advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $143.73 ( -2.09 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Diabetic? You might soon need an Apple Watch!
Posted by: p8712
Date: May 19, 2017 07:16AM
Tim Cook Wears Fancy Prototype

As a Nurse, this interests me. The article is incorrect - a CGM isn't noninvasive - it has to be stuck in your tissue - and it's not as immediately accurate as finger sticks. There's no noninvasive way to check glucose. But still - nice to see Apple expanding the watch as a health tool.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Diabetic? You might soon need an Apple Watch!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 19, 2017 08:36AM
As a diabetic, this interests me too.

And.. noninvasive glucose measurement methods .... I'd love to see some actually work. The Google contact lenses didn't pan out. And yes, doggies can be trained to sniff out hyperglycemic events via ketone released (Diabetic sweat), but accurate measurements.. nope.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 19, 2017 09:00AM
I saw the glucose article and thought it was VERY interesting. If they can make it work they will sell a LOT of kits I think. Apple also bought a company that sells a bluetooth device to monitor sleep. I suspect we are going to see several health related devices in the future and that makes me excited.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 19, 2017 09:21AM
Hmm.. I wonder if that will allow the watch to be covered by insurance or flex spending?

"The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing" -- Socrates
ā€œIā€™m, like, a really smart person.ā€ -- Donald Trump
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 19, 2017 09:38AM
p8712,

Even finger sticks aren't particular acurate. I can test my blood sugar three times in a row and get three different results. Sometimes the results are very close in range, other times they are surprisingly off. Doesn't matter what meter. Same issue. That and expired sticks - even a year old - are no less accurate. Annoying as heck.

Robert
Date: May 19, 2017 10:12AM
Robert M
p8712,

Even finger sticks aren't particular acurate. I can test my blood sugar three times in a row and get three different results. Sometimes the results are very close in range, other times they are surprisingly off. Doesn't matter what meter. Same issue. That and expired sticks - even a year old - are no less accurate. Annoying as heck.

Robert

Do you wash your hands beforehand? Do you always wipe off the first drop of blood, and only test the second? Minor things - but can make a difference. Plus people tend to carry strips on them - I'd imagine not being stored at a constant temp/humidity messes up their effectiveness, too.

The pebble can already do it. too bad it's dying/dead

Date: May 19, 2017 10:24AM
P,

Yups. Always wash and dry between tests and use fresh strips, stored at a consistent temperature. The home testers and strips just aren't particularly accurate. Good enough but definitely insufficient if you want precision results in my experience.

Robert
Date: May 19, 2017 10:31AM
Robert M
P,

Yups. Always wash and dry between tests and use fresh strips, stored at a consistent temperature. The home testers and strips just aren't particularly accurate. Good enough but definitely insufficient if you want precision results in my experience.

Robert

Agreed, but it wasn't THAT long ago you couldn't even test at home. Progress!

Out of curiosity, how much do your reading vary by?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 19, 2017 10:32AM
p - Always good advice, thanks. I wash and dry, but I rarely get more than one drop at ALL.. I clot and heal insanely fast.I'd need to use a knife blade...
Date: May 19, 2017 10:39AM
P,

True but I've been testing for seven years and my parents and mother-in-law started testing at home long before that! The results ranges from 1 to 15 mg/dl. I'd say accuracy wasn't a concern if the results stayed within 5 mg/dl. 15 to 15? Yeah. It's a problem.

Here some test results from OneDrup from about a year ago:

[onedrop.today]

'course, OneDrop sells its own testing equipment but results are results.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2017 10:42AM by Robert M.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 19, 2017 11:04AM
.....thanks.....sug'.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: May 19, 2017 11:54PM
p8712
The article is incorrect - a CGM isn't noninvasive - it has to be stuck in your tissue - and it's not as immediately accurate as finger sticks. There's no noninvasive way to check glucose.

There may be now:

[www.diabetes.co.uk]
[www.edn.com]
[www.military-technologies.net]

Apple is probably developing one or more of these methods.
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 20, 2017 12:13PM
Or diabetics can just do it the way its done now. Nobody "needs" a watch for anything, ever except maybe to tell time.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: May 21, 2017 06:31AM
vision63
Or diabetics can just do it the way its done now. Nobody "needs" a watch for anything, ever except maybe to tell time.

Riiiight. Spoken like someone who is not diabetic. Try sticking your finger a few times a day, everyday, and see how much interest you have in a non-invasive method of determining blood glucose levels.
Date: May 22, 2017 11:33AM
Vision,

You can't be serious. I'd love for a quick, non-invasive way to test my blood glucose levels. Lots of good reasons. The annoyance factor. The prick of the lancet is slightly painful no matter the setting. The expense of testing supplies. Storage of testing supplies. You name it.

'course, the apple Watch isn't really a watch. It's a specialized computer, one of whose features is telling time. So, to call an apple Watch a watch is actually a misnomer. Kind of like calling a smart phone a cellular phone is a misnomer.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015