advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bugs not bugging you any more ? Yeah.. um... things are not right in the ecology..
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 17, 2017 04:00PM
[www.sciencemag.org]

"Entomologists call it the windshield phenomenon. "If you talk to people, they have a gut feeling. They remember how insects used to smash on your windscreen," says Wolfgang Wägele, director of the Leibniz Institute for Animal Biodiversity in Bonn, Germany. Today, drivers spend less time scraping and scrubbing. "I'm a very data-driven person," says Scott Black, executive director of the Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation in Portland, Oregon. "But it is a visceral reaction when you realize you don't see that mess anymore.""
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bugs not bugging you any more ? Yeah.. um... things are not right in the ecology..
Posted by: tronnei
Date: May 17, 2017 04:24PM
I just drove 2600 miles over a two week period. No lack of bugs that I could see.
Re: Bugs not bugging you any more ? Yeah.. um... things are not right in the ecology..
Posted by: DP
Date: May 17, 2017 04:29PM
Mosquitoes, yellow jackets, yeah. They're out and about...

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 17, 2017 05:02PM
I think that the aerodynamics of modern cars alters the interaction between cars and insects. Windshields used to be a vertical slab. Now they're slanted and have high-pressure air pockets in front of them.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 17, 2017 05:15PM
I recently drove from NY to AZ. NO dearth of insect debris on my windshield.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 17, 2017 05:48PM
June two years ago. Dense mayfly swarm causes crashes, closes bridge.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 17, 2017 05:52PM
Well, I just spent a few hours outside and the gnats nearly ate me up! Also have a nice coating of bugs on the front of my truck, with a windshield that's a blurry mess from smeared bugs.

I'm not noticing a difference from prior years.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 17, 2017 06:06PM
Check the radiator.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: May 17, 2017 06:08PM
Ain't no shortage of bugs.

8hr drive through PA and into upstate NY.

4hrs of washing and re-washing to get the dead moths and aphids off.

Posted by: billb
Date: May 17, 2017 06:21PM
fake news

someone's looking for some easy study money

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 17, 2017 06:50PM
ztirffritz
I think that the aerodynamics of modern cars alters the interaction between cars and insects. Windshields used to be a vertical slab. Now they're slanted and have high-pressure air pockets in front of them.

Amen. And rock chips are less common too.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 17, 2017 09:15PM
Bugs on the windshield is not science but there is science in the rest of the article.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: May 18, 2017 02:01PM

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 18, 2017 05:48PM
From the linked article:

"Though observations about splattered bugs aren't scientific, few reliable data exist on the fate of important insect species."

But that's OK, all anyone will remember is that stupid comment about dead bugs on your windshield.

Posted by: btfc
Date: May 18, 2017 11:42PM
A rough guide to spotting someone who did not actually read the article:

billb
fake news

Date: May 19, 2017 08:14AM
A rough guide to someone who spews logical fallacies and doesn't know what they are talking about:

btfc

billb
fake news

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 19, 2017 12:02PM
A rough guide to someone who fails on both sides of the forum on a daily basis:

billb
A rough guide to someone who spews logical fallacies and doesn't know what they are talking about:

btfc

billb
fake news

Either didn't read or can't comprehend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2017 12:05PM by btfc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 121
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015