advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $157.15 ( -0.35 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ALL Powdered Detergent "Free and Clear"... Looking for another brand that is as good...
Posted by: spacescape
Date: May 17, 2017 09:06PM
We have a front loading washing machine which we seem to only be able to use "ALL" Free and Clear detergent (Powdered) or we get a stinky sewer smell out of the machine. So, we drained it and did a cleaning cycle and have been using this ever since.

[www.amazon.com]

Problem is that it was about $4-$5... Now it seems to be $13-$15 per box... In the matter of a few months. So, I'm looking for other options and suggestions. Anyone can recommend anything?

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ALL Powdered Detergent "Free and Clear"... Looking for another brand that is as good...
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 17, 2017 09:12PM
Do you use a fabric softener in your washer? That is providing food for the mildew/bacteria in the front loader. The drum gets clean every time you run a load, but the big outer drum it sits in gets a sludge line of softener at the water line, and that is some pretty gross stuff when the ecosystem gets going.

We stopped using softener in our washer and it went away pretty quick.

We use half sheets in our dryer and it works fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2017 09:14PM by Racer X.
Re: ALL Powdered Detergent "Free and Clear"... Looking for another brand that is as good...
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 17, 2017 09:16PM
Do you leave the door open after washing? That also makes a difference, it allows the drum and seal area to dry out. Without the moisture, mold and mildew have a harder time thriving there and creating the odor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2017 09:30PM by JoeH.
Posted by: Don C
Date: May 17, 2017 09:19PM
We were told to use dryer sheets sparingly as whatever is in them can damage the rubber seals in the dryer if a lot of them are used. We were told we could use them with sheets and large items once in a while but not with small items.
Date: May 17, 2017 09:24PM
Don C
We were told to use dryer sheets sparingly as whatever is in them can damage the rubber seals in the dryer if a lot of them are used. We were told we could use them with sheets and large items once in a while but not with small items.

Yeah I can see that. What makes them work is they have a waxy substance made from beef tallow on them. Oil will eventually break down many types of rubber.

It's a toss up. Liquid bad in a washer, sheets bad in the dryer. dunno smiley
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 17, 2017 10:29PM
We use the liquid version of that with liquid free & clear softener for maybe 20% of the loads without issue, but the others point out issues that probably address the stinkies you're having more succinctly. Good luck.
==
Date: May 17, 2017 10:39PM
Actually, we use the Costco house brand that mimics the Free and Clear liquid. Works well for us.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 17, 2017 10:41PM
Racer X
Actually, we use the Costco house brand that mimics the Free and Clear liquid. Works well for us.

that's what i use also.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 18, 2017 12:47AM
We use the pacs now, no more liquid or powder.

[www.amazon.com]

WE really miss the bounce dryer bar, best thing ever.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 18, 2017 06:06AM
....the issue with liquids are that read somewhere that efficiency dwindles over time.....meaning cleaning power will decrease if you have for long time.....not so for powder since they are basically 'inert' until they touch water......

.....don't remember exact time but if you have liquid for a year, let's say the cleaning power will have decrease......and since liquids are ubiquitous now, price for powder is so much cheaper compared to liquids......

.....and the pacs are so much more expensive.........if you are watching your pennies.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 18, 2017 06:36AM
Newton,

A bottle of laundry detergent - even a ginormous - can last a year? Wow! Not around here!

Robert
Date: May 18, 2017 06:41AM
......some people stock up when liquid detergent is on sale to save money.......and some family units only have 1-2 people.....

Posted by: spacescape
Date: May 18, 2017 06:44AM
Costco Liquid "FREE" and "HE"... Caused the most problem. sad smiley Not right away but eventually... Haven't had a problem in over a year since we switched to ALL FREE AND CLEAR...

Thanks.
Date: May 18, 2017 06:51AM
.....try other 'free' house brands like Target.......there is also Wisk 'free' but in the last few years it has been disappearing from most stores.......Walmart on-line used to sell it but no longer.....I think both Target and Walmart sell it in-store, as do certain supermarket chains....

......Wisk, some time ago, won Consumer Reports #1 list......there is also the new detergent Persil, from Europe, prices are starting to come down from when it was first introduced and they have a 'free' version.......compare the price to All but All is probably cheaper.......

....you can wait for sales and then stock up, as All goes on sale quite often, as it is one of the detergents in the 'medium' category that people often buy to save money [ not top tier detergent like Tide that is always expensive or a lower tier like Purex, Arm&Hammer etc ]........and there are always coupons for All around [ Tide coupons are rare and usually you have to buy 2 to get something like 50 cents off ].....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2017 06:55AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 18, 2017 07:54AM
Newton,

My family is two adults and one toddler. Giant bottles - think Costco size - wouldn't last a year. Not a chance. we stock up when it's on sale but don't go overboard when buying. We don't have the space to store large quantities of detergents.

Robert
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 18, 2017 08:39AM
Robert - my experience is that one toddler can result in more washing than any three or four adults. My adult son and I might go through one large container of detergent in 6+ months.
Date: May 18, 2017 08:43AM
....def. more laundry for toddler.......my parents don't use that much detergent....a ginourmous bottle can last pretty long....

Posted by: GuyGene
Date: May 18, 2017 08:47AM
Never close washer door, especially on front loaders. We have Kenmore top load in one place, Bosch front load in other, always leave doors open and never any odors. And, fabric softener - no. It's the biggest cause of allergies, hurts washers and dryers, and should be illegal. popcorn smiley

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 18, 2017 09:00AM
graylocks
Racer X

that's what i use also.

ditto again

"When the tree falls, the monkeys scatter." Chinese proverb.

Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination.

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." Jim Hightower
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 18, 2017 10:27AM
Use chlorine bleach. It's a rare load where I don't use bleach.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: FormerlySaleenl
Date: May 18, 2017 11:02AM
I have used this powdered detergent for a while, as well as its scented variants, and it works well: [www.amazon.com]
All scents are so mild, I just buy whatever variety is cheapest at the time.

Note that while it appears expensive, it comes in 10 pound boxes instead of the 3.25 pound All ones. Also, the amount you need to use is very small if you read carefully, it's no more than two tablespoons. The included scoop encourages you to use too much for a front loader.

I use vinegar instead of fabric softener and augment it with some oxi clean if washing a load of whites. We've never had problems with our washer stinking. Sometimes I also use a dryer sheet, but they leave very little residue. [www.vitacost.com]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 18, 2017 03:06PM
All Free and Clear has not gone up in price at my Walmart.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 19, 2017 12:34PM
For some washes, I'll use only baking soda. Occasionally, I'll add a tablespoon if liquid detergent, but have been wanting to switch to a powder. This thread may make me do that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 295
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015