advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $158.73 ( +0.06 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New drone, 2 flights, no crashes. Video to prove it!
Posted by: archipirata
Date: May 19, 2017 09:47AM
The second flight with the Phantom 3 was far better controlled than the first. The controls certainly take some getting used to. Pretty happy with the first attempt at video although I haven't even begun to work on tweaking camera settings. So far just glad I haven't crashed it!

[www.youtube.com]

Athens, OH
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New drone, 2 flights, no crashes. Video to prove it!
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 19, 2017 10:03AM
Cool! It's just starting to sink in how completely this is going to change filmmaking, especially in certain genres, ESPECIALLY as the AI navigation in these guys gets better.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: DP
Date: May 19, 2017 10:06AM
That's a lot of lawn to mow!

Posted by: Acer
Date: May 19, 2017 11:09AM
Niiice.
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 19, 2017 04:44PM
Nice lady you got there! I can't believe it's been 6 years. your post seems like yesterday. Things always get better, always.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 19, 2017 10:39PM
While watching that video I have two questions. 1) Who mows all that grass and 2) does your drone do GPS coordinates? I've been thinking about making the plunge into this field but I really don't want to navigate the drone myself. I want to direct it via gps to nearby interesting (not people) things to see. Right now the main road from my house to the rest of town is under reconstruction for multiple months. I would love to fly a drone over that once a week to view the progress.
Date: May 20, 2017 09:33AM
The property is where we used to live. It is owned by my wife's father and uncle and is currently on the market. A cousin who lives down the road mows those fields a couple times a year with his big farm tractor.

Yes, fully GPS directed. You can set waypoints, points of interest, etc. by GPS and it will fly to the spots you tell it to. You also see real-time video on your mobile device as it flies and have full manual control as well.

Athens, OH
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: May 20, 2017 10:36AM
To me, this is the ultimate toy...would love to have one. But, I can really see very real uses in many fields. Very nice.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 20, 2017 05:47PM
In looking at amazon I see a standard model, a 2.7k model with gimbal, and a 4k model. Which model do you recommend? I also see a wifi extender kit and some spare parts kits. Worthwhile?
Date: May 20, 2017 06:14PM
For a starter model, I got a factory refurbished standard model that has the gimbal and 2.7K video. Newegg had them on sale a couple of weeks ago for $314 and I had a $15 off coupon so I got it shipped for $299. A lot of tech for the money in my opinion. It doesn't have the range of the higher models, mine goes about a quarter mile with decent signal, the higher end ones go several miles. Super stable flight. Controls aren't too difficult to get your brain around. The standard version also has the longest batter life at 25min. flying time. I wouldn't bother with a range extender until you really know if your flying style calls for it. I don't fly further than I can see it so not problem for me. I did get a larger device holder that attaches to the remote so I could fit my ipad instead of iPhone. The only other thing I'm thinking about getting is a second battery but they cost almost half as much as the whole drone!

Athens, OH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 259
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015