Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $158.73 ( +0.06 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Shameless pity play
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 19, 2017 07:50AM
Was doing my daily walk yesterday, about 8pm. Decided to speed up the pace since I wouldn't be walking as far as usual. No idea why, but I twisted my left ankle and went down. Skinned my knee, tore my jeans, but landed pretty easy, all things considered. My hands broke the fall without taking too much force, which was good. I was just walking in the neighborhood, thankfully, because the short walk back to the house was not all that pleasant. I always take my phone with me, except of course last night. I would have called my husband to come get me, if I had brought it.

Oh well, I am elevating and icing the ankle down. I plan on getting an ace bandage to wrap it today. It is a little swollen, but not too much. I can put weight on it and move it around, so I think it is just a grade 1 sprain, but I still feel stupid for taking a header into the pavement.

I have always had rather weak ankles so I just need to be more aware, in the future, plus I am not going to speed walk. Anyway, just wanting to have a little whine this morning. sad smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Shameless pity play
Posted by: DP
Date: May 19, 2017 08:03AM
Some different shoes may help? Glad you're OK, tho... Your hands/wrists may get sore too in the next day or two. I fell a few years ago and landed square on my butt with my hands to the sides to break the fall. Right after, my butt hurt like all get out, but next day my butt was fine, but I had really sore wrists for a week after...

Posted by: GuyGene
Date: May 19, 2017 08:12AM
I feel your pain. I sometimes almost fall from tripping on a flat floor! Foot just seems to trip over nothing. Anyway, take care. We've got to be careful. Things are trying to get us. old fogey smiley

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 19, 2017 08:21AM
Sorry you took a tumble. Falling on pavement is just not fun. Last time I fell, I was trying to get a shot of something using my iPad, crossed the sidewalk a bit for a better angle, and failed to notice the chunk of sidewalk that was sticking up about an inch. Like any true follower of The Leader, my second thought (right after "Oh, @#$%&") was "Is my iPad OK?"
Date: May 19, 2017 08:35AM
ka jowct
Sorry you took a tumble. Falling on pavement is just not fun. Last time I fell, I was trying to get a shot of something using my iPad, crossed the sidewalk a bit for a better angle, and failed to notice the chunk of sidewalk that was sticking up about an inch. Like any true follower of The Leader, my second thought (right after "Oh, @#$%&") was "Is my iPad OK?"

I hear you. While I was wishing I had my phone I was wondering if I would have damaged it in the fall. lol

Posted by: billb
Date: May 19, 2017 08:38AM
The sidewalks here are asphalt like the street ( real granite curb though ) . Pretty thin asphalt though, not made anywhere as well as the street, so not flat. Full of lumps, bumps, ridges and cracks. I've fallen any time I try to pick up the pace to best a pace. Now anytime I'm going to really push I push in the street. So do the University track teams. Probably drivers wondering wtf is wrong with these people that can't use the sidewalks but the sidewalks are really useful only for leisurely strolls when they are made poorly and get old.
Course, you can fall on treadmill, so there's that.

Glad you're not picking gravel and glass out of your palms and wrists.

and get back on the horse !

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: May 19, 2017 08:51AM
billb
The sidewalks here are asphalt like the street ( real granite curb though ) . Pretty thin asphalt though, not made anywhere as well as the street, so not flat. Full of lumps, bumps, ridges and cracks. I've fallen any time I try to pick up the pace to best a pace. Now anytime I'm going to really push I push in the street. So do the University track teams. Probably drivers wondering wtf is wrong with these people that can't use the sidewalks but the sidewalks are really useful only for leisurely strolls when they are made poorly and get old.
Course, you can fall on treadmill, so there's that.

Glad you're not picking gravel and glass out of your palms and wrists.

and get back on the horse !

Part of the problem might have been that these are streets that only have the rough base coat down, they haven't topped it off with the final smooth layer of asphalt, so while relatively smooth, they are not concrete sidewalk smooth just rough asphalt. Only a little blacktop in the knee scrape. Hate that I ripped my jeans but guess I'll be fashionable now. lol

Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 19, 2017 08:58AM
Take it easy and let yourself fully recover. It's easy to get injured again by doing too much too early. Best wishes!
Posted by: blooz
Date: May 19, 2017 09:05AM
Aw, so sorry. keep the ankle iced and stay off it for a while.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 19, 2017 09:23AM
Ow. Bummer.

But no one is asking the tough question... you were exercising in ... jeans?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: May 19, 2017 09:24AM
jdc
Ow. Bummer.

But no one is asking the tough question... you were exercising in ... jeans?

I was just walking. lol.

Posted by: Pam
Date: May 19, 2017 09:47AM
That stinks! So sorry but glad it wasn't worse. Ever thought about getting walking/hiking sticks? They can help catch a fall before it escalates. Also good as defense weapon grinning smiley

Just an FYI, I'll trip over shoes and dog toys in my living room tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2017 09:47AM by Pam.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 19, 2017 09:48AM
I don't know about you, but I'm getting older every day.

Over the years, my sense of balance/coordination has declined somewhat, which makes me more prone to stumbles. I also think lessened muscle and ligament strength has something to do with it.

The important thing is to stay away from cliffs! eye popping smiley

"When the tree falls, the monkeys scatter." Chinese proverb.

Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination.

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." Jim Hightower

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2017 09:50AM by Ammo.
Posted by: raz
Date: May 19, 2017 10:18AM
Oh, you poor thing.

(pity play received)

Rest, elevate, and relax. I'm glad it's not worse.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: May 19, 2017 10:48AM
Sorry to hear that, hope all aches and scratches heal soon.

Paul

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 19, 2017 11:05AM
I fell crossing the street, years ago, striding along at a good clip to get to work. Ripped a favorite pair of jeans and injured the knee underneath the rip, and smacked my face near the left eye. I wound up with a pretty notificeable black eye. While waiting to cross a street a few days later, a young guy on a bike stopped as the light changed, looked at me, looked more closely, and said, "You need a better man!"

So at least I got a chuckle out of it.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 19, 2017 12:13PM
Ouch ! Sorry to hear, and hope you improve soon. Consider some strengthening exercised for your ankles. Mine were always the weakest link... I used to tape those suckers up in competitions.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 19, 2017 12:44PM
I'm glad you are recovering nicely!

Must be catching because I also took a minor tumble yesterday. I was helping my brother move a heavy chest of drawers and when we went to lower it, I forgot how big my belly was and abruptly discovered there wasn't room for it between the rest of me and the chest. I squished backwards, dropping the chest and rolling on my back but only from a foot off the floor. My elbows took the brunt but fortunately it was 50F outside so I was wearing a sweatshirt and only lost some elbow skin on the concrete floor. My brother found it very humorous. And the chest was unscathed.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: May 19, 2017 02:07PM
Thanks for all the kind thoughts. I picked up an ace bandage but am elevating and it icing down for a bit before I wrap it up. Also popped an ibuprofen to hopefully help with the swelling.

I think it was the shoes I was wearing that probably contributed. I remember now that they tend to be a little "sticky," so I think that was at the root of the problem, along with the faster pace.

I badly sprained this ankle when I was in my early twenties, so it is probably my weakest point.

I am trying to walk as normally as possible, when I have to, just very slowly and deliberately. Planning on taking it easy over the weekend. Luckily I have absolutely nothing planned.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 19, 2017 05:56PM
Sorry to hear you took a tumble! Hope you heal up quickly.

One question. Were you chewing gum?

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Date: May 19, 2017 07:00PM
Rick-o
Sorry to hear you took a tumble! Hope you heal up quickly.

One question. Were you chewing gum?

lol. That was mean, and no. Ha ha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2017 07:01PM by rgG.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 21, 2017 12:33AM
But your thong survived, right?
Date: May 21, 2017 08:51AM
Racer X
But your thong survived, right?

Better late than never, I guess. Should have known this was coming. LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 286
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015