a Dromma bed on the internet and had a 200 night trial. Decided they didn't like the firmness so got a FREE exchange and now love their Dromma, about $850. Why would anyone pay $2000 - $4000 for a mattress when there are so many on the internet that give you 100 or 200 nights to try their mattress with a free exchange if not happy. Many like the CASPER, TUFT-N-NEEDLE AND DROMMA have excellent reviews.
Date: May 11, 2017 07:00AM
H,

Many assumptions in your post both implied and actual. The mattresses you mentioned all tend to be memory foam, latex or something similar and you're working under the assumption they work for everyone. Not true. These types of mattresses don't work for some people. My wife doesn't like them. Neither do my parents. I've got mixed feelings.

Many people pay higher prices for a mattress because they buy a foundation (aka box spring) with it. Or, the store charges a higher price for the mattress and throws the foundation/boxspring in for free. Save bucks by purchasing a platform bed, which makes the foundation/box spring unnecessary. When buying the mattress, buy just the mattress and ask the store to discount the price because you don't need the foundation/box spring. My wife and I did that and saved serious bucks.

People also don't need to spend $1000, $2000, $3000, etc for a mattress either. Many people spend far less than that and are happy with their purchase.

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 11, 2017 07:02AM
.....don't get the one that comes with bed bugs.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 11, 2017 12:28PM
Robert M
People also don't need to spend $1000, $2000, $3000, etc for a mattress either. Many people spend far less than that and are happy with their purchase.
Robert

no crap, where are the cheapskates?

Had to dig out the receipt -

I paid about a grand, delivered, for a platform bed and mattress - in nyc. its been over 4 years and there's hardly any wear. Invoice was $699 for queen size bed and $699 for queen size mattress. Then they pile on discounts. Call it $600-700 for the mattress.

Next time I'm going to try to spend less. I'd at least look at ikea mattresses. Hm, I might be able to spend less but not a whole lot less.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2017 12:49PM by mattkime.
Date: May 11, 2017 01:21PM
Matt,

You could've spent just $699 for the mattress and $102 or so for a metal platform bed frame. Add another $26 or so if you want the bracket set for a headboard. That's a significant savings over what you spent on the mattress and bed you bought. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 11, 2017 07:20PM
Or you could spend about $200 for a mattress with that $100 or so for the platform frame. If you don't like it, no great loss. I can't imagine spending a grand for a mattress.
Posted by: clay
Date: May 12, 2017 01:34PM
I spent about $300 for a memory foam (10" or 12" thick, firm) king size mattress and maybe $100 for a wooden platform frame. Best bed I've ever slept in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 01:35PM by clay.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015