advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
T-8 LED fixtures on sale
Posted by: flareslow
Date: May 28, 2017 07:27PM
I recall a post about 10 days ago on this topic. HD has some on sale- made by Philips. Deal from the old site.

Philips T-8 LED

About $50 for a 10-pack with free shipping.

I'm going to try them in the barn.

Mike
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: T-8 LED fixtures on sale
Posted by: billb
Date: May 28, 2017 08:01PM
Make sure your ballasts are on the list of compatible ballasts on their website.
If not they will (likely) light for about 15 seconds and never light again.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2017 08:01PM by billb.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: May 28, 2017 08:28PM
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that issue. I downloaded the list and will check before installing.

It's always sumthin"

Mike
Posted by: davester
Date: May 28, 2017 08:29PM
Personally I'd avoid these because they require a ballast, a significant failure point.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Cary
Date: May 28, 2017 08:41PM
I agree - I'd get the line voltage ones, and remove the ballasts from the circuit.
Posted by: max
Date: May 29, 2017 12:58AM
Agree,
Overall it is not a great deal, it is about the same per unit pricing available from Sam's and Costco ....
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 29, 2017 04:30PM
Best I have ever seen at the Costcos in Seattle is $14 for 2 when they have instant rebate, usually $18 for two.
Posted by: billb
Date: May 29, 2017 04:43PM
I think I paid 7 bucks for the philips one I experimented with and destroyed. AT HD.

The ones that work with or without a ballast are probably a decent investment, when the ballast goes, remove the ballast and continue on with ROI.
But may as well remove the ballast and then you just have a wiring conundrum as some are single end wiring and some are not.
But not all ballasts were wired the same either so having to rewire could be a wash too if your local store didn't/doesn't have an equivalently wired ballast.

I am still tempted to just put multiple cheapo ceiling sockets and multiple cheapo 60 or 75 watt A19 bulbs in the garage and not mess with these shop lights at all. I've gotten 25+ out of 4 of them and 1 is older. I just still kinda like that long tube of light in a work space.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: ADent
Date: May 30, 2017 01:36AM
I grabbed a couple of LED T8 bulbs (Feit and Philips) and neither would work with my ballasts. I grabbed new ballasts and all are happy for now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 169
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015