advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pirate hackers holding a copy of Pirates of the Caribbean 5 are seeking a ransom from Disney
Posted by: hal
Date: May 17, 2017 03:24PM
[www.latimes.com]

Hackers have once again struck at Hollywood, this time claiming one of the summer’s biggest blockbuster releases — Disney’s “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales,” the fifth installment in the highly profitable swashbuckling franchise, starring Johnny Depp.

Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Bob Iger told ABC employees in New York on Monday that hackers have claimed to have stolen a movie and are threatening to release it in segments until their demands, which include a pirate-like ransom paid with Bitcoin, are met.

Iger didn’t identify the movie, and the Burbank-based Disney declined to comment. But a person with knowledge of the situation who was not authorized to comment said the movie that was hacked was the new “Pirates of the Caribbean” sequel.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pirate hackers holding a copy of Pirates of the Caribbean 5 are seeking a ransom from Disney
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 17, 2017 03:32PM
....they are probably holding it in the 'sucks'....category.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: Pirate hackers holding a copy of Pirates of the Caribbean 5 are seeking a ransom from Disney
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: May 17, 2017 03:56PM
I'd consider paying them to delete all copies. Including the ones still at Disney.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 17, 2017 04:01PM
A big yawn from Hollywood.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, due out on 26 May, was only 10 days from release when hackers stole a copy from a post-production company in LA.

They demanded a ransom, believed to be $80,000 (£61,700) – peanuts for a franchise that has pulled in $3bn globally. They threatened that, if the ransom wasn’t paid, they would release the film to torrent sites in chunks, carved up like shark bait.

So far, the film world has reacted with a shrug that suggests the digital pirates have scuppered the wrong vessel. It’s a sign that times have moved on. In 2011, BitTorrent accounted for 23% of US broadband traffic. Now, it is 5%. The equilibrium has shifted. There will always be a minority who see torrenting as their birthright; most, though, have moved on to Netflix and the like. Why deal with popups from adult websites and eyeless malware beasties if you can get thousands of films a month in a safe space for less than the cost of lunch?

[www.theguardian.com]
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 17, 2017 04:24PM
I stopped paying attention. What number is this one?

People who are going to pay will pay, those who don't, won't. These ransom people are going to get diddley.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 17, 2017 04:27PM
I can't believe there are 5 of those. I think I saw most of the first one. Without Depp doing his Keith Richards thing, it would have been a complete waste of time rather than an almost complete waste of time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2017 04:28PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 17, 2017 04:31PM
ka jowct
I can't believe there are 5 of those. I think I saw most of the first one. Without Depp doing his Keith Richards thing, it would have been a complete waste of time rather than an almost complete waste of time.

To me these movies are just an opportunity for Depp to go over the top. WAY TOO far over the top imo. I end up just watching Depp 'act'. I don't believe any of it for a second and suspension of disbelief is an absolute requirement for these movies.

Happily there are LOTS of options out there for entertainment.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 17, 2017 05:18PM
I actually thoroughly enjoyed the first one. It ain't Shakespeare, but it was good fun.
The second, I think I made it halfway though.
Haven't bothered since.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: May 17, 2017 05:35PM
Paul F.
I actually thoroughly enjoyed the first one. It ain't Shakespeare, but it was good fun.
The second, I think I made it halfway though.
Haven't bothered since.

Like quite a few movies lately (Transformers, The Mummy [Frasier version], GOTG, there are others), the first one was big, dumb fun. The sequel(s) were just big and dumb.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 17, 2017 06:57PM
Quite an accurate description!
And I REALLY loved the Frasier "Mummy".

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 17, 2017 08:08PM
smiley-rpg028
Date: May 17, 2017 09:21PM
.....they canceled....'Ransom'.......on CBS......it was an o.k. procedural but they left it on Saturdays where no one watches it.....

Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 19, 2017 11:54AM
How many people who would actually go to the theatre and pay to see this would instead be likely to download it and watch at home? Probably not too many. Don't negotiate with terrorists.
Date: May 19, 2017 12:59PM
....saw the first but the rest missed in theaters but saw on dvd.....can't remember the plots or what happened......they blurred together......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015