advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $158.73 ( +0.06 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
next selection for non-fiction book club?
Posted by: robfilms
Date: May 18, 2017 10:14AM
first meeting of non-fiction book club is this evening.

seven participants=4 female/3 male.

all of us are older than 55 years.

we just finished "hillbilly elegy" and will discuss this evening over dinner.

i welcome possible next selections.

the only caveat=it must be a non-fiction book.

thank you in advance for playing along.

be well

rob
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: next selection for non-fiction book club?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 18, 2017 10:38AM
I read a ton of non-fiction, but it is hard to suggest without knowing what might interest your club. Here are a few recent reads, but with more direction I may be able to do better.

Wreck of the Carl D
Trapped under the Sea
A Man and his Ship
The Girls of Atomic City
Destiny of the Republic
The Yugo
Freedom Summer
The Circus Fire
The Forgotten 500

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: pipiens
Date: May 18, 2017 11:25AM
I re-read 'Endurance' recently after a trip to South Georgia. It is 'best in class' for this kind of book
[www.amazon.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2017 11:28AM by pipiens.
Date: May 18, 2017 01:01PM
Ombligo
I read a ton of non-fiction, but it is hard to suggest without knowing what might interest your club. Here are a few recent reads, but with more direction I may be able to do better.

Wreck of the Carl D
Trapped under the Sea
A Man and his Ship
The Girls of Atomic City
Destiny of the Republic
The Yugo
Freedom Summer
The Circus Fire
The Forgotten 500

O-

Thank you for sharing the list.

I will start checking them out.

As for direction, I'm not yet sure.

Bio-History-History Bio-Science-Public Policy?

I imagine after our initial gathering, I'll have a better sense.

I welcome any and all additional thoughts.

Be well.

Rob
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 18, 2017 01:02PM
Berlin Diary
Date: May 18, 2017 01:13PM
all-

thanks.

i ordered berlin diary and destiny of the republic from my local public library for me, irrespective of what the book group decides!

please keep those suggestions coming.

VERY helpful.

be well.

rob
Posted by: hal
Date: May 18, 2017 02:37PM
The Lost City of the Monkey God - an amazing recounting of a very recent discovery of a lost civilization. Most fun reading an NF in a long time.

Paper: Paging Through History - a surprisingly hard to put down book. One fascinating story after another with paper being the common thread.

How Music Got Free: The End of an Industry, the Turn of the Century, and the Patient Zero of Piracy - the story of the development of MP3 and the decline of the music biz. VERY comprehensive. The early days of pirating was very interesting.

The Great Beanie Baby Bubble: Mass Delusion and the Dark Side of Cute - heck of a story

The Age of Edison: Electric Light and the Invention of Modern America - story of the early days of electricity

The Network: The Battle for the Airwaves and the Birth of the Communications Age
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: May 18, 2017 03:19PM
Quite enjoyed "The Telomere Effect" by Drs. Blackburn and Epel.

[www.hachettebookgroup.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 18, 2017 04:43PM
If you are looking for a non-intellectual, fun read - try The Sex Lives of Cannibals (which is neither about sex or cannibals, but had me laughing aloud.

For informative and funny - try Stiff by Mary Roach.

and finally, to prove that Americans have always been gullible -- Charlatan: America's Most Dangerous Huckster

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: May 18, 2017 09:20PM
thank you everyone for their suggestions.

our next book is a social science theory book about the ability to make choices and those who influence those selections:

"hit-makers" by derek thompson.

be well.

rob
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 18, 2017 10:21PM
For future consideration: "The German War", Nicholas Stargardt.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 19, 2017 01:44AM
hal
The Lost City of the Monkey God - an amazing recounting of a very recent discovery of a lost civilization. Most fun reading an NF in a long time.

Paper: Paging Through History - a surprisingly hard to put down book. One fascinating story after another with paper being the common thread.

How Music Got Free: The End of an Industry, the Turn of the Century, and the Patient Zero of Piracy - the story of the development of MP3 and the decline of the music biz. VERY comprehensive. The early days of pirating was very interesting.

The Great Beanie Baby Bubble: Mass Delusion and the Dark Side of Cute - heck of a story

The Age of Edison: Electric Light and the Invention of Modern America - story of the early days of electricity

The Network: The Battle for the Airwaves and the Birth of the Communications Age

I just picked up "The Lost City..." from the library this afternoon. "The Forgotten 500" was a great read, as was "Troubled Waters", and the same author has a few more I want to read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2017 01:52AM by Racer X.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 19, 2017 01:21PM
It's not an easy read, but it's fairly short: Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates. It's a brilliantly written, compassionate, difficult read by a man trying to prepare his son for an often bewildering and dangerous world.

It would be a particularly poignant and relevant book to discuss after Hillbilly Elegy.

I also found The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel WIlkerson to be a phenomenal read. It's a great ethnographic account of the "Great Migration" of African Americans in the 20th century. In addition to being an engaging read about the people involved (she profiles a select few people to 'follow' on their journeys), it's a great account of 'how we got here.' It's long, but you could read and discuss longer excerpts without betraying the value of the book.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Janit
Date: May 19, 2017 02:44PM
I recommend "A Sense of the World: How a Blind Man Became History's Greatest Traveler." A masterful reconstruction of the life of James Holman (1786-1857), and a well written story.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 273
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015