Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.96 ( -2.11 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I beat the IRS!
Posted by: DP
Date: May 19, 2017 06:13AM
Been arguing with the Feds since '14 about my 2010 taxes. Not an audit, but some questioning of deductions for my business and it's taken a while since the wheels of government move really slowly-unless, of course, you owe them money!
Anyway, after all was said and done, I got a refund check yesterday for $2.12! Woo hoo! Give it up for me!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I beat the IRS!
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: May 19, 2017 06:52AM
I used to go round and round with the IRS every year. My ex-wife would turn me in for tax fraud every year for harassment and I'd get audited. Some years I'd own a few dollars, some years I'd get a refund of a few dollars. In the long run it all evened out, but it was a real PITA. The IRS finally caught on to her little game and apparently flagged me as a "there's nothing here, just move on". Life has been pretty good ever since.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 19, 2017 06:56AM
.....so you fought the law.....and the law....didn't win......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: datbeme
Date: May 19, 2017 06:56AM
bobinmurphy
I used to go round and round with the IRS every year. My ex-wife would turn me in for tax fraud every year for harassment and I'd get audited. Some years I'd own a few dollars, some years I'd get a refund of a few dollars. In the long run it all evened out, but it was a real PITA. The IRS finally caught on to her little game and apparently flagged me as a "there's nothing here, just move on". Life has been pretty good ever since.

Wow. If a neighbor leaves a plate of cookies at your door with a kind note or a card, you better throw those directly into the trash.
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 19, 2017 07:13AM
bobinmurphy

what a despicable person. Why would someone do this to their ex-spouse?
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: May 19, 2017 08:20AM
Here's to holding your line against the Man, David.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 19, 2017 08:25AM
space-time
bobinmurphy

Horrible, but a few notches below the morally bankrupt people who accuse their spouses of child abuse to gain leverage in a divorce or custody case. Much harder to fight that, and your reputation might never recover.
Posted by: JPK
Date: May 19, 2017 08:34AM
Clearly, you are not paying your "fair share".

Congrats on the 'win'?

JPK
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 19, 2017 09:49AM
DP
Anyway, after all was said and done, I got a refund check yesterday for $2.12! Woo hoo! Give it up for me!

As with most wins in fights with bureaucracies, the 'victory' is assessed in what was not lost...

I suspect this an alternate outcome of this process would have resulted in a sizable bill to settle....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: DP
Date: May 19, 2017 09:55AM
As with most wins in fights with bureaucracies, the 'victory' is assessed in what was not lost...

True! True!

Posted by: billb
Date: May 19, 2017 11:18AM
Embrace your wins any way you can.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: DavidS
Date: May 19, 2017 12:25PM
I got a bill yesterday from the IRS for $400,000. Yes, you read that correctly.

Evidently, when I submitted my taxes last year, TurboTax may not have included the worksheet from our home sale. Or, the real estate attorneys sent in the 1099S but did not include our purchase price from 6 years prior. Either way, the IRS must think we bought our house for free and then sold it for a lot, and they want their cut. In reality, we made about $100,000 in the sale, which is within the amount that is allowable.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 19, 2017 12:48PM
Congrats on your victory! Death and taxes. They will get you next time.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 19, 2017 12:49PM
DavidS
I got a bill yesterday from the IRS for $400,000. Yes, you read that correctly.

Evidently, when I submitted my taxes last year, TurboTax may not have included the worksheet from our home sale. Or, the real estate attorneys sent in the 1099S but did not include our purchase price from 6 years prior. Either way, the IRS must think we bought our house for free and then sold it for a lot, and they want their cut. In reality, we made about $100,000 in the sale, which is within the amount that is allowable.

Ouch! Good luck on getting that straightened out in a timely fashion.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 19, 2017 01:16PM
I had a co-worker who's ex-wife used to routinely report him as a threat to their children and as mentally unstable. This would result in him being periodically committed to psychiatric observation while his children were taken into the care of the ex-wife. This wrought havoc on his life because there were all kinds of default, un-avoidable reactions that authorities are required to take and that he'd have to deal with for days, weeks and months afterward. He'd have all his guns confiscated which the police were forced to remove from his home. He'd have to get testing done to show that, per a mental health professional, he was not a threat to himself or others. Then he'd have to schedule a hearing with a court to show that the psychiatric observation found him to be stable and fit and overturn the transfer of custody of his children. He'd have to beg our employer to excuse his absence so he wouldn't lose his job. He'd miss mortgage payments because he was confined to psychiatric care while it was due, car payments would be missed, etc. It would affect his credit, his health, his career......and it would go on and on. He eventually did go onto anti-depressants because of his ex-wife's antics.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: DavidS
Date: May 19, 2017 01:34PM
ztirffritz
I had a co-worker who's ex-wife used to routinely report him as a threat to their children and as mentally unstable. This would result in him being periodically committed to psychiatric observation while his children were taken into the care of the ex-wife. This wrought havoc on his life because there were all kinds of default, un-avoidable reactions that authorities are required to take and that he'd have to deal with for days, weeks and months afterward. He'd have all his guns confiscated which the police were forced to remove from his home. He'd have to get testing done to show that, per a mental health professional, he was not a threat to himself or others. Then he'd have to schedule a hearing with a court to show that the psychiatric observation found him to be stable and fit and overturn the transfer of custody of his children. He'd have to beg our employer to excuse his absence so he wouldn't lose his job. He'd miss mortgage payments because he was confined to psychiatric care while it was due, car payments would be missed, etc. It would affect his credit, his health, his career......and it would go on and on. He eventually did go onto anti-depressants because of his ex-wife's antics.

Clearly, she was the one who was mentally unstable and a threat to well-being of the children (i.e. if he is unable to provide for them while dealing with that mess).
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 19, 2017 02:33PM
He'd always point out how unusual it was for a man to get custody of the children EVER after a divorce, and yet he'd managed to not only win custody, but repeatedly re-affirmed that decision after being repeatedly committed for psychological evaluation because of her. That was his testament to how crazy she was and why she was his ex. He had some issues himself, but nothing like his wife. She belonged in a home permanently.

DavidS
ztirffritz
I had a co-worker who's ex-wife used to routinely report him as a threat to their children and as mentally unstable....

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2017 02:33PM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 19, 2017 04:36PM
space-time
bobinmurphy

Well, for one, IF the person turned in for tax fraud IS guilty, the ratfink gets 10% as a finder's fee.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 290
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015