advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Perhaps a very stupid electrical question (still trying to figure out how to vent hot air)
Posted by: hal
Date: May 11, 2017 04:52PM
I live in an old converted horse barn. I occupy the top floor and am a bit worried about getting this place cool in the fast approaching summer nights. We had an early heat wave - got up to the low 90s and I was not pleased at how long it took to cool the place down.

I have a little window AC, but I don't want to run that at night. At night, I want to run a fan to suck cool air in (or push hot air out). There are a couple of very nice window fans, but they all seem to require a bigger window than I have.

I have one window that opens to about 16" height and 24"w.

I have one of those little double window fans - it's only .55A - not a lot of power. I want a POWERFUL fan for this, but there just aren't any that fit this window.

The only fans that are the size and power that I'm wanting tend to be for attic or garage ventilation.

Something like this:

So my crazy idea is to mount this thing on plywood and set it in my window at night. Crank it on and move 1300CFM (cubic '/min).

There is no power cord - can I install one well enough? Is this completely unsafe? What is it that I'm not considering?

Please offer better ideas (that don't cost an arm & a leg) or suggest ways I can make this safely work
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Perhaps a very stupid electrical question (still trying to figure out how to vent hot air)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 11, 2017 05:19PM
Yeah, hooking a heavy guage cord and plugging it in are very easy and safe. What's the power consumption? # of amps or watts? Anyway, I'd buy a 14 or 16 gage extension cord, and remove the socket end and join the wires to the fan. Done. Joe Bob/Bubba solution would involve wire nuts and lots of electrical tape. You could also use crimp butt connectors if you have the right crimping tool, or can borrow one. Then tape. A step up is the fuseable tape.
Re: Perhaps a very stupid electrical question (still trying to figure out how to vent hot air)
Date: May 11, 2017 05:24PM
I should have mentioned that I don't do electrical - only understood about half of that, but am encouraged. crimp butt connectors? I thought this was a family forum :-)

power varies - around 3A and 200-300W - not huge numbers.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: May 11, 2017 05:26PM
The safety problem I see is the fan blades. You don't want someone to get a finger or hand in there. Or have a pet jump into it
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: May 11, 2017 05:26PM
That's the difference between consumer grade and commercial grade equipment, commercial grade is meant to be installed, not just set in a window. The fan in your picture looks pretty straightforward, you just have to install it.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 11, 2017 05:34PM
Plywood box around it (four sides, that is....) and some screen wire, plus an "almost proper" junction box on the side where you splice the cord to the fan, and you have a window mounted, 1300 cfm air mover.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: May 11, 2017 05:34PM
Dennis R
The safety problem I see is the fan blades. You don't want someone to get a finger or hand in there. Or have a pet jump into it

I figure some chicken wire would do. No way would my cat go anywhere near a loud electrical thing, but just in case a squirrel decided to jump into the blades...
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 11, 2017 05:41PM
Those are LOUD. They replaced my roof, I asked them to install a new attic fan, They did, but not wired. They said I had to hire an electrician. I did it myself. Piece of cake. But they are LOUD.

I think a good window AC will be quieter than this fan.

EDIT: what is the outside temperature at night? if it gets cold enough, the fan might work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2017 05:42PM by space-time.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 11, 2017 05:42PM
Window screen wire would be a more elegant and bug-resistant solution. Not that many bugs are going to come in through 1300cfm when it's ON, of course!

hal
Dennis R

I figure some chicken wire would do. No way would my cat go anywhere near a loud electrical thing, but just in case a squirrel decided to jump into the blades...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: bik
Date: May 11, 2017 05:56PM
Are you sure the one you've pictured is 1300 CFM? That's a lot, and it's going to be loud!
What size is it?
Could it be a typo and mean 130 CFM?

In any case, a fan sold as a thru-wall vent fan could possibly make things a little easier. They would probably come with covers for inside and out so that you don't have to worry about chicken wire, and they might be a step or two easier to mount to plywood. Something like:
[www.broan.com]

I've been researching these things to ventilate my damp/humid basement.

Just a thought.

Edit: I see an attic fan matching your picture, so I can see that 1300+ CFM is indeed the correct range. But so far I'm not seeing a spec on the noise. Still assuming it's going to be pretty loud for a living space.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2017 06:00PM by bik.
Date: May 11, 2017 06:10PM
bik
Are you sure the one you've pictured is 1300 CFM? That's a lot, and it's going to be loud!
What size is it?
Could it be a typo and mean 130 CFM?

In any case, a fan sold as a thru-wall vent fan could possibly make things a little easier. They would probably come with covers for inside and out so that you don't have to worry about chicken wire, and they might be a step or two easier to mount to plywood. Something like:
[www.broan.com]

I've been researching these things to ventilate my damp/humid basement.

Just a thought.

Edit: I see an attic fan matching your picture, so I can see that 1300+ CFM is indeed the correct range. But so far I'm not seeing a spec on the noise. Still assuming it's going to be pretty loud for a living space.

470 CFM 8.0 Sones

even that is still too loud.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 11, 2017 07:10PM
I hope you gave two windows, one on each end of your abode. Put the fan in one window and have it blow outward. Put your bed under the other window. You should get a nice breeze with much less noise. If it rains, reach up and shut the window and you can let the fan continue to run. Without two windows you are fighting a losing battle.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2017 07:11PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Z
Date: May 11, 2017 07:39PM
Set a couple of panasonic whisperfans?
Posted by: 3d
Date: May 11, 2017 07:40PM
2295 CFM 12" fan with hose exhaust. $160
Plywood with 12" hole for hose. No electrical work needed. Plug it in and BLOW.

[www.amazon.com]
Date: May 11, 2017 08:42PM
3d
2295 CFM 12" fan with hose exhaust. $160
Plywood with 12" hole for hose. No electrical work needed. Plug it in and BLOW.

[www.amazon.com]

hey! interesting...

the more I research, the more options I find
Date: May 11, 2017 09:07PM
hal

the more I research, the more options I find

that is usually how it goes.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 11, 2017 10:03PM
If there is even a trace of the agricultural history of the area left in the local area, you are going to absolutely need some industrial-strength bug / mosquito screens.

Unless the attic was redone with it being a comfortable and efficient space in mind, I'm guessing the reason it took so long cool down is that there's very little insulation and a heck of a lot of thermal mass above your ceiling.

You might want to read through Chris's threads on cooling his dormer addition.
[forums.macresource.com]
[forums.macresource.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015