Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can a Car Battery Be Returned?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 17, 2017 10:55PM
my son has had a 1996 Acura Integra for the last year or so.178,000+ miles. let's just say his first car has been quite an expensive learning experience. he's now working 6 days a week and is committed to getting a solid daily driver sometime this summer. but in the meantime his integra stalled on him today and wouldn't turn over. long story short, the integra will take a jump and run but once you turn it off it won't turn on again.

the thinking right now is that it's the battery and he's willing to put a new battery into the integra but he doesn't want to sink any more money into it if it's more than the battery. so, can he buy a battery and if the car doesn't work, return the battery like we return just about anything else in our retail life?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can a Car Battery Be Returned?
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: May 17, 2017 10:59PM
I highly doubt it, typically any electrical components for automobiles are not returnable.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 17, 2017 11:00PM
Jump it, and without turning it off, take it to O'Reillys Auto and get the charging system tested for free.
Date: May 17, 2017 11:02PM
Racer X
Jump it, and without turning it off, take it to O'Reillys Auto and get the charging system tested for free.

will testing the "Charging system" tell more than just battery health? does it include things like the alternator?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 17, 2017 11:02PM
Maybe if you get it at Sams Club or Costco. Most auto parts stores will test the old battery for you as well as the alternator if you pull it out and bring it in.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: May 17, 2017 11:16PM
graylocks
Racer X

will testing the "Charging system" tell more than just battery health? does it include things like the alternator?

Absolutely! That is the goal.

In the most basic terms, the battery is a box that holds energy. If you don't put some back in when you use some, eventually it will be empty. Jumping allows the OTHER battery to start the car. Now, some energy will also end up in the battery. If the charging system doesn't fill the battery, it will be empty when you try and start it again.
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 17, 2017 11:59PM
What the car guy said. I second his recommendation. Some auto parts stores allow you to return a battery. Costco won't test your charging system. Some auto parts store will, call local chains to verify. When it comes to the charging system, it's a pretty basic design. The problems arise when there is a short circuit somewhere that drains the battery and the charging system checks out fine.
Date: May 18, 2017 12:01AM
Right now, we are hoping for horses, not zebras.
Date: May 18, 2017 12:02AM
Hahaha true, basic first
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 18, 2017 01:27AM
If the battery is over 5 years old and it hasn't been charged properly in the recent past, it likely needs to be replaced no matter what. The question is whether the alternator needs a new belt, needs to be replaced, or there is another electrical fault.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: May 18, 2017 05:35AM
I had a similar problem. It turned out to be one dead cell in the battery. Not fixable, so a new battery. All is well.
Posted by: tenders
Date: May 18, 2017 06:14AM
It is most likely the battery ($80), possibly the alternator ($120), or a belt ($20). Any of those can be replaced bu a motivated amateur in an hour with minimal tools after looking at YouTube videos. I wouldn't give up on an otherwise functioning vehicle for this.
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 18, 2017 06:51AM
What RacerX said grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 18, 2017 10:41AM
Advance Auto near me said I could return a battery I purchased in case it turned out not to be what I needed, but it was, so I can't say for sure if they would take it.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 18, 2017 02:08PM
tenders
It is most likely the battery ($80), possibly the alternator ($120), or a belt ($20). Any of those can be replaced bu a motivated amateur in an hour with minimal tools after looking at YouTube videos. I wouldn't give up on an otherwise functioning vehicle for this.

Yes. Most cars now just completely crap out unless there is a solid 13.5v or more available. The alternator in that car may be replaceable by an amateur mechanic but you'd likely not have all the tools to do it unless you dabble.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: May 18, 2017 03:46PM
Depends when the battery was purchased too. If you buy a battery they typically have a prorated warranty. If you didn't buy it then no. If it was mine i would check the water level if serviceable. Then attach my charger and see if it can charge it or not. If not new battery time. if it did take a charge I would bring it in to get it load tested, and replace if weak. if load test is good would get charging system tested.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Date: May 18, 2017 06:11PM
The Resolution: my son took the battery out and in my other car took it to AutoZone which is just down the road from us. they had no way to test it and wanted $130 for a new battery. still unsure if it was the battery, son followed the O'Reilly advice mom gave him from the forum and their machine said 'bad battery'. their cheapest battery was also $130 but my son felt better now knowing it probably was the battery. he brought it home and installed it. said it was the quickest the integra had ever turned over.

thanks, all!

Date: May 18, 2017 06:19PM
There you have it. It was horses, not zebras.
Date: May 18, 2017 07:27PM
Is the alternator working properly?
Date: May 18, 2017 07:58PM
Carm
Is the alternator working properly?

i believe so. he said in his research that if it was the alternator the car would have died when the jumper cables were removed. for whatever reason he just took the battery in for testing rather than driving the car over and having the charging system checked.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 294
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015