advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What does the forum suggest for wash machines?
Posted by: JEB
Date: May 18, 2017 05:47PM
Hi All. Bad week! Wash machine, lawn mower, printer died. Need suggestions for replacement wash machine- top loader of front loader? Brands? Thanks in advance.

John
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What does the forum suggest for wash machines?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 18, 2017 06:03PM
I would do research on Consumer Reports.

I love my front loader, and stand by my decision back in 2002. HOWEVER, top loaders have come a long way since then.
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 18, 2017 06:18PM
The never ending debate of top vs front loaders.

I would get a front loader if and only if I could leave it open to prevent mold.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: May 18, 2017 06:25PM
space-time

I would get a front loader if and only if I could leave it open to prevent mold.

I leave ours open all the time when not in use.

You may be able to tell I love my front loader, Frigidaire Brand. If you are on a well, or have another reason to use less water, front loaders use less than half the water. This translates to less than half the detergent also, although I use the wash ball, haven't used detergent in wash for over 3 years now.

Dave

The secret to a long life is...

Don't do anything to shorten it.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 18, 2017 06:50PM
space-time

My ex and I never had a problem with mold on our Samsung front loader. We were always sure to dry the door seal with a towel after finishing a load, though.

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 18, 2017 09:12PM
space-time

....or tops vs. bottoms.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 18, 2017 09:16PM
You want a machine that is fully warrantied (parts and in-home labor) for 5 years? One that is likely to last as long as your mothers?

Speed Queen.

Not the cheapest, not the fanciest, it lacks the special mode for silk undies with rhinestones - but it is built to last and to clean.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 18, 2017 09:25PM
No rhinestone setting? But what about my GF's blinged-out Victoria's Secret over the shoulder boulder holders?
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: May 18, 2017 10:55PM
Yes, Speed Queen the best. I also never close door, no odor.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 19, 2017 06:34AM
we have a 15yo (knock steel) Kenmore badged Whirlpool beastly front loader. No trouble.
It was really $$ when we got it.

Like this: [www.sears.com]

we wash the Silverado in it.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

The Howlin Souls - [goo.gl]
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 19, 2017 07:55AM
I went with a top loader when we bought our new Washer and Dryer last year.
I got one that supposedly uses less water because it senses what the load needs. It is a GE.
Can't say I like that it locks the lid so that you can't just open it to add an item or rearrange the load without pushing a button to stop the machine and then unlock the lid, but otherwise it seems to work pretty well. I would not want to leave the door open all the time on a front loader. I am pretty sure I would wind up with a kitty in there, if I did.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: raz
Date: May 19, 2017 08:47AM
rgG
I went with a top loader when we bought our new Washer and Dryer last year.
I got one that supposedly uses less water because it senses what the load needs. It is a GE.
Can't say I like that it locks the lid so that you can't just open it to add an item or rearrange the load without pushing a button to stop the machine and then unlock the lid, but otherwise it seems to work pretty well. I would not want to leave the door open all the time on a front loader. I am pretty sure I would wind up with a kitty in there, if I did.

I think we have the same machine.

The wife really wanted a front loaded the previous time, but it was such a piece of crap (Whirlpool - mold, almost yearly maintenance, parts falling off ...) that the last time it died, I insisted on top loader. No problems at all, and I can use bleach on my undies.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: May 19, 2017 08:51AM
Fritz
we have a 15yo (knock steel) Kenmore badged Whirlpool beastly front loader. No trouble.
It was really $$ when we got it.

Like this: [www.sears.com]

we wash the Silverado in it.

We have the Kenmore HE4T washer similar to your picture and the newer dryer like in your link (which btw is made by LG). Tried to talk the wife into a new matching washer but she likes the HE4T too much and said no.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 19, 2017 09:52AM
Jeb,

I'll put in a good word for LG. My parents have an LG washing machine and my wife and I have one, too. Love it! Great performance. Rock solid reliable so far. We got ours in 2012. My parents got theirs a year later.

That said, I love the idea of Speed Queen but I'm leery because of what I read in this article:

[www.consumerreports.org]

On the plus side, the top loaders are considered very reliable. Not enough info on front loaders. Capacity appears to be a problem.

Definitely worth a looksie on the next go around but that's about it for now.

Robert
Posted by: evilrobot
Date: May 19, 2017 02:46PM
rgG
it locks the lid so that you can't just open it to add an item or rearrange the load without pushing a button to stop the machine and then unlock the lid

i have this 'feature' too. never fails that i have a stray sock to add to the load.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 19, 2017 03:41PM
......what about one of those old fashioned scrubbing boards......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: May 19, 2017 09:18PM
top-loading LG HE washer.

with all the computers in any new appliance, I'm just resigned to buying a new one every 10 years or so.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 212
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015