Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Nice article on Anker
Posted by: numbered
Date: May 23, 2017 11:29AM
In The Verge, about how they formed and how they do what they do.....finding a niche where Apple has left some room.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Nice article on Anker
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 23, 2017 11:58AM
Belkin be like, Really?

If I ever plug this in at an airport, other people plug in like it's theirs, which is cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2017 12:01PM by vision63.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 23, 2017 12:05PM
Put simply: they make really good products at reasonable, but not rock bottom, prices. I have about 2 dozen of their cables, adapters, chargers, and batteries at home and work, great stuff.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 23, 2017 12:22PM
One port on one of their five port USB chargers died. Seems I was just out of warranty so, Customer "Service" basically told me I was SOL. Considering that there are NO moving parts and, the unit just sits on a desk doing nothing for 16 hours a day, I don't think I was being unreasonable in expecting a "courtesy" replacement. I'll stick to brand names like Belkin from now on. old fogey smiley
Posted by: rz
Date: May 23, 2017 12:22PM
Lifehacker seems to love them (or maybe they're owned by the same people). They seem to mention them almost daily.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 23, 2017 12:44PM
I have a couple of their USB drive enclosures. Not bad but not great either. With one, it's difficult to get the drive out, and the other one is prone to the drive becoming disconnected inside the case. I like my Anker charging gizmos and the USB dock has worked OK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2017 12:44PM by ka jowct.
Date: May 23, 2017 12:59PM
ka jowct
I have a couple of their USB drive enclosures. Not bad but not great either. With one, it's difficult to get the drive out, and the other one is prone to the drive becoming disconnected inside the case. I like my Anker charging gizmos and the USB dock has worked OK.

Gizmos, Doo-hickeys and whatchamacallit's.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 23, 2017 01:09PM
vision63
Belkin be like, Really?

If I ever plug this in at an airport, other people plug in like it's theirs, which is cool.

That and sharing a power strip are the two best ways to make new friends at the airport.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 23, 2017 01:09PM
Test,

I wouldn't expect Belkinor any other big name company to offer a courtesy replacement for a just out of warranty product either. If they do, great. I'd say thank you. But, I wouldn't contact the manufacturer about it with the expectation they'll do a courtesy replacement for an out of warranty product. That would be unreasonable.

Robert
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 23, 2017 01:10PM
testcase
One port on one of their five port USB chargers died. Seems I was just out of warranty so, Customer "Service" basically told me I was SOL. Considering that there are NO moving parts and, the unit just sits on a desk doing nothing for 16 hours a day, I don't think I was being unreasonable in expecting a "courtesy" replacement. I'll stick to brand names like Belkin from now on. old fogey smiley

Out of warranty is out of warranty. Odd that you have an expectation otherwise.

It is what it is.
Posted by: JPK
Date: May 23, 2017 02:19PM
I really like their stuff. It seems to right in my quality/price wheelhouse. I got hooked on their lightening cables after terrible experiences with Apple and others.

I have a lot of their stuff. The keep getting better and better too.

I hate that they give discounts - but make you really work hard to get them (surrender all your personal info).

JPK
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 23, 2017 03:00PM
N-OS X-tasy!
vision63
Belkin be like, Really?

That and sharing a power strip are the two best ways to make new friends at the airport.

I carry a 9' lightweight extension cord with a triple outlet end. I can usually find an outlet, or get someone to give up theirs, so I can plug in the cord, and we all move away 10', get some room to spread out, and now myself and one other can plug in.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 23, 2017 03:09PM
i discovered Anker three years ago and buy their products with little hesitation. price is right. customer service is great. had a pair of bluetooth earbuds that began to sound crappy and cut in/out after about 8 months. i was sent a replacement without hesitation. my anger vertical mouse died after a little over a year and a half but it worked well while it lasted and whatdoyawant for $20?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: May 23, 2017 03:19PM
Hi everyone,

Interesting article. However, something not mentioned is that Anker doesn't necessarily sell only its own products. Some of them are the same product other companies are selling, just repackaged or repackaged with a different accessory with the Anker name slapped on it. USB 3.0 hubs come to mind. Here is an example:

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

They appear to be the same hub.

This is not to say it's a bad thing. I'm a big fan of Anker products. I just realize that sometimes, the difference between an Anker product and one of its competitors might just be the name slapped on it.

Robert
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 23, 2017 03:39PM
Robert M

They appear to be the same hub.

This is not to say it's a bad thing. I'm a big fan of Anker products. I just realize that sometimes, the difference between an Anker product and one of its competitors might just be the name slapped on it.

Robert

Anker gives a longer warranty. can't say if the other brand gives the same level of customer service.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: May 23, 2017 03:41PM
Those two aren't exactly the same as one has an LED light and the other doesn't but it's likely that they come from the same Chinese source.
Date: May 23, 2017 03:52PM
Lew,

Ah! Missed that. Still, though, I believe you're correct. Same source. The overall design is used by a bunch of different companies. Some with the light. Some with different slots. Same basic design, though.

Robert
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: May 23, 2017 04:05PM
Lew Zealand
Put simply: they make really good products at reasonable, but not rock bottom, prices. I have about 2 dozen of their cables, adapters, chargers, and batteries at home and work, great stuff.

...with some good marketing and customer service. That's the bottom line.

The "beating Apple and Samsung" part of it is overwrought, if not mildly clickbaitish.

Anker buys from the same suppliers that everyone else does. But they do have a greater hand in injecting their own design and little features into most (but not all, as Rob notes) of their products, instead of just slapping their label on stuff like a lot of Amazon sellers do.

(Visit a Chinese B2B site, or even eBay to get an idea of how generic a lot of accessories are, and how much they can be marked up)

Market/package it nicely, and back it with good support (their stuff still goes bad like everyone else), and they've built a following (and inspired copiers).

Users can reasonably expect that they're not a fleeting brand, and won't disappear like some of those sellers do, and if something goes wrong within those 18 months (which was the longest warranty when it started, but can now be surpassed), it will be taken care of.

But their stuff does come at a bit of price premium, and their marketing promos can be convoluted, if not poorly executed sometimes (recall the sign up discounts that could only be spent on their own web storefront, with nothing to little actually for sale, or the recent wall charger promo, which had to be run twice).

Good to have around, not just as a user, but to set the bar for others.
Date: May 23, 2017 05:20PM
Bimwad
Lew Zealand

The "beating Apple and Samsung" part of it is overwrought, if not mildly clickbaitish.

Anker buys from the same suppliers that everyone else does. But they do have a greater hand in injecting their own design and little features into most (but not all, as Rob notes) of their products, instead of just slapping their label on stuff like a lot of Amazon sellers do.

(Visit a Chinese B2B site, or even eBay to get an idea of how generic a lot of accessories are, and how much they can be marked up)

Market/package it nicely, and back it with good support (their stuff still goes bad like everyone else), and they've built a following (and inspired copiers).

I have a counterpoint. An example of the difference between Anker and the other Chinese products knockoffs are the 3 batteries I've bought for 3 older Apple MacBooks. 2 from no-name Chinese companies were advertised as ~5400 MAh and came in at about 3400 MAh. I anticipated this based on other peoples' reports and for 1/4 of Apple's price (~$30) I'm happy with that as they are low-use computers. I paid more than that for an Anker (~$50) because this computer gets regular use and it came it at 5300 MAh.

There is a difference between Anker and other Chinese products.
Date: May 23, 2017 09:18PM
Lew Zealand
Bimwad
Lew Zealand

I have a counterpoint. An example of the difference between Anker and the other Chinese products knockoffs are the 3 batteries I've bought for 3 older Apple MacBooks. 2 from no-name Chinese companies were advertised as ~5400 MAh and came in at about 3400 MAh. I anticipated this based on other peoples' reports and for 1/4 of Apple's price (~$30) I'm happy with that as they are low-use computers. I paid more than that for an Anker (~$50) because this computer gets regular use and it came it at 5300 MAh.

There is a difference between Anker and other Chinese products.

China says they can make it cheap or top shelf.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 23, 2017 09:40PM
vision63
ka jowct

You left out the doo-dads and thing-a-ma-bobs, young whippersnapper.
Date: May 23, 2017 11:08PM
ka jowct
vision63
ka jowct

You left out the doo-dads and thing-a-ma-bobs, young whippersnapper.

Consarnit! Summer's a comin' and I doan no whut in tarnation yore talkin' 'bout!!!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 24, 2017 08:52AM
......Ankers.....away....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: SteveO
Date: May 24, 2017 12:34PM
I am a fan. Had a warranty issue on a portable charger and called on very last day of warranty. They took care of it quickly and sans issues.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 24, 2017 03:46PM
We have one of their USB power banks, and it works great. I am now going to order several multi port 2 amp USB wall chargers from their eBay store. That power bank takes a LOOOOOONG time to charge.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015